Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #286 of 2,599
As someone that has often had quarrels with pure subjectivists on these forums and even tried to start a new thread called "Yes, objectivists do confirm their decisions by listening...", I may not agree on this at least for the mechanical properties of the drivers. I don't have any background on the engineering and properties of the materials used with Stealth. I was also surprised but I did some blind and couple test and we came to the same conclusion in multiple attempts. There is currently no difference between the two, but I was surprised to hear a slight difference between my Stealth that had hundreds of hours on it and another newish Stealth. My posts are here and here. Is it the pads? Is it the drivers? I don't know.
What it really is that either headphones has an emphasis and cut in a certain range in the FR. They play it loud so there's also a sort of ear trauma that is cutting certain frequencies, so hopping to the next headphone, there will be a new emphasis to acclimate to and a new frequency range to get ear trauma from all the while getting your hearing back from the ear trauma from the previous headphone.

End of the day, just get Stealth, Expanse and fix ur signal chain.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #287 of 2,599
If I’m listening at home I’m listening on Wywires platinum copper cable. It takes DCA products to a new level while keeping the warmth that these need IMO. If you can imagine further decongesting and further resolving these headphones that’s what I’ve found from Wywires.
Maybe that cable can be my anniversary upgrade. Good to know can improve further. I’m still adjusting to amount of detail they have now. Think once I get used to it, I can relax and enjoy the music instead of listening for all the detail and separation. They do work wonderfully at low levels too not losing any dynamics or details.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #288 of 2,599
Just want to add that my Focal Arche amp/dac also work’s excellent with the Expance. This was 2nd setup that I was going to sell but now permanently working from home, so it stays. Has no problem with power and has a high gain setting so volume only at 40 out of 100.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #289 of 2,599
I debate about whether this is Germaine to the exact topic but it may help some so I’ll expand.

For those coming from Stealth or other Closed back, the difference between the bleed out and bleed in is indeed significant (self note: open vs closed DUH) but I am completely unfamiliar with open backs external effects up to this point.

As I am burning in the Expanse at what I would call loudest listenable volume closed up with the 3d printed cup form in I can hear them playing like a thin speaker from all the way across the house, 35 ft away and 3 rooms removed.

This bleed out presents an issue for a number of my use cases, not limited to use in public/transit/kids practices and basically in any mixed company. The bleed in decreases the listening experience for anything other than curated quiet room listening without my young family home (AKA never).

I am pragmatic at heart and will only keep either the stealth or the expanse, but it is going to be a case of the temperamental princess vs the traveling bard. One may definitely take more of your breath away but the other is versatile and without baggage.

Going to give full 80 hours burn in to final A/B but for those wondering about difference between stealth/expanse, although expanse is no hd800 or even 1266tc with regards to FULL openness, it is a wildly different beast in terms of practical applications to a closed can.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #290 of 2,599
Maybe that cable can be my anniversary upgrade. Good to know can improve further. I’m still adjusting to amount of detail they have now. Think once I get used to it, I can relax and enjoy the music instead of listening for all the detail and separation. They do work wonderfully at low levels too not losing any dynamics or details.
This is the way.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #291 of 2,599
Nope. Less resonance than a room. No dead spot or otherwise. And I can turn and move my head..The better the loudspeaker setup is, the more razor thin the sweetspot is that even lowering my chin loses the illusion of 'being there. '
Headphones and loudspeakers are apples and oranges. Headphones can provide more detail and resolution but are a completely unnatural way to listen to recordings, save for compressed smashed modern pop ones, which probably sound best through earbuds. But it is the way I like to listen at the moment as I don’t have a speaker setup. But would you like to hear the music at a live event coming through headphones strapped to your noggin or coming from a stage? IMO you need that airborne bass and venue energy.

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #293 of 2,599
But would you like to hear the music at a live event coming through headphones strapped to your noggin or coming from a stage? IMO you need that airborne bass and venue energy.
I have not invested in a proper speaker setup because My wife and I travel for work, relocating every 3 months. It would take up too much space in the car and be a hassle to move. Before that I’ve always lived in apartments and worried about bothering neighbors.
This is a great argument to eventually go the speaker route. I’ll probably get a nice 2 channel system, with sub, when we settle down and purchase a house. Until then, I’ll continue to enjoy my headphones. :)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #294 of 2,599
Then I cross it off my list again.
20% price increase is too much

This was entirely exchange rate driven. Normally the distributors ignore small movements in currency but the Euro has plummeted this year and at $1 the distributors had to make adjustment to US price plus VAT at current conversion rates. They held off as long as they could be the magnitude of the change was too great. I sure wish it were otherwise, big currency fluctuations are hard for everyone.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 15, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #296 of 2,599
This was entirely exchange rate driven. Normally the distributors ignore small movements in currency but the Euro has plummeted this year and at $1 the distributors had to make adjustment to US price plus VAT at current conversion rates. They held off as long as they could be the magnitude of the change was too great. I sure wish it were otherwise, big currency fluctuations are hard for everyone.
In case that the exchange Rates change noteably again, would we see readjustmens even if it means a price reduction?

I must admit I didn't consider that the Euro lost all its value in the past few months. At the current exchange rate the price increase makes sense.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #297 of 2,599
In case that the exchange Rates change noteably again, would we see readjustmens even if it means a price reduction?

I must admit I didn't consider that the Euro lost all its value in the past few months. At the current exchange rate the price increase makes sense.

The distributors don't track small moves, they absorbed losses for quite a while until there was a 20% move on the Euro. Small movements won't result in any change either way. That said, first I can't comment on the future, if I could I'd trade currency, second it's really up to the distributors to set their local pricing. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 15, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #298 of 2,599

👍

23FC2B4E-65B6-4332-8E7D-249DA60CACD1.png

NOMAX

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #299 of 2,599

Same thing next door in Canada. With the exchange rate against the US dollar, we will pay $5290.00 for the Expanse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back