Dan Clark Audio (DCA) STEALTH and EXPANSE Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #153 of 186
Its air moving the driver. The stealth does the same thing if you try pushing the headphones against your ear. Maybe the Expanse is more sensitive to it when you adjust the fit but it shouldn't be happening when you're listening to music unless youre getting up and dancing with an extra long cable making the headphone shift around.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #154 of 186
Its air moving the driver. The stealth does the same thing if you try pushing the headphones against your ear. Maybe the Expanse is more sensitive to it when you adjust the fit but it shouldn't be happening when you're listening to music unless youre getting up and dancing with an extra long cable making the headphone shift around.
Yup, same here. If you push the cups slightly toward your head I can hear driver crackling.
It seems like it's a normal behavior of planar drivers. Nothing unusual here, some of other planar drivers from different manufacturers were the same.
If you are not abusing them nothing really should happen.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #155 of 186
Has anyone here experienced driver crackles with the expanse when you put them on your head or adjust them slightly while they are already on your head?
Never had it on the Expanse but I know this from my old Audeze LCD-2C.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #156 of 186
I’m considering getting the stealth to use as my daily use home working headphone. Comfort is very important. I listen to all genres from classical to electronic and metal. I’m planning to use the fiio m17 in dc mode and the hugo 2. Could the stealth work for me?

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #157 of 186
I’m considering getting the stealth to use as my daily use home working headphone. Comfort is very important. I listen to all genres from classical to electronic and metal. I’m planning to use the fiio m17 in dc mode and the hugo 2. Could the stealth work for me?
They are very comfortable for long listening sessions.
I listen to all genres too. I’m mainly classical, acoustic, and rock. EDM is the weakest on the Stealth, but if you eq the bass up a bit, the Stealths respond very nicely.
You can run them straight off the Hugo 2 no problem by the way.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #158 of 186
M17 DC power can still sound underwhelming due to the distortion level of the M17.

Hugo 2, with a good transport and optical, it's a great pair.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #159 of 186
I listen to all genres too. I’m mainly classical, acoustic, and rock. EDM is the weakest on the Stealth, but if you eq the bass up a bit, the Stealths respond very nicely.
Cool thanks for the information. They do look very comfortable. I may need to sell some other audio gear to make up some funds

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #160 of 186
you can but in truth they need more power to shine

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #161 of 186
you can but in truth they need more power to shine
I'd say they scale with better sources more than they need more power.

However, given that they are designed to be portable, a source like the Hugo 2 will drive them very well. Rob Watts apparently uses DCA headphones with the Mojo 2 for a portable setup. The Aeon 2 Noire and I believe the Stealth were mentioned. Dan Clark states the 500mw will be adequate to drive the Stealths. I maxed out the bass on the Mojo 2 just for kicks and it drove the Stealths with some seriously hard pumping bass. No distortion. It puts out around 700mw IIRC. I don't feel the combo of Hugo 2/Stealth lacking by any means. I just didn't prefer the combination because I just didn't find the Hugo 2 to my liking. That's with any of my headphones, not just Stealth. But that's my opinion.

I personally hear no significant difference with my 11 WPC amp (PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP) vs the Naim Unity Atom HE (My main set up with the DCA Stealth).

YMMV :beerchug:

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #162 of 186
when I had my stealth and expanse I tried them both with my hugo 2 and thought they were fine but when I used them with my CFA3 it was a revelation...not taking anything away from the hugo 2 which I love

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #164 of 186
Count me convinced about burn-in now. When I first put the Stealths on, I immediately wanted to add EQ and went back to my Viking Ragnars.

However, however many hours of burn-in later, I'm listening to the Abbey Road remix by George Martin's son on M-Dave and it is an absolutely heavenly experience.

Great job Dan Clark!

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #165 of 186
Every time I put the Expanse or Stealth on they are underwhelming for a little bit then after a few minutes ………. I am speechless with how engaging they become!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back