Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
May 28, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #288 of 994
Noir stock cable at the 3.5/6.3 end 3 or 4 cores? Info for re termination to 4.4mm, dont want to make an unnecessary cut if I don't need to.
I did measurements:

Headphone connectors GND to TRS Sleeve: 0.41 Ohm, each.
Headphone connector‘s GNDs left to right: 0.82 Ohm (exact double).

One can assume that 2 individual lines run from each cup to the TRS (4 lines in total), so resistance adds up running from left connector to Sleeve, then to right connector.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #289 of 994
I am planning on testing 3(maybe 4) headphones out at the same time soon, using Burson 3XP and Gungnir: LCD-X 2021, AWAS, and the final one I am having a lot of trouble choosing... I'm looking for an all-purpose, generally full/engaging, enjoyable, well-balanced sound, where details are easy to hear(not hidden too much in the distance), the bass has nice quality & meat/kick/warmth/body, with a natural enough stage and great imaging/depth. Open or closed. (Note: I did not find Edition XS, nor most HFMs, to be enjoyable sounding, therefore I suspect Arya Stealth will be more of the same. My fav phones I've heard so far were an LCD-3 and HE6 v1 from years ago in a store, and most recently Vokyl Erupt and M40x, as flawed as they may be)

• NOIRE - People seem to dislike how damped these are(ie Beyers), and many reviews speak of thin sound, and thin bass. I could try Ether C Flow instead, but for ~$1799 the value doesn't seem there still. NOIRE seems the best option outside of Stealth, so I am hesitant of trying the cheaper RT, as my 1st DC headphone(besides Mad Dog).
  • Denon/Fostex D7200/9200/TH610/TH900 - All of these, again, seem to be problematic in various ways, from excessive treble to narrow staging to having wonky tuning/balance. Closed-backs make me wary in general, because of all of the issues they usually have, and my experience with them(A900, W1000x, Mad Dog, Beyers) has been no different, with the one exception of M40x - a sound presentation I actually love, except for having no real soundstage and very rolled off sub-bass. The problem is, now I want a better sounding M40x, since discovering a closed back that actually sounds great!

So, would any of these(or any others you can think of!) be a better-fitting option than the above listed..?
  • AWKT
  • WP900

Thanks!:)

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #290 of 994
I am planning on testing 3(maybe 4) headphones out at the same time soon, using Burson 3XP and Gungnir: LCD-X 2021, AWAS, and the final one I am having a lot of trouble choosing... I'm looking for an all-purpose, generally full/engaging, enjoyable, well-balanced sound, where details are easy to hear(not hidden too much in the distance), the bass has nice quality & meat/kick/warmth/body, with a natural enough stage and great imaging/depth. Open or closed. (Note: I did not find Edition XS, nor most HFMs, to be enjoyable sounding, therefore I suspect Arya Stealth will be more of the same. My fav phones I've heard so far were an LCD-3 and HE6 v1 from years ago in a store, and most recently Vokyl Erupt and M40x, as flawed as they may be)

• NOIRE - People seem to dislike how damped these are(ie Beyers), and many reviews speak of thin sound, and thin bass. I could try Ether C Flow instead, but for ~$1799 the value doesn't seem there still. NOIRE seems the best option outside of Stealth, so I am hesitant of trying the cheaper RT, as my 1st DC headphone(besides Mad Dog).
  • Denon/Fostex D7200/9200/TH610/TH900 - All of these, again, seem to be problematic in various ways, from excessive treble to narrow staging to having wonky tuning/balance. Closed-backs make me wary in general, because of all of the issues they usually have, and my experience with them(A900, W1000x, Mad Dog, Beyers) has been no different, with the one exception of M40x - a sound presentation I actually love, except for having no real soundstage and very rolled off sub-bass. The problem is, now I want a better sounding M40x, since discovering a closed back that actually sounds great!

So, would any of these(or any others you can think of!) be a better-fitting option than the above listed..?
  • AWKT
  • WP900

Thanks!:)
If you want to go the Denon route I strongly suggest to try the E-MU Teak.
It puts away with all the (little) flaws that are connected to this design, while preserving the best parts.
Besides, it‘s the least expensive of your choices!

I have and really enyoy it, and have personally compared it to the Denon AH-D5200.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #291 of 994
If you want to go the Denon route I strongly suggest to try the E-MU Teak.
Seems solid indeed! (And affordable) Thank you very much! :)

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #292 of 994

My take on the Noire's!

May 30, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #293 of 994
Jun 1, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #294 of 994
Just joined the club and I'm very happy with the Noire :L3000::beerchug:

20220601_224025.jpg

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #295 of 994
Any experiences with the Noires and classical music (orchestral and opera)?

Jun 1, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #296 of 994
I got a chance to listen to the Noises recently and really loved the sound. Currently have a pair of He-560s, but I'm looking for a change. Has anyone compared the He-560s against the RTs? How much of a bump is there between the Aeon 2 (and variants) vs the RT? Specifically looking at open back.

Jun 3, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #297 of 994
I pulled the trigger and now I’m listening to them. Initial impressions mimic what Resolve said in his review.

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #298 of 994
Any experiences with the Noires and classical music (orchestral and opera)?
DCA Aeon 2 Noire’s natural and wideband sound is very well suited for classical.

The good reproduction of ambience and soundfield, while keeping the sources present, makes it a fun to listen.

The exclusion of external noise can be a welcome add for those living in a slightly noisy environment, when listening to quiter musical passages.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #299 of 994
DCA Aeon 2 Noire’s natural and wideband sound is very well suited for classical.

The good reproduction of ambience and soundfield, while keeping the sources present, makes it a fun to listen.

The exclusion of external noise can be a welcome add for those living in a slightly noisy environment, when listening to quiter musical passages.
Thanks for the information. I’ll test them with classical records tomorrow; now listening to Nora Jones on a well recorded material and it’s a relaxed and pleasant experience.

Jun 3, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #300 of 994

I don’t think the Noire is that good for classical and opera music really.

The Noire works great with artificial music that is heavily compressed, because you don’t need great dynamics for this type of music. But with real music, it is not exactly strong at that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back