Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #5,252 of 5,996
Hey Guys, I have a couple questions regarding the Stealth.

1) How hard are these to drive. Would a ifi Signature Blue be okay to use with them when traveling?
2) Do these leak out a lot of noise? I read/saw somewhere saying that these don't isolate sound much, so they wouldn't be great to use in an office-like environment.
1) It should, but it depends on how loud you listen.
2) They don't leak (again, depending on how loud you listen), and isolation is very good in my experience.

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #5,253 of 5,996
1) It should, but it depends on how loud you listen.
2) They don't leak (again, depending on how loud you listen), and isolation is very good in my experience.
Thanks! I don't really listen to my music loud at all, so that's good to know. To put in perspective, I tested the out the Expanse using the ifi Signature at a shop and it drove it fine (at least when it comes to volume).

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #5,254 of 5,996

1) How hard are these to drive. Would a ifi Signature Blue be okay to use with them when traveling?
2) Do these leak out a lot of noise? I read/saw somewhere saying that these don't isolate sound much, so they wouldn't be great to use in an office-like environment.
#1 -- I gave up and only use the Stealth with a high power amp -- it sings so well with it!

I use a DCA Aeron 2 Noire with a Chord Mojo 2 for traveling. That said, I believe Dan Clark is an advocate of the Mojo 2 with the Stealth/Expanse because it's design enables it to power such headphones (I can't tell you why).

Oct 26, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #5,255 of 5,996

1) I use a ifi Go Blu with my Stealth when I'm portable, and it works well
2) They actually don't leak out that much at all. They are much better than other closed-backs I've tried

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #5,256 of 5,996
Thanks! I don't really listen to my music loud at all, so that's good to know. To put in perspective, I tested the out the Expanse using the ifi Signature at a shop and it drove it fine (at least when it comes to volume).
The Stealth are a bit more efficient than the Expanse, you should be good.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #5,259 of 5,996
Pretty fun thing to try since the Stealth takes eq so well: I used Jaakko Pasanen's autoEq to equalize the Stealth to match the Susvara.
Quite effective in my opinion, the soundstage actually becomes wider!
I have this theory that a mid scoop around 2khz has an effect on soundstage width, as 3 flagships renowned for their wide stage (Susvara, Meze Elite and Abyss 1266) all share this scoop.
The treble also gains quite a bit of "air" some might find lacking in the stock tuning.

Oct 27, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #5,260 of 5,996
Chord designed the amps explicitly to support loads as low as 8 ohms with a linear power scaling function. In other words they're made to be happy on lower impedance headphones. Some amps just crap out below 50 ohms, especially portable gear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #5,261 of 5,996
Got to try a broken in Expanse and begrudgingly, as I usually don't agree with DMS or anyone in the Headphone show, it does sound muffled. BUT only in respect to the Stealth. Compared to the Susvara, Expanse is still more intelligible albeit a bit wanting on the upper mids so in this duel, it doesn't sound muffled...but it sounds mumbly.

👆 Chain aune streamer + aune clock/ zen stream airplay/ neo stream airplay to tt2/pro iDSD to vioelectric amp with custom silver occ bnc and XLR.

When using occ copper bnc and xlr, Susvara sounds like the better headphone. Easy choice. The Expanse sounded too muffled, filed off on the top, fatiguing on the slam. Silver chain opened up the Expanse and showed the inherent resonance issues on the Sus.

On a souped up m17, (medium or high gain, whichever it was at max volume), Stealth is still better for me. On this case and the other chains, Stealth always sounded better and even more open than the Expanse.

The only case where Expanse sounds better than the Stealth is when m17 is on battery mode. The blacks are too lifted so the Susvara sounds underwhelming while the Expanse's sound is more preferred.

So....this is consistent with my apprehensions on the Expanse when looking at the graphs and from Dan's +2.5dB @175hz advice. The midbass bump on the Expanse masks the sub bass extension and thus, gives a smaller sound field than the Stealth and makes the Stealth a more open can experience than the Expanse. The midbass bump also encroaches into the lower harmonics of vocals so a lot of speech is veryyy mumbly.

Lastly, I have the RME on a souped up psu and it handles the Stealth very well and doing that +2.5dB @175hz EQ yields the same mumbly muffled sound. I tried lifting the 8-12k range but...nothing sounds good on what I was chasing as some needed highs. So on a good system, Stealth is the best choice that doesn't need any EQ at all. If Expanse sounds better on your chain, you know you need to work on your signal chain.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #5,262 of 5,996
If Expanse sounds better on your chain, you know you need to work on your signal chain.

I would replace Expanse with Stealth in your phrase IMO

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #5,264 of 5,996
The Mojo 2 is designed to current double with a low impedance load.
I can confirm Mojo 2 and Stealth work well. I maxed out the 20HZ and 125HZ shelves (for fun with some EDM). Incredibly deep and non distorted bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back