Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Nov 30, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #2,656 of 5,996
I'd love to read a comparison between Stealth and Solitaire P Bass.
Hopefully someone knows
I just received a pair of Solitaire P, I won't be able to do a direct A/B since the Stealth are no longer but I will give my impressions of the P against my notes of the Stealth. As an aside the more time that passes since I have sold the Stealth and the more I miss them, but NOT FOR THE BASS......Come on people. We lose all credibility when we speak in such hyperbole without the caveat of "to my ears"!

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #2,657 of 5,996
Woo audio headphone stand arrived today.
I don't know about you guys but I think it's an amazing, compact and gorgeous little setup!
Right, 10k USD down the drain, time for a (temporary) audiophile retirement I think...

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_162414503.jpg
    IMG_20211201_162414503.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #2,658 of 5,996
Decided to retest cradle to the grave from hostiles soundtrack for clipping on the stealth/benchmark stack today.

My normal quiet to very loud listening range is -30 to -10db on the amp -track volume and my mood depending.

I have tested it on tracks way up into +10db territory but only briefly as...hearing damage risk.

On this test track the amp cut out (protection circuit I guess?) At 0.0db. VERY loud.
I retested it ok at -3db and lost the stones to retest above that. The most intense parts of the track had the headphones literally vibrating on my ears almost tickling me.

At the point of amp clipping the sound was still sharp and crystal clear.
I actually wonder if by some DCA magic these drivers are even able to distort?
If they can, it'd take one hell of a powerful amp. I doubt anyone would ever be able to damage these drivers.

One more round of applause for @mrspeakers

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,659 of 5,996
Decided to retest cradle to the grave from hostiles soundtrack for clipping on the stealth/benchmark stack today.

My normal quiet to very loud listening range is -30 to -10db on the amp -track volume and my mood depending.

I have tested it on tracks way up into +10db territory but only briefly as...hearing damage risk.

On this test track the amp cut out (protection circuit I guess?) At 0.0db. VERY loud.
I retested it ok at -3db and lost the stones to retest above that. The most intense parts of the track had the headphones literally vibrating on my ears almost tickling me.

If they can, it'd take one hell of a powerful amp. I doubt anyone would ever be able to damage these drivers.

Enjoy them and keep reporting experience.

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #2,661 of 5,996

Did you use an AHB2 or the HPA4?

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,662 of 5,996
Anyone move from an Ether Flow C to these that can share their thoughts?
I came from drop ether CX which I consider close.

I called these Ether CX pro.

All the qualities of the old set that I loved (accuracy, imaging, clarity, precision, sound stage imaging and separation) were improved up to its price point and sets the highest bar on these metrics for ANY headphone at ANY price point.

The qualities of the CX that I did not like (Low bass quantity seemingly thin throughout spectrum and relatively brittle treble) Were completely cut out and replaced with again industry standard setting level quality.

What the Stealth does not do is change its tuning to be something like Grado sound or an Abyss sound or even a ZMF sound signature in that the goal was to stick as closely as possible to the Harman response curve outlet the nuance of the recording artist and production shine in the sound reproduction. These headphones are not colored any significant way as to add a heavy level of on head to post production other than to enhance in a very pleasing way all of the factors I listed above.

I mention this because one of the main and only reservations or complaints you hear about these headphones is that they are not “toe tappy” or that they lack “slam” or “musicality”. As objective as I Canby and leaning into the terminology as deeply as I could my understanding of what people think these headphones are lacking fall squarely and they are not being tune to have an elevated mid base response curve and to not have an elevated treble in the 8000 to 10,000 hz range coupled with having a slightly elevated response in the mids to allow for better more foreword, realistic overall instrument and vocal reproduction.

It’s possible that given all this it still will not be your cup of tea but if you loved the ether flow C Stealth beat those headphones out on every possible metric.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,663 of 5,996

All the qualities of the old set that I loved (accuracy, imaging, clarity, precision, sound stage imaging and separation) were improved up to its price point and sets the highest bar on these metrics for ANY headphone at ANY price point.

The qualities of the CX that I did not like (Low bass quantity seemingly thin throughout spectrum and relatively brittle treble) Were completely cut out and replaced with again industry standard setting level quality.

What the Stealth does not do is change its tuning to be something like Grado sound or an Abyss sound or even a ZMF sound signature in that the goal was to stick as closely as possible to the Harman response curve outlet the nuance of the recording artist and production shine in the sound reproduction. These headphones are not colored any significant way as to add a heavy level of on head to post production other than to enhance in a very pleasing way all of the factors I listed above.

I mention this because one of the main and only reservations or complaints you hear about these headphones is that they are not “toe tappy” or that they lack “slam” or “musicality”. As objective as I Canby and leaning into the terminology as deeply as I could my understanding of what people think these headphones are lacking fall squarely and they are not being tune to have an elevated mid base response curve and to not have an elevated treble in the 8000 to 10,000 hz range coupled with having a slightly elevated response in the mids to allow for better more foreword, realistic overall instrument and vocal reproduction.

It’s possible that given all this it still will not be your cup of tea but if you loved the ether flow C Stealth beat those headphones out on every possible metric.
You can’t seriously be saying “ANY headphone at ANY price point” and “objectively” in the same comments. You have heard every headphone? The hyperbole is too reminiscent of that over on Acult Science Review at this point.

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,665 of 5,996
Does someone here tried the DCA Stealth with a different cable? I am thinking about it, if stealth could improve with a premium cable, like a silver cable maybe.
Yes I purchased a set of hirose to 3.5mm adapters and used several of my Norne cables. I found my Norne Drausk Hybrid Silver/Copper to be good but the All Silver Norne’s to sound best with the Stealth. Brought out the highs a bit more and took advantage of the Stealth’s great ability to showcase the quiet parts of music.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,666 of 5,996

The noise isolation, comfort, lovely tonality, imaging/separation, and Harman curve-hugging FR makes this headphone a "set it and forget it" laid-back listening experience. No toggling with EQ settings needed. The lack of distortion means I can crank it for a while and still maintain comfort. I forget that it's a closed back sometimes.

I tried going back to listening with the 1266 TC and it was honestly harder to adjust to the sound than I expected. I am a big TC fan, but its tuning truly is wonky, especially compared to the Stealth which is IMHO executed to perfection.

My only quibble is that depending on the position of the cups on your head, I have to adjust now and then to rebalance the sound. If I'm not mistaken, i think the helix of your ears are meant to touch the inside of the earpads.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #2,668 of 5,996
The noise isolation, comfort, lovely tonality, imaging/separation, and Harman curve-hugging FR makes this headphone a "set it and forget it" laid-back listening experience. No toggling with EQ settings needed. The lack of distortion means I can crank it for a while and still maintain comfort. I forget that it's a closed back sometimes.

I tried going back to listening with the 1266 TC and it was honestly harder to adjust to the sound than I expected. I am a big TC fan, but its tuning truly is wonky, especially compared to the Stealth which is IMHO executed to perfection.

My only quibble is that depending on the position of the cups on your head, I have to adjust now and then to rebalance the sound. If I'm not mistaken, i think the helix of your ears are meant to touch the inside of the earpads.
Cool, PM me if you wish to ell the TC.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #2,670 of 5,996
You can’t seriously be saying “ANY headphone at ANY price point” and “objectively” in the same comments. You have heard every headphone? The hyperbole is too reminiscent of that over on Acult Science Review at this point.
I said “as objectively as I can” way to completely remove the context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back