Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jul 13, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #2,146 of 2,602
While I consider both the Expanse and the Ca-1a great headphones, I really don't think that they have much in common except for that they are technically great performers (but this holds true for a dozen other headphones as well)

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #2,147 of 2,602
It is just childish to lurk in these forums from time to time just to pop up and repeat how much your latest toy is better than the others.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #2,148 of 2,602
It is just silly to lurk in these forums from time to time just to childishly pop up and repeat how much your latest toy is better than the others.
It's completely natural, I was very pleasantly surprised by my HPA4, especially in combination with the Stealth and I feel most of head-fi is "sleeping" on these so I take every opportunity to spread the good word. I feel no such need to do so with Susvara or the Holo May since they are community favourites.

I can imagine similar feelings with CA-1a owners since it is not a very mainstream headphone.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #2,149 of 2,602
It's completely natural, I was very pleasantly surprised by my HPA4, especially in combination with the Stealth and I feel most of head-fi is "sleeping" on these so I take every opportunity to spread the good word. I feel no such need to do so with Susvara or the Holo May since they are community favourites.

I can imagine similar feelings with CA-1a owners since it is not a very mainstream headphone.
This is a rolling process. Today it is "my headphone A is much better than your favorite", tomorrow "my HP B is much better than your favorite". Both Expanse and has Stealth, as also indicated by Dan, aim timbre accuracy, and it is why people like me who likes accurate sounding acoustic instruments, clean vocals in a comfortable fit package prefer them. If you like boom boom and splash splash, and nothing else, there are for sure many ways and options to get that.

But I don't go to other HP forums to say "my HP is better than your". I just mention that they are my favorites and explain, if I am asked why I like them. For me most of the TOTL brands that don't have the features I mentioned above are just uninteresting and don't even deserve my free time.

Just silly...

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #2,150 of 2,602
I agree that while it's great to share enthousiasm it should be done without disrespect for other peoples gear, tastes and choices.

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #2,151 of 2,602
Hmm interesting. Maybe I'll back to back Utopia and Expanse tomorrow and see if I'm misremembering. I don't recall any in my collection standing out as having obviously more impact.

Got any songs you like to use to test?

Traveling at the moment, but when I get a sec I can look at my canjam playlist and grab a few. And to be clear, I still prefer the Expanse over the Utopia by quite a bit overall, and am not putting much mileage on the Utopia.. it’s just a bit too closed in for my tastes.

Interestingly, my experience is the very opposite, but with a few qualifications . Timbre on the CA-1a in its default configuration is unapologetically and unambiguously terrible. The clarity especially in the mid range is really lacking and grainy. Only redeeming quality for me is its bass. First thought to my mind was that, it sounds like a broken Expanse.

When I add the star8 cable to the CA-1a and or apply the filters it becomes absolutely wonderful! Timbre issues become almost negligible and its technical performance is nothing short of prodigious. It's like audio alchemy. I personally prefer to not use EQ which is why I think I have gravitated towards the Stealth for quite some time now, but to my ears CA-1a with applied filters makes a compelling use case.

I am inclined to agree here though I'd caution about formulating an opinion about Expanse or Stealth from Can Jam. The DCA headphones seem to index higher for tonality and timbre than delivering the raw energy of the performance. I think Expanse due to the slight mid-bass heft conveys this energy a bit more than Stealth. The CA-1a even a bit more so. I'm personally satisfied with the dynamic impact on DCA headphones in my system, but whether that's enough to satisfy those masochistically seeking it is another thing all together.

I keep forgetting that I’ve never used the stock CA-1a cable. I’ve been using the Star 8 the entire time, and haven’t had any issues with midrange graininess. I may check out the stock cable once I’m back. Also, I just mentioned Canjam as another source of having tried the Expanse. I’ve had my own Expanse for maybe a few months now.

And again, just to be clear overall, I really like the Expanse. I do like comparing and contrasting, as well as being open and critical (both positive and not so positive) with pretty much all of my gear. Both of these headphones are excellent imho.

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #2,152 of 2,602
Yes, CA-1a with Star-8 and filters are requisite to a revelatory degree and one I've never experienced with any other transducer.
I wholeheartedly agree although I do not think that the CA with the star 8 without the filters is anything less than outstanding...with the filters IMHO they may well be the best HP I have yet heard

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #2,154 of 2,602
@mrspeakers Dan you owe me new ears or at least some hearing aids! :wink:
Before Expanse/Stealth I've never been able to push headphones so hard.
It's amazing how they keep up when you listen louder and louder.
While they certainly keep up, I consider their strengths to also sound full and engaging at low listening levels.

At least my average Listening volume on the Expanse is lower than on my other headphones.

Jul 16, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,155 of 2,602
Feels like a Classic Rock kind of day. I've spent most of the afternoon listening to good ol' fashioned AC/DC. Back in Black (1980), Razor's Edge (1990) and Live (1992). The Expanse is reproducing these tracks in a way I've never heard before, and possibly, the best I've heard up to this point. Angus & Malcolms guitars are panned left to right creating a wall of force. You an hear how incredibly tight they are tempo wise. Bass drum and snare have a natural air and snap to them that's addicting, combined with the bass guitar, it's layered like an onion. And Brian's voice front and center, never wavering.

Some of the Live tracks are hit or miss when it comes to recording quality, but the ones that hit are loads of fun. Heatseeker and Fire Your Guns debatably sound better live when compared to their studio recorded counterparts. Instruments have ample body, dynamics are confident and borderline tactile when combined with the amount of detail portrayed.

A great Sunday capped off by a great headphone. Can't wait to hear the rest of my collection with these.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #2,156 of 2,602
@mrspeakers Dan you owe me new ears or at least some hearing aids! :wink:
Before Expanse/Stealth I've never been able to push headphones so hard.
It's amazing how they keep up when you listen louder and louder.
Not sure if I should "like" that or not but glad you enjoy!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 21, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #2,158 of 2,602
Yesterday marked officially the 10th month with the Expanse.

It brings me joy with each song, and I never tire of it.

It is truly special to me.
My start with Expanse was not too smooth, especially after listening to one HP nearly exclusively for over a year: the Stealth. It was on classifieds for a few weeks, then I took it down, then put it back, then took it down again never to put it back. I didn't expect that it would overtake even the Stealth but it did eventually. :) But I value them both equally.

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,159 of 2,602
Yesterday marked officially the 10th month with the Expanse.

It brings me joy with each song, and I never tire of it.

It is truly special to me.
Time flies. Considering I have ordered mine a week after release it should be 10 months for me as well.
Unfortunately it will go on a trip back to DCA for maintenance. The gimbals seem to have losened on my unit :frowning2:

Luckily the Corina arrived in the meanwhile to give me strength during its absence

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #2,160 of 2,602
Time flies. Considering I have ordered mine a week after release it should be 10 months for me as well.
Unfortunately it will go on a trip back to DCA for maintenance. The gimbals seem to have losened on my unit :frowning2:

Luckily the Corina arrived in the meanwhile to give me strength during its absence
Time flies indeed. Unfortunate to hear about yours, but fitting timing to be able to give majority attention to Corina in the meanwhile. Looking forward to a comparison once you get it back. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back