Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #616 of 999
in Aeon 2 noire has big soundstage like hd800s ? Can Questyle M15 drive it ?
I recently owned the HD800s and now the Noire. I thought the 800s soundstage was overrated and the Noire is underrated. It has pretty excellent instrument separation and layering, particularly for a closed back. But, as is well known, they need a bit a power to come alive.

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #617 of 999
This is not only a matter of numbers, volume, and dB. Planars like these just need more juice to show what they are capable of. BTR7 is great but not for DCA Aeon.
This does not coincide with my own experience.

Just some days ago I did a comprehensive A/B comparison:
• Level Matched to within 1/100 dB,
• Blind, unsighted,
• Uninterrupted switching,
• Volume 3 clicks down on the iDevice (-4.5 dB from full), on the upper limit of my personally comfortable level.
• Music: Pop, Jazz, Rock, Classical from my Tidal Reference Recordings playlist.

Apple USB-C Headphones Dongle vs. RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE with the DCA Aeon-2 Noire.
30 mW vs.1500 mW power capability, in fact used ca. 10 mW.

1C17F700-5957-4242-9CA4-D66335F43736.jpeg
The difference was very minor, only in the treble there was a hint of harshness on the Apple, and depending on the music track the $10 dongle wasn’t clearly recognizable all the time.

Nothing beats personal experience, these type of precise A/B tests are true myth-killers.

Your mileages may vary, specially if one tends to listen very loud high power territory can be reached soon.
Every amp sounds bad if it’s power limit is reached.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #618 of 999

Just some days ago I did a comprehensive A/B comparison:
• Level Matched to within 1/100 dB,
• Blind, unsighted,
• uninterrupted switching,
• Volume 3 clicks down on the iDevice (-4.5 dB from full), on the upper limit of my personal Qcomfortable level.
• Music: Pop, Jazz, Rock, Classical from my Tidal Reference Recordings playlist.

Apple USB-C Headphones Dongle vs. RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE with the DCA Aeon-2 Noire.
30 mW vs.1500 mW power capability, in fact used ca. 10 mW.

1C17F700-5957-4242-9CA4-D66335F43736.jpeg
The difference was very minor, only in the treble there was a hint of harshness on the Apple, and depending on the music track the $10 dongle wasn’t clearly recognizable all the time.

Nothing beats personal experience, these type of precise A/B tests are true myth-killers.

Your mileages may vary, specially if one tends to listen very loud high power territory can be reached soon.
Every amp sounds bad if it’s power limit is reached.
Apple dongles are widely reported to be audiophiliacs buzz killers on various "hard to run headphones". So Apple dongles are more than just jack convertors there is some sort of boosting tech in them as well going on, I don't get it, it just looks like a line with the two different types of connectors on..?

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #619 of 999
Apple dongles are widely reported to be audiophiliacs buzz killers on various "hard to run headphones". So Apple dongles are more than just jack convertors there is some sort of boosting tech in them as well going on, I don't get it, it just looks like a line with the two different types of connectors on..?
The Apple USB-C or Lightning to 3.5mm headphone adapter is just a miniature straight DAC with headphones amp.
No wizzard-work in there.

I mistrust this “widely reported”, specially in the light of my own experience.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #621 of 999
Feb 5, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #624 of 999

The difference was very minor...
It might be that in some way you are just a "lucky" audiophile and you don't need to buy expensive equipment and can spare money for something else. No dongle cannot beat a proper amp with planar. No offense, just my 2 cents.

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #625 of 999
It might be that in some way you are just a "lucky" audiophile and you don't need to buy expensive equipment and can spare money for something else. No dongle cannot beat a proper amp with planar. No offense, just my 2 cents.

The guy is right. I just grabbed my old Apple headphone dongle and it's not bad for $10 as a headphone amplifier wise. The headphone amplifier is around the same level as a $3000 Sony DAP power wise. But I would recommend something a bit stronger for the AFC 2 Noire for music that is very soft / not loud (which is the same problem a $3000 Sony DAP also had with the AFC 2).

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #626 of 999
Anything that makes analogue "noise" is technically amplifying. There's a tiny chip inside.
The Apple dongle does contain an amplifier, although it's possible to do D/A conversion without amplification.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #627 of 999
Is it the cheapest headphone amp in the world the kinda?
At least it comes close.

Apple is in a position to do such stuff for very low money, because they order immense numbers of parts, build in China or Thailand while controlling the quality standard.
And then they have some of the best engineers, creating their own chips.

Impossible to compete for a boutique manufacturer, these have their own territory.

My go-to amp is my RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE, and some others.
So I don‘t use this dongle on a regular base, but it‘s great for occasional use.
It doesn‘t have any obvious flaws.
At a price of $10 - nothing to loose.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #628 of 999
Well I've got my Noires on the way, I'm excited to finally hear them! I'll give a report on the experience with my BTR7, as well as future impressions from the equipment I eventually get to give more juice down the road.

This'll be a big jump up from my previous over ear can, Fidelio X2 (non HR).

I've been a IEM guy forever, but wanted something that could deliver a more immersive experience than my Solaris 2020's on gaming and I think they will still travel well for my business trips.

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #629 of 999
So got the Noire today, and initial impressions are overall good. The BTR7 in unbalanced mode doesn't do these headphones justice, unless it's in usb direct mode...

I had a few dropouts in sound from the unit when pushing it to its top end power, but luckily am waiting for my 4.4 balanced Hart cable to arrive in the next few days.

When plugged in to my laptop and listening through Qobuz I really like the detail it retrieves and the planar sound that I've missed since my isine 20s.

The top end is not nearly as sharp as I was anticipating, but I feel like that may be because of the years of IEM use and especially the Solaris which has a very sparkly treble signature.

Overall satisfied with my purchase, but can't wait to see how they open up with more power. And if the BTR7 doesn't do it justice, it might be time for a Topping G5...

Edited to add: it seems like the issue I was having with dropout via Bluetooth was at fault of the Qobuz app. Switched over to UAPP and have zero dropouts, even pushing the BRT7 to top level, high gain, in unbalanced 3.5. Gets QUITE loud and has great sound....

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #630 of 999
So got the Noire today, and initial impressions are overall good. The BTR7 in unbalanced mode doesn't do these headphones justice, unless it's in usb direct mode...

I had a few dropouts in sound from the unit when pushing it to its top end power, but luckily am waiting for my 4.4 balanced Hart cable to arrive in the next few days.

When plugged in to my laptop and listening through Qobuz I really like the detail it retrieves and the planar sound that I've missed since my isine 20s.

The top end is not nearly as sharp as I was anticipating, but I feel like that may be because of the years of IEM use and especially the Solaris which has a very sparkly treble signature.

Overall satisfied with my purchase, but can't wait to see how they open up with more power. And if the BTR7 doesn't do it justice, it might be time for a Topping
Any plans to take it on walks ? I'm going to guess not it's not really the type of portability for actual walking around in but more being able to bring it around folded in the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back