Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #181 of 5,996
Yup, I agree with your sentiment. Protein leather or synthetic leather is absolutely unacceptable at this price point. It doesn't matter how good the quality of synthetic leather is, it will not last long. It doesn't matter where I encountered synthetic leather, whether it be some sofa furniture or even some luxury cars it will eventually start to peel in small bits. It might not crack like leather that isn't conditioned well, but it will eventually peel. If you take care of leather well, it will last you generations.
But do you really expect your earpads to last generations? I'm a ZMF guy, and love the lambskin pads. But even those are only good for a year or two of heavy use before they need changing. the leather itself is fine usually, it's the foam inside that loses it's elasticity and flattens. And that is an issue all pads face, the stuffing, whatever it's made of, starts to flatten and lose cushion. so even if the leather covering looks new, the pad still has to get tossed. I always feel bad tossing my ZMF pads, but in the end when they're compressed and saggy, it's time to go, regardless of how good the leather still looks.

also, good synthetic materials can be durable. i have a synthetic leather grip system for my camera, and the material is very similar to what you'd find on some ear pads. i thought for sure it would start to peel and flake like my old ATH headphones did. But nope, almost 2 years in and it's still holding together wonderfully. it's discolored as heck, but that's because i'm a sweaty pig, but that's another story...

bottom line lets give Dan the benefit of the doubt here, if he says it's robust and will last, let him prove us wrong.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #183 of 5,996
Yup, I agree with your sentiment. Protein leather or synthetic leather is absolutely unacceptable at this price point. It doesn't matter how good the quality of synthetic leather is, it will not last long. It doesn't matter where I encountered synthetic leather, whether it be some sofa furniture or even some luxury cars it will eventually start to peel in small bits. It might not crack like leather that isn't conditioned well, but it will eventually peel. If you take care of leather well, it will last you generations.
If the headphone becomes popular, which seems highly likely based on currently available information, someone will surely offer aftermarket leather pads for it.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #184 of 5,996
If the headphone becomes popular, which seems highly likely based on currently available information, someone will surely offer aftermarket leather pads for it.
And probably mess up the FR in the process ...

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #185 of 5,996

Good luck having the foam in your ear pad last generations. For most people the foam is going to fail before the material.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #189 of 5,996
Have you tried using Latex? It lasts more than memory foam in pillows but it won’t last generations.
i wonder if there's allergy issues using it? i only say that as my grandfather had a latex allergy and would blister and bleed when he came in contact with it. i wonder if pad manufacturers shy away from it for that potential liability?

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #191 of 5,996
i wonder if there's allergy issues using it? i only say that as my grandfather had a latex allergy and would blister and bleed when he came in contact with it. i wonder if pad manufacturers shy away from it for that potential liability?
Shouldn't be a factor unless there is direct exposure (I think the idea is to use latex instead of foam, so it would still be wrapped in something). But if might smell funny despite being wrapped. I had a latex pillow for a while and got tired of the smell.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #192 of 5,996
Shouldn't be a factor unless there is direct exposure (I think the idea is to use latex instead of foam, so it would still be wrapped in something). But if might smell funny despite being wrapped. I had a latex pillow for a while and got tired of the smell.
I have a latex allergy (luckily mild), so I know that is not true. The proteins in the latex that cause allergies can easily become airborne. So unless the interior of the pad is truly sealed, not just covered, there can be issues.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #193 of 5,996
I have a latex allergy (luckily mild), so I know that is not true. The proteins in the latex that cause allergies can easily become airborne. So unless the interior of the pad is truly sealed, not just covered, there can be issues.
Yikes, sorry, I did not know. So a doctor's office can't even have latex gloves around?

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #194 of 5,996
Leather just for the sake of making it "premium" doesn't serve a functional purpose when wearing a headphone. Yes, real leather can be pretty nice but it traps moisture and isn't optimal in humid environments. I'd much rather have a synthetic material if it solves that issue because I am wearing the headphone and trying to get lost in my music.
Leather because some just like leather and nothing else no matter how good it is or feels. I am sure they can easily offer this option too, ( if they want ) extra pair of earpads made of genuine leather in the package.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back