Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 12, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #1,981 of 2,599
We're on the same page there. Susvara, TC and others are more open and spacious for sure.

For me, the Expanse is clearly just a step ahead than the Utopia, Caldera, etc. space wise. It's not by much at all, and they're closer together than apart, but it's still a bit ahead for me.

To your point though, we all just hear differently. :)

Even though I feel Expanse is less spacious, but have to admit, pin point imaging of each notes, is more precise with Expanse. Each notes placement has "laser sharp" focus.

Still Expanse is not headphone that I'm gonna paid for it, however, my friend (who lives in the same apartment floor as me), own Expanse, and we can easily swap our headphones once a while :L3000:

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,982 of 2,599
Expanse in the house. First impressions are positive. A subtle presentation-- doesn't whack you over the head on first acquaintance. I like it. Build, attention to detail, ergonomics-- wonderful.

A naive question: after the cable is attached, does one need to tighten the screws, or is just the insert and click sufficient?

IMG_20230413_152251.jpg

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,983 of 2,599
Expanse in the house. First impressions are positive. A subtle presentation-- doesn't whack you over the head on first acquaintance. I like it. Build, attention to detail, ergonomics-- wonderful.

A naive question: after the cable is attached, does one need to tighten the screws, or is just the insert and click sufficient?
Click and enjoy.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 13, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,984 of 2,599
Apr 13, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #1,986 of 2,599
I switched from the stock cable to a Double Helix Complement C OCC copper cable for a big all around improvement to the Expanse SQ.

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #1,989 of 2,599
I've had the Holo Audio Bliss for a few days now, and last night I used it extensively with the Expanse.

I purchased the Expanse the first day of release because I heard such great things about the Stealth. I was also really intrigued by the AMTS system.

When I initially purchased it, I was using the Pegasus and Soloist 3XP. I knew going in that if it was anything like the Stealth reviews, I was not going to get the best out of it with my stack even with the 8W of the Soloist, power and/or measurements alone isn't everything.

I was already in the planning stages of upgrading my chain (now a Spring 3 KTE and Bliss KTE) but still trying to decide what I wanted to buy and what that budget would be. I could have waited to get the Expanse, but I was so intrigued by AMTS and was looking for a TOTL set of cans I took a leap of faith and purchased them off of Headphones.com so I had the return policy just in case.

On my mid-fi stack while it sounded great and I liked them, it didn't sound, well in a word expansive. I'm not talking simply width and depth, but the air and body of the soundstage, but I still liked them enough (as an excellent all-rounder that had the ability to draw me into the music) to hold on to them and wait to see what my future upgrade would bring.

So, after some research and waiting till after the holidays, 16 weeks of waiting for the Spring 3 and Bliss (6 weeks waiting for the Spring 3 and then purchasing the Bliss a month later and waiting another 6 weeks) here I am.

On the Spring 3/Bliss it really is like having a new set of cans all over again, and now the Expanse really is expansive, and I love them. Clarity, speed, detail, and soundstage all took a very noticeable tick upwards. Still a great all-rounder that does not excel at any one genre, but whatever you listen too just sounds right. The Caldera still takes the top spot for me, because I love the ZMF sound, but it is really close in terms of which one I like better.

This little journey has helped shape this opinion; the Expanse is unforgiving when it comes to the chain you hook it up too and simply hooking it up to an amp with enough power or a DAC that measures well is not enough.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,990 of 2,599
Have Expanse night today to break my daily cycle of Caldera/Elite :)

Also this is my first time ever plugged Expanse to Ultrasonic Oblivion. They synergise really well. Big and spacious soundstage, with balance tonality and a hint of sweetness from Oblivion paired well with Expanse. The transient and decay of each notes still blazing fast, but fortunately there is no dryness in sound to be found.

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #1,991 of 2,599
Had a curious experience this morning: I occasionally have a tinnitus flare up in my right ear (perhaps/likely related to an ear injury a couple decades ago-- pain still can act up), and so have been taking a little break from headphone listening. Nonetheless couldn't resist putting on the Expanse this sunny spring morning-- had an excellent listening session (Bach Orchestral Suites), and after it finished, my tinnitus considerably decreased, almost disappeared (for now). Just to add, the Expanse is sounding very fine (at moderate listening levels of course-- keep your ear health!) Thanks DCA :)

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,992 of 2,599
Had a curious experience this morning: I occasionally have a tinnitus flare up in my right ear (perhaps/likely related to an ear injury a couple decades ago-- pain still can act up), and so have been taking a little break from headphone listening. Nonetheless couldn't resist putting on the Expanse this sunny spring morning-- had an excellent listening session (Bach Orchestral Suites), and after it finished, my tinnitus considerably decreased, almost disappeared (for now). Just to add, the Expanse is sounding very fine (at moderate listening levels of course-- keep your ear health!) Thanks DCA :)

I had an excellent classical session yesterday as well with the Expanse.

Btw, I've had some tinnitus and ringing issues as well. I started lowering my volume considerably and it's pretty much gone. It's a bit less satisfying to be honest, but I assume it's going to be best for the long run. Good luck! :)

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,993 of 2,599

Btw, I've had some tinnitus and ringing issues as well. I started lowering my volume considerably and it's pretty much gone. It's a bit less satisfying to be honest, but I assume it's going to be best for the long run. Good luck! :)
Similar for me.
As mentioned a while ago, the Expanse is the most satisfying headphone for low volume listening, which is probably a good thing for my long term health

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #1,994 of 2,599

Similar for me.
As mentioned a while ago, the Expanse is the most satisfying headphone for low volume listening, which is probably a good thing for my long term health

A useful trick to keep volume at safe levels for all-day or extended listening: get an app like Decibel X on your phone or tablet, set the phone down on a table then place one headphone cup so the phone's mic is surrounded by the pad and gently push to seal the pad to the phone/table. OSHA considers 80dB continuous to be the max volume for safe listening. Decibel X can show both Avg and Peak SPL so it's quite useful.

There's not a 1:1 mapping for how average SPL maps to your music but in general if it's electronica or pop that is compressed a lot, 80 dB peak may be close to 80dB average, while uncompressed acoustic music you might be in the 90dB+ peak range to be closer to 80dB continuous. I usually set my peak to 80-85dB unless it's something super dynamic like a symphony.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 20, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #1,995 of 2,599
A tip for Roon users: you can make great use if the volume leveling function to make sure you're not listening too loud.

Roon volume normalization will target -14 dB k-weighed average volume, and on my setup my Susvara gets to 94 dB with volume set to -17db with a 0dbfs digital signal.

So if I set my output volume at -17dB and enable volume leveling I'll be listening to 94 - 14 = 80 dB k-weighed average volume and I can be sure I'm not damaging my hearing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back