Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #466 of 992
Why not just use an equalizer? Is the foam something an equalizer can't achieve?
It is cheaper than an analogue equaliser and works with any equipment to which headphones are connected.

Sep 17, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #468 of 992
Price for all Dan Clark headphones in the EU went up. The 999 euro Aeon 2 noire have a new price of 1199 euro.

Glad I got mine during a black Friday sale for 777 euro. Great headphones but I wouldn't pay 1199 euro for them.

Sep 17, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #469 of 992
Price for all Dan Clark headphones in the EU went up. The 999 euro Aeon 2 noire have a new price of 1199 euro
Still at 999€ in Zococity, a spanish online shop.

Sep 17, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #470 of 992
The inserts are there to tame excess of treble to your liking.

I use the black foam on top of the black felt (foam to ear).
This not only brings the treble in line, but even makes the sound more uniform for different ear-positionings by damping cup-internal reflections.
Why not just use an equalizer? Is the foam something an equalizer can't achieve?
Damping the refections, e.g. between your own skin and the driver itself, or from the pad sidewalls, can not be achieved by an EQ.

Other than that, an EQ can add a nice flavor if you have one handy.
Fortunately DCA Aeon 2 Noire is one of the few ’phones that sounds balanced to me without any EQ — not to say it can’t benefit from some.

Here’s a setting that I like to use:
For those that like a little more punch, dynamics and sparkle on their Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire,
I created an equalizer setting that improves on that.

I fitted it to work with the 7 Equalizer bands available in RME‘s ADI-2 Pro / DAC with the latest firmware.
The bands are carefully adapted by ear and own measurements.
I lived with the results for some time now, listening to a broad variety of music styles.

Gain / dBFreq. / HzQ-factorPeak/Shelving
+3.5721.5LoShadjust Gain to taste
-2.03601.3Pk
+1.09500.5Pk
+2.53.7k5.3Pk
-4.05.6k3.2Pk
+1.06.0k0.9Pk
+1.56.2k1.1HiShadjust Gain to taste

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #471 of 992
Damping the refections, e.g. between your own skin and the driver itself, or from the pad sidewalls, can not be achieved by an EQ.

Other than that, an EQ can add a nice flavor if you have one handy.
Fortunately DCA Aeon 2 Noire is one of the few ’phones that sounds balanced to me without any EQ — not to say it can’t benefit from some.

Here’s a setting that I like to use:
Thanks. When you use the EQ, do you use it together with the black foam? Can I just apply those eq settings in Equalizer APO? Are the shelves high or low shelf?

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #472 of 992
Thanks. When you use the EQ, do you use it together with the black foam? Can I just apply those eq settings in Equalizer APO? Are the shelves high or low shelf?
With the felt+foam.
Depending on your taste it might well work without inserts too, or another variation.

72 Hz is Low Shelf, 6.2 kHz is Hi Shelf (I edited the table accordingly).

The settings work with different software EQ’s, probably even with Equalizer APO too.

There’s more explanation here:
https://www.head-fi.org/goto/post?id=17023325

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #473 of 992
I've been listening all day testing out the different filters. My favorite so far with the KANN Alpha -> iFi Gryphon w/ xBass II combo is the White filters.

Kicks back the resolution a bit and knocks back the high treble but adds a nice sub bass and midbass shelf with the xBass on.

For a flight the Noire's compact nature should be a selling feature that Dan Clark highlights. This is going to work perfect for carry-on.

IMG_3901.jpg

Sep 17, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #474 of 992
It can't be cheaper than a software equalizer.
Costs aren’t purely financial. Everything has a cost, so some might find the cost lower to just use the pads. I have seen no need to use them, but if the treble bothered me I’d look to the pads before trying EQ. I’ve yet to hear software eq that didn’t harm the music.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #475 of 992
Hi all, I have a pair of these on order and can’t wait. I do however have concerns (having read multiple sources) that the DX5 I have ordered to accompany them might not be powerful enough to get the best out of the noire.

Does anyone with more experience than me have any thoughts? I went with the dx as I was after a small all in one for my bedside table, where all my listening will take place. Would still rather the best SQ possible and am open to other options.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #476 of 992
Hi all, I have a pair of these on order and can’t wait. I do however have concerns (having read multiple sources) that the DX5 I have ordered to accompany them might not be powerful enough to get the best out of the noire.

Does anyone with more experience than me have any thoughts? I went with the dx as I was after a small all in one for my bedside table, where all my listening will take place. Would still rather the best SQ possible and am open to other options.
My daughter has a JDS Element 3 driving her Aeon 2 Noire hps and it works beautifully with them. Your Topping DX5 is a bit more powerful, so you should be fine.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #477 of 992

My Fiio K5 Pro delivers half a watt at 13 Ohms and is powerful enough to drive the Noires with authority. More or less the same power of your DX5, so don’t expect any problem driving the Noires.

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #478 of 992
Thanks very much for setting mind at ease. Postage to where I am takes a long time and returns are very difficult thus, wanting to get it right as best I can first time. Rabbit hole not withstanding.

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #479 of 992

According to the measurments on:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-dx5-review-dac-hp-amp.32179/

You get ca. 3 V of stable voltage into Noire’s 13 Ohm.
This equals to 700 mW of power, drives Noire to 120 dB SPL, enough headroom for all types of music.

Equally important, the Topping DX5 can handle the quite low 13 Ohm with grace, so I’d expect a good sound out of it.
Quote: “Unit is stable and capable of driving even 12 ohm load...”

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #480 of 992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back