Dan Clark Audio (DCA) STEALTH and EXPANSE Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #166 of 186
EB73A6DF-8D07-4A83-88DB-5F3709FD9B83.jpeg

You must try this track on Stealth and Expanse. Slowly by Wallette on Apple Music Acoustic R&B

This is portrayed so beautiful and engaging. All I can say is wow.

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #168 of 186
How does the stealth perform with the Topping DX7Pro and the ibasso DX320? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
IBasso DX320 runs then very well with the amp12 and amp14. You’d be okay with the stock amp11 as well. It’s just the other two have more headroom.

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #170 of 186
is it worth buying the amp 13 for this?
The Amp13 will drive them okay. Not much headroom available given the relatively low output of the amp. Dan Clark stays 250mw minimum, I'm sure the amp13 is near that or a little higher. For acoustic and classical genres, the Amp13 will be good. However, when you get to bass heavy tracks, the amp13 will easily lose control of the Stealth in the bass and sub bass causing distortion.

May 20, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #171 of 186
Anyone experience early deterioration of pads on the expanse? I heard there is general issue on pads of DCA headphones.

May 20, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #172 of 186
Early days but the Holo May / Bliss KTE is so far a great pairing with the Expanse. Coming from the Benchmark HPA4/DAC3B, this feels more musical, a lot less sterile and warmer to my ears. Have only put about three hours in so far, but initial feeling is I am pleased with the synergy so far.

May 20, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #173 of 186
Anyone experience early deterioration of pads on the expanse? I heard there is general issue on pads of DCA headphones.
Haven't had an issue with pad deterioration. I've only found that the pad seams migrate a few mm over time so that they're less aligned with the foam underneath

May 25, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #174 of 186
Using GSX mini and it's a super huge room makes me believe that the music surrounds me. One strange thing I have to warm up to the sound until it gets amazing. Hope I don't have to sell them for another toy 😂 with eq it gets even better and I don't care to use eq. 😔 My favorite bass better then 1266 in correct amount to eq get a deeper kick drum so the bass doesn't seem that linear crap. I guess v shape folds create more of a woofer sound. I hate that they aren't perfect, but I'm going to stay with this one. Now save up for Woo WA-5. It's my favorite amp only owned four of them. I have a laundry list of toys. Why 🤔 Expanse over 1266(8X) is I can move around. The sound on the mini give holographic tube sound, but not rounded as much or pushed out like 1266. The 1266 has brighter sound that rocks harder and not fatiguing ever. Problem the gap and if you are listening to bass heavy music you got to stay pretty still. If a gab seals back bass goes to the other side, sucks to wear. So top to bottom above my head and below it. The stage is the addicting parts and with bass bump it gets awesome. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😱

Attachments

• PXL_20230526_024305024.jpg
    PXL_20230526_024305024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #175 of 186
With Hugo 2/Cayin C9 is my portable setup for Steath and Exspanse. But when I put them on the Riviera AIC-10 and my Nirvana Cable it’s in a different league.
I use Hugo2/C9 with a Stealth exclusively during travel or commute. I found the pairing to be ideal for portable, but definitely far from being able to extract last bit out of the Stealth. I am looking at testing an Enleum HPA-23RM to pair with the Hugo2 and see if there's any difference or improvements.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #177 of 186
I just found this query, and I have a query regarding the DCA Stealth.

I've had the Stealth for a short while now, and it's fairly unused.

The few times that I listened to it, I found it "hard" to drive,
ie. I use a RME ADI-2 FS DAC (but I use a 3.5mm jack,
to 4.4mm female for the Stealth's cable)

I can't go past the volume of 6 dB on the RME.

At other times, I use a Cayin RU6 dongle DAC,
and I have to turn it up to 80/100 to get a decent sound.

I feel the sound just can be "opened up" some more, if I had more amplifier,...but I don't :frowning2:

So, I'm wondering if there are some settings on the RME, that I haven't figure out yet,
or it's just a characteristic of the Stealth headphones that I need to get used to :)

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #178 of 186

I feel the sound just can be "opened up" some more, if I had more amplifier,...but I don't :frowning2:

So, I'm wondering if there are some settings on the RME, that I haven't figure out yet,
or it's just a characteristic of the Stealth headphones that I need to get used to :)
What is holding you back from getting a headamp? You get amazing performance for price these days and the Stealths will thank you.

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #179 of 186

I have no clue how you are not blowing your ears out at 6db on the RME. I think I measured 15db being 80-90db depending on the music. The RME can and does max out the Stealth.

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #180 of 186
I have no clue how you are not blowing your ears out at 6db on the RME. I think I measured 15db being 80-90db depending on the music. The RME can and does max out the Stealth.

Well, I know with my other IEMs (ThieAudio, 64 Audio, Softears, etc.),
I would not go past -12 dB even,...as it was so loud already.

So, with the Stealth, I was surprised that I hit the "max volume" at +6 dB,
unless my settings aren't right, ie. there's a "floor" that I can set the EQ or pre-mix volume to,
and it used to sit on -5 dB I think.

I got the RME last year, without a box or a manual, ... so I guess I still haven't really figured this unit out then :D

( Mine is the RME ADi-2 FS DAC [v1 - AKM Chip] )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back