Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #601 of 999
What about "socially agreed upon" noise cancelling headphone sizes?... I really want to go beyond that quality in a headphone for my walks and commute, the most similar in size is Audio Technica WP-900, a truly portable audiophile can that I am totally confident will be not sticky outy due to its size.. But then I go back the Noires and think , go on you only live once for a premiumpremium portable sound..but.. then the size is clearly twice the profile of the ATs and I get put off all over again.. the Noires are obv super portable in terms of folding up,, and good to bring it to other inside situations..but yeah.. would be nice it there was a video of someone moving around outside amongst public with them on to show what it's like...
If you want a stunningly good "socially acceptable" commuting headphone, check out the Solitaire T.

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #603 of 999
What about "socially agreed upon" noise cancelling headphone sizes?... I really want to go beyond that quality in a headphone for my walks and commute, the most similar in size is Audio Technica WP-900, a truly portable audiophile can that I am totally confident will be not sticky outy due to its size.. But then I go back the Noires and think , go on you only live once for a premiumpremium portable sound..but.. then the size is clearly twice the profile of the ATs and I get put off all over again.. the Noires are obv super portable in terms of folding up,, and good to bring it to other inside situations..but yeah.. would be nice it there was a video of someone moving around outside amongst public with them on to show what it's like...
I think, headphones have made their way into being fully accepted as fashion-accessoire.
The Noires really look good, so why not?

As with every fashion element, you have to “wear” it.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #609 of 999
As you can see, it really is a personal thing, with some respondents saying they feel headphones in public are quite acceptable…! Really is all about how you feel about it. I see the portability of the Noires as enabling me to take them on trips more so than wearing them outside, but ultimately to each their own!

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #610 of 999
As you can see, it really is a personal thing, with some respondents saying they feel headphones in public are quite acceptable…! Really is all about how you feel about it. I see the portability of the Noires as enabling me to take them on trips more so than wearing them outside, but ultimately to each their own!
Yeah that's the type of portability I think they go as far as advertising it really. There's not much evidence of people walking down streets with it on...but you can say that about a lot of headphones.. Personally I would like to try them on and see for myself but I'll have to travel to Amsterdam (oh well) on a headphone holiday.

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #611 of 999
Well I've finished the 41 pages of this thread and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set of the Noires as its my Bday next week and I need a solid self gift. Great information in here

I currently have a set of CA Solaris 2020 and Vega 2020s and love the sound from them, and one of my buddies that has similar taste highly recommended them. Had a set of iSine20 before and liked them as well and somewhat miss Planar headphones sound.

I don't really plan on having an elaborate home setup, as I travel a ton for work and want something that will be nice as an alternative while traveling to my IEMs.

I use a BTR7 as my primary amp/DAC, would you think that provides enough power to drive them from a 4.4 Balanced cable?

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #612 of 999
I use a BTR7 as my primary amp/DAC, would you think that provides enough power to drive them from a 4.4 Balanced cable?
Based on the specs (300 mW) and amp chips used (2x THX AAA-28): yes.
Peak Volume should be about 112-117 dB SPL / ~95 dBA Leq (long term average).

This is 10 dB above what‘s healthy, enough headroom to work with.

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #613 of 999
Well I've finished the 41 pages of this thread and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set of the Noires as its my Bday next week and I need a solid self gift. Great information in here

I currently have a set of CA Solaris 2020 and Vega 2020s and love the sound from them, and one of my buddies that has similar taste highly recommended them. Had a set of iSine20 before and liked them as well and somewhat miss Planar headphones sound.

I don't really plan on having an elaborate home setup, as I travel a ton for work and want something that will be nice as an alternative while traveling to my IEMs.

No worries. I have run my Aeon 2 Closed and my daughter's Aeon 2 Noire from a Hipdac 2 successfully. And over time if you decide to beef things up a bit I can assure you your Noire will scale with more powerful equipment. I now run them off either my RME ADI 2 or Quicksilver HPA and they sound great. If you like planar sound, you should be very pleased. Enjoy!

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #614 of 999

Great, I've been waffling on whether the equipment I use on the go would be a limiting factor, and eventually want to get a Mojo2 to cover all the bases. I'm glad to hear that it'll be sufficient off the get go as to not let the AFN down.

I'll report my impressions when I get them in hand.

Thanks for you help and input!

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #615 of 999

This is not only a matter of numbers, volume, and dB. Planars like these just need more juice to show what they are capable of. BTR7 is great but not for DCA Aeon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back