Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #452 of 992
Holy #padgate batman, how long had you owned those before you posted that photo? $900 headphone pads shouldn't look that warped. Both pads look pretty bad in this photo. Have you asked for a replacement pair (see linked thread)?
The pad deformation is likely a result of the cushion material shifting. There is a YouTube video from Dan Clark (back when they were Mr Speakers) showing how to adjust the pads.

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #453 of 992
The pad deformation is likely a result of the cushion material shifting. There is a YouTube video from Dan Clark (back when they were Mr Speakers) showing how to adjust the pads.

The Youtube video is likely a result of poor manufacturing. There is an Amazon store page showing the price of the Noirs, when they're currently called Dan Clark Audio.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 9.26.12 AM.png

$900 for pads that deform faster than any other headphone (that I've owned, at least).

You should also know that Dan finally acknowledged this is a defect and is shipping better pads: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-the-aeon-padgate-finally-coming-to-an-end.964788/

Sep 14, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #454 of 992
The Youtube video is likely a result of poor manufacturing. There is an Amazon store page showing the price of the Noirs, when they're currently called Dan Clark Audio.

$900 for pads that deform faster than any other headphone (that I've owned, at least).

You should also know that Dan finally acknowledged this is a defect and is shipping better pads: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-the-aeon-padgate-finally-coming-to-an-end.964788/
To be clear, I wasn’t justifying anything, just sharing what I knew.

I own the Noire (as well as first gen AFC). I don’t see it as having paid for pads that deform - I paid for an exceptional closed back headphone that has an annoying issue with their pads. I can certainly understand how this could really incense some, but I am not one of those.

Thanks for the link!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #455 of 992
Is there a way to get these new pads for free since this seems to be a known issue? Or at a discount at least?
Otherwise I might just get the Dekonis sheepskin replacement pads :)

(I know it changes the sound of the noire, but so do deformed pads)

Sep 14, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #456 of 992
Is there a way to get these new pads for free since this seems to be a known issue? Or at a discount at least?
Otherwise I might just get the Dekonis sheepskin replacement pads :)

(I know it changes the sound of the noire, but so do deformed pads)
Yes, if your pads have permanently deformed, ask for a free replacement from Dan Clark Audio. Really, though, don't buy the Aeons. I'm on my third replacement pads that are already warped.

Do not get Dekoni pads, they have the same problem but worse, and if they deform and you ask for a replacement they make you ship back the pads on your dime. See the above linked thread.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #457 of 992
Yes, if your pads have permanently deformed, ask for a free replacement from Dan Clark Audio. Really, though, don't buy the Aeons. I'm on my third replacement pads that are already warped.

Do not get Dekoni pads, they have the same problem but worse, and if they deform and you ask for a replacement they make you ship back the pads on your dime. See the above linked thread.

If the new pads fix this pad rolling issue....I would recommend the Aeons. If not, I would likely not purchase them again, despite the fact that they are otherwise great headphones and DCA is a good company to put your money into.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #458 of 992
Bought the Noire last night at my local shop. I originally went in there to hear the 109 Pro but he's getting them in store today along with the Expanse.

So far so good. I've done a bit of A/B with my other closed backs but want to do the recommended 100-150 hour burn-in on the Noire before I leave a final judgement.

I used to not believe in burn-in at all until I bought the VC and everything changed with that headphone a lot after about 60 hours.

IMG_3897.jpg

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #459 of 992
Bought the Noire last night at my local shop. I originally went in there to hear the 109 Pro but he's getting them in store today along with the Expanse.

So far so good. I've done a bit of A/B with my other closed backs but want to do the recommended 100-150 hour burn-in on the Noire before I leave a final judgement.

I used to not believe in burn-in at all until I bought the VC and everything changed with that headphone a lot after about 60 hours.

IMG_3897.jpg
Nice assortment of cans! :L3000: Great contrasts visually and sonically!

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #460 of 992
Nice assortment of cans! :L3000: Great contrasts visually and sonically!
Yeah. I bought the Noire's for a trip i'm going on next weekend. I flew to Honolulu in May and brought the Radiance. They were awesome on the plane but a bit bulky for my carry-on setup.

The Noire close up brilliantly and should be much better for next week's flight as they're less than half the size of the Focal's.

The Noire is totally different sonically between the other two so I'm pretty happy with them. My local dealer gave me almost $400 off of them and I bought a Vivo 4.4mm for half price so I'm pretty excited about the purchase.

I should have enough time before the flight next friday to burn them in to 70-80 hours. Hoping they even out a bit in the treble.

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #461 of 992
Sheesh, $400 off makes them a steal! I bought my daughter a pair of Noires for a graduation present in May... I have a pair of Aeon Closed X and love the DCA sound. What will you use to drive them on the trip?

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #462 of 992
Sheesh, $400 off makes them a steal! I bought my daughter a pair of Noires for a graduation present in May... I have a pair of Aeon Closed X and love the DCA sound. What will you use to drive them on the trip?
Yeah. I’ve got a really nice friendly relationship with the shop owner and I’ve purchased from him a bunch in the past so the $400 off helps.

I’ll be running the Noire on an A&K KANN Alpha > iFi Gryphon combo with the Vivo 4.4mm. The synergy on the Gryphon is really nice and powers them quite well. I think it’s my favorite combo so far but haven’t tried the Questyle yet.

The iFi Diablo pairing is a bit too bright for my tastes but I also haven’t tried any of the filters yet so that might help a bit.

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #463 of 992
Yeah. I’ve got a really nice friendly relationship with the shop owner and I’ve purchased from him a bunch in the past so the $400 off helps.

I’ll be running the Noire on an A&K KANN Alpha > iFi Gryphon combo with the Vivo 4.4mm. The synergy on the Gryphon is really nice and powers them quite well. I think it’s my favorite combo so far but haven’t tried the Questyle yet.

The iFi Diablo pairing is a bit too bright for my tastes but I also haven’t tried any of the filters yet so that might help a bit.
Great stuff in your stable, enjoy your new Noire!

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #464 of 992
I should have enough time before the flight next friday to burn them in to 70-80 hours. Hoping they even out a bit in the treble.
The inserts are there to tame excess of treble to your liking.

I use the black foam on top of the black felt (foam to ear).
This not only brings the treble in line, but even makes the sound more uniform for different ear-positionings by damping cup-internal reflections.

One more other way to deal with that is, listening one or two notches quieter than usual.
Subjectively this reduces treble and brings up the midrange a bit.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #465 of 992
The inserts are there to tame excess of treble to your liking.

I use the black foam on top of the black felt (foam to ear).
This not only brings the treble in line, but even makes the sound more uniform for different ear-positionings by damping cup-internal reflections.

One more other way to deal with that is, listening one or two notches quieter than usual.
Subjectively this reduces treble and brings up the midrange a bit.
Why not just use an equalizer? Is the foam something an equalizer can't achieve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back