Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 24, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #2,296 of 5,996
.. I don't speak about distortion .. but clipping due to lack of power available at 23 ohms of the Kann Alpha and M8V2 .. which doesn't occur with any 2x3W connected to the line out of both devices.
Any Chord DAC/DAP has an analog amp in the path to the 6.3mm connector or balanced connector if available.

Let's stop about this subject, until you have really tried a 23ohms 87Db/mv headphone behind your Chord Devices.
I use in the same league the Heddphone One and the DCA Stealth .. which both are clipping with a strong power amp in the path.
I have already posted..used the Stealth on the Dave, Diablo and Hugo 2.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,297 of 5,996
.. I don't speak about distortion .. but clipping due to lack of power available at 23 ohms of the Kann Alpha and M8V2 .. which doesn't occur with any 2x3W connected to the line out of both devices.
Any Chord DAC/DAP has an analog amp in the path to the 6.3mm connector or balanced connector if available.

Let's stop about this subject, until you have really tried a 23ohms 87Db/mv headphone behind your Chord Devices.
I use in the same league the Heddphone One and the DCA Stealth .. which both are clipping without a strong power amp in the path.
Even a Cambridge 200m can power it okay. Rumbles on Billie Eilish. Clean and no distortion though external amp can help a bit but not a requirement for enjoyment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-173726.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-173726.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211024-173813.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-173813.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 24, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #2,298 of 5,996
Sure, if someone gives me the Stealth, I will perform the same test.

So far, I have not heard a single headphone from the Chord Hugo 2 or Chord Dave where an amplifier was needed at all. The difference in sound was attributed simply to colour / distortion.

It is quite a joke that people think you need this big amplifier when you got super powerful computers like a M1 Max 16” MBP that runs of this tinny little adapter.
I tried my Abyss on the Hugo 2, it's anemic, especially for the low end. On the TT2+Mscaler combo it is night and day especially for genres such as EDM or drum and bass.

@Barone Birra Sure, will do. :)

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,301 of 5,996
When the ears touch the inside of the earbud, a crackling sound is heard. Has anyone encountered such a situation?
To do this, you need to press the headphones to your ears.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,302 of 5,996
When the ears touch the inside of the earbud, a crackling sound is heard. Has anyone encountered such a situation?
To do this, you need to press the headphones to your ears.
Yes same here.

As for the power issues referred to several posts ago I find the Stealth to be anemically inefficient and power hungry. If the Utopia is a 3 on the power required scale, the Diana V2 a 5, the 1266 a 7, the Susvara a 10, then the Stealth is an 8.5. I go to between 12-1 o’clock on the dial of the Ferrum Oor at 0db gain mode whereas the Susvara is at 2pm for the same spl. #science

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2,304 of 5,996
Since you have both, could you make me a comparison between Utopia and Stealth?
I've been listening to both for a while (on the Shanling M30) and I'm surprised how similar both are to each other, except for the sub-bass and bass being more prominent on the Stealth, not too much to be overbearing but to my ears, just the right amount to be enjoyable. The notes on the Stealth has more weight to them when compared to the Utopia.

Soundstage was close to equal on both, not too wide and not too intimate, however, since the Stealth's are closed backs, the added isolation and blackness of the background due to lower resonances really shine when comparing them against the Utopia. It's as if you're sitting in a well treated room, listening to your favorite speakers.

Mids also go to the Stealth; vocals and instruments are slightly more natural than the Utopia. On the treble side, both are equally revealing without being sibilant, however, to my ears, I feel the Utopias have slightly better transients and dynamics, but not by much.

If you're used to the Utopia's sound signature, the Stealth wouldn't be much of a departure, but you'll be getting better isolation, lower resonances, better mids and a similar soundstage and treble response.

I think the Stealth's will be a good closed back option for Utopia lovers. The details are there along with the excellent timbre, tonality, separation and imaging. :)

Hope that helps! (maybe not for your wallet. :) )

20211024_174605[1710].jpg

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,305 of 5,996
On the Dave:
Audeze Sine: -17dB
Audeze LCD4: -14dB
Stealth:-15dB
Max: is 19dB

Hugo2 can comfortably drive all 3 headphones too. The reason you think you need to crank it up is because you are hearing more distortion in the chain than the music signal and it's killing the dynamics.

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2,306 of 5,996
I've been listening to both for a while (on the Shanling M30) and I'm surprised how similar both are to each other, except for the sub-bass and bass being more prominent on the Stealth, not too much to be overbearing but to my ears, just the right amount to be enjoyable. The notes on the Stealth has more weight to them when compared to the Utopia.

Soundstage was close to equal on both, not too wide and not too intimate, however, since the Stealth's are closed backs, the added isolation and blackness of the background due to lower resonances really shine when comparing them against the Utopia. It's as if you're sitting in a well treated room, listening to your favorite speakers.

Mids also go to the Stealth; vocals and instruments are slightly more natural than the Utopia. On the treble side, both are equally revealing without being sibilant, however, to my ears, I feel the Utopias have slightly better transients and dynamics, but not by much.

If you're used to the Utopia's sound signature, the Stealth wouldn't be much of a departure, but you'll be getting better isolation, lower resonances, better mids and a similar soundstage and treble response.

I think the Stealth's will be a good closed back option for Utopia lovers. The details are there along with the excellent timbre, tonality, separation and imaging. :)

Hope that helps! (maybe not for your wallet. :) )

20211024_174605[1710].jpg
I find the Utopia to be several notches above the Stealth on Dynamics and bass impact. Our ears/hearing are one of the last bastions of individuality we have left!

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #2,307 of 5,996
I find the Utopia to be several notches above the Stealth on Dynamics and bass impact. Our ears/hearing are one of the last bastions of individuality we have left!
Indeed, totally agree, not only that, but our audio chains will add to the difference too. I didn't mention the bass impact, but yes you are right. Those "knocks" and "taps" are more on the Utopia's dynamic drivers than the Stealth. :)

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,308 of 5,996
Checked for you, they're enjoyable, but the low-end is slightly impacted. The main track I tested this with is also a track that @newworld666 asked us to test "Cradle to the Grave by Max Richter".

On the Chord stack, and to a lesser extent the iBasso DX300 and M30 Shanling, the sub-bass rumble would shake the Stealth. You'll be able to feel the ebb and flow of the low end. This was not there on the Chord Hugo 2 unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, the bass is there and it's enjoyable, the above track might be considered a different case based on your playlist.

Colour to the Moon by Allan Taylor sounded fantastic, the guitar crunches and vocals came out beautifully. Jazz, classical and pop also sounded great.

So all in all, it would depend on what genre you are listening to. Chord Hugo 2 would be good. :)

It's good to know that the Stealth will scale better with more clean power, it's a great tool and like what @801evan said will change with your audio chain.

20211024_112420[1708].jpg
Thanks for the evaluation, my idea was to use them with the CH2 while travelling but maybe I have to reconsider….

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #2,310 of 5,996
Sure, if someone gives me the Stealth, I will perform the same test.

So far, I have not heard a single headphone from the Chord Hugo 2 or Chord Dave where an amplifier was needed at all. The difference in sound was attributed simply to colour / distortion.

It is quite a joke that people think you need this big amplifier when you got super powerful computers like a M1 Max 16” MBP that runs of this tinny little adapter.
the susvara and abyss TC and to a lesser degree the lcd-4 require an amp with the dave...most others dont

Users who are viewing this thread

Back