Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #1,202 of 2,599
try listening to it through a powerful totl amp it will knock your socks off
I do have a powerful tube amp at home that makes the Expanse sing, but there is something about the Tor balanced that is special.
It is a special type of headphone where you can gain with better amps, yet I feel like nothing is lost with my DAP. Still wonderful music that I can get lost in.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #1,203 of 2,599
Had some CanJam withdrawal so went to The Source AV in Southern California. @TSAVWayne and staff were really helpful and friendly. I stayed past closing on a Saturday and instead of kicking me out, they were happy to chat about audio and even asked me to listen to a set of headphones they had a question about.

Listened to the Expanse, Stealth, LCD-5, Meze elite, focal Stellia, Denon 9200 and 7200. The Expanse was my favorite.

Other impressions are accurate, it’s a balanced sound with excellent resolution, imaging, soundstage, and impactful bass. Somehow it ties all this together and is still musical. It’s a very enjoyable headphone and does well with every genre.

They definitely shine with power, I was underwhelmed without it. I tried them on my N8ii DAP and had to crank it to volume 90 on medium gain, P, Class A amp. Tried a Sony amp that couldn’t drive it on low gain. Chord TT2 could drive it but wasn’t a good match, was cold and analytical without bass. The Woo Audio WA33 made it sing. Was a huge difference and you could really hear the full range now with good bass impact.

I’m a bass head so I would still say they aren’t chest thumping bass, Denons are for that. The Stealth is a colder more analytical sound, soundstage is good for closed back but Expanse is bigger, more musical, and fun.

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,204 of 2,599
Had some CanJam withdrawal so went to The Source AV in Southern California. @TSAVWayne and staff were really helpful and friendly. I stayed past closing on a Saturday and instead of kicking me out, they were happy to chat about audio and even asked me to listen to a set of headphones they had a question about.

Listened to the Expanse, Stealth, LCD-5, Meze elite, focal Stellia, Denon 9200 and 7200. The Expanse was my favorite.

Other impressions are accurate, it’s a balanced sound with excellent resolution, imaging, soundstage, and impactful bass. Somehow it ties all this together and is still musical. It’s a very enjoyable headphone and does well with every genre.

They definitely shine with power, I was underwhelmed without it. I tried them on my N8ii DAP and had to crank it to volume 90 on medium gain, P, Class A amp. Tried a Sony amp that couldn’t drive it on low gain. Chord TT2 could drive it but wasn’t a good match, was cold and analytical without bass. The Woo Audio WA33 made it sing. Was a huge difference and you could really hear the full range now with good bass impact.

I’m a bass head so I would still say they aren’t chest thumping bass, Denons are for that. The Stealth is a colder more analytical sound, soundstage is good for closed back but Expanse is bigger, more musical, and fun.
I heard them out of the WA33 and WA23 and the WA23 was more for a basshead. Warmer, more bloom and more quantity. The WA33 was a very balanced sound but still with bass impact. And agree with you on the TT2, was very clean but analytical. Wasn’t a fan of any of the amp pairings that didn’t bring out its bass. I’m still very happy with how well the Naim HE pairs with it especially with people thinking it was going to be underpowered. Doesn’t have the tube magic but it’s one the warmer, bassier solid state pairing I’ve heard. I also have no regrets letting the original Utopia go.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #1,205 of 2,599
I might have missed this in the thread, but has anyone spent time listening to the Expanse with the Jotunheim 2? Curious if it has enough power to make them shine, and if it's a good pairing.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #1,206 of 2,599
1665982244651.png

brutal

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #1,207 of 2,599

Out of NFCA based amps yes that's how Expand will sound. I heard it out of a proper amp, and inverse everything that's on that list

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #1,211 of 2,599
I take it as a positive review from $omeone too $oaked in Aby$$ HP.

I mean Aby$$ made a video about overdamp 💦💦 headphones. 😂

Hes done with Abyss. He even said Atrium is basically his favorite headphone.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #1,213 of 2,599
He acknowledges high end tube amps bring these to life, then how can he not realize the lower end stuff just weren’t driving these properly?

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #1,215 of 2,599

Users who are viewing this thread

Back