Dan Clark Audio (DCA) STEALTH and EXPANSE Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #181 of 186
What is holding you back from getting a headamp?
You don't think the RME ADi-2 FS is a good amplifier ?

It's very capable and it can blow my IEMs, if I'm not careful with the volume.

I have no clue how you are not blowing your ears out at 6db on the RME. I think I measured 15db being 80-90db depending on the music. The RME can and does max out the Stealth.

@dougq

Since I posted in this thread, I got thinking and I just discovered something interesting.

I only have a 4.4mm balanced cable for my DCA Stealth.
I just got a 4.4mm Female to 3.5mm male converter jack,
and I used the 3.5mm jack to plug into IEM socket of the RME ADi-2 FS.

I can max out the volume knob at +6 dB, and the Stealth is comfortable to listen to, via the IEM socket.

I actually achieve the "same loudness", at around 0 dB when using the 6.5mm socket on the RME
( I use 4.4mm -> 3.5mm converter -> 6.5mm converter )

So, it feels like the DCA Stealth headphones does need some serious juice to be able to power it,
however, I'm surprised that with the IEM socket, I can max out at +6 dB, and it doesn't feel like I'm pushing the headphone
(but I can never reach this with IEMs )

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #182 of 186
You don't think the RME ADi-2 FS is a good amplifier ?

It's very capable and it can blow my IEMs, if I'm not careful with the volume.

@dougq

Since I posted in this thread, I got thinking and I just discovered something interesting.

I only have a 4.4mm balanced cable for my DCA Stealth.
I just got a 4.4mm Female to 3.5mm male converter jack,
and I used the 3.5mm jack to plug into IEM socket of the RME ADi-2 FS.

I can max out the volume knob at +6 dB, and the Stealth is comfortable to listen to, via the IEM knob.

I actually achieve the "same loudness", at around 0 dB when using the 6.5mm socket on the RME
( I use 4.4mm -> 3.5mm converter -> 6.5mm converter )

So, it feels like the DCA Stealth headphones does need some serious juice to be able to power it,
however, I'm surprised that with the IEM socket, I can max out at +6 dB, and it doesn't feel like I'm pushing the headphone
(but I can never reach this with IEMs )
I can absolutely tell you something is wrong in the setup that’s to a fault or you have a hearing profiles. The stealth do need power but the rme has enough to get it to deafening levels. At the 6.35mm socket at 0db it should be uncomfortably loud for virtually any type of music.

The rme I believe can get the stealths to 116 or 117db (I forgot it based on the power / current limit).

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #183 of 186
I can absolutely tell you something is wrong in the setup that’s to a fault or you have a hearing profiles. The stealth do need power but the rme has enough to get it to deafening levels.

My RME ADI2-FS is the v1 (there were a total 3 versions).
After I got it, I reset the factory settings (from memory!), and I updated the firmware.
I just updated the firmware, about 15-minutes ago, to the latest 2024-03-01 version.

I will clear the profile and/or factory reset it, and try it again and see how I go.

I've always heard the DCA Stealths are demanding, but I was shocked this week,
after receiving the 3.5mm adapter, that with the Stealths via 3.5mm with the RME DAC,
I could crank it to the maximum +6 dB and it was still OK to listen to.
BUT
the same 'loudness' is achieved around 0 db, when listening via 6.5mm socket.

I'm wondering if the quality of my adapters are playing a role,
ie. the 4.4mm-3.5mm converter, with the 3.5mm-6.5mm jack.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #184 of 186
... but the rme has enough to get it to deafening levels. At the 6.35mm socket at 0db it should be uncomfortably loud for virtually any type of music.

@dougq

Success.

I factory reset my RME ADi-2 FS.
Then, I went into my "Phones" settings (for the 6.5mm socket),
and when I choose the "Hi-Power" to be ON,
then, at volume -25 to -22 dB is already loud for me.

This setting was 'greyed out', before and maybe it was a bug with my RME.
Now, without the "Hi-Power", I can get the volume to around -6 dB , for it to be loud.

So, reset to factory settings did the trick!

In any case, I can't get the IEM 3.5mm socket to be loud,
and I can actually crank that up past 0 dB for the DCA Stealth.
When, I plug my high-end IEMs into that, it's already loud for me at around -18 dB.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #185 of 186
@dougq

Success.

Now, without the "Hi-Power", I can get the volume to around -6 dB , for it to be loud.

When, I plug my high-end IEMs into that, it's already loud for me at around -18 dB.
Congrats on figuring it out!

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #186 of 186
@dougq

Success.

The 3.5mm output on the Adi 2 dac fs is intended for IEMs. It’s capped at 40mW which is not enough for most planars including DCA Stealth and Expanse. See spec sheet: https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.html

I recommend using the 1/4 output (labeled phones). You get up to 1.5W per channel and that’s more than enough to get the Stealth/Expanse really loud. I listen at -20db to -33db except for low volume recordings, I raise it to -15db, but never higher than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back