Damping Mechanical Energy Distortion of STAX and other phones with SORBOTHANE and other materials.
Jul 13, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #136 of 952
Its funny when the High-End headphone developers fighting against each other to produce the best possible headphones money can buy, but they are missing a simple easy thing to damp their headphone correctly. Its like Wilson or Focal should skip to put in dampening wool in the speakers just to make a slight bigger profit, that sounds very strange to me, but i buy the fact that i works. Doesn't they know of this, it sounds crazy if they don't..

So you can buy a HE-400 and do som dampening tweaking and outperform a
Stax SR-009, for one third of the Stax price, that is remarkable to me but more strange things have happened before.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #137 of 952
Its funny when the High-End headphone developers fighting against each other to produce the best headphone money can buy, but they miss a so simple thing to damp their headphone correctly, its like Wilson or Focal should skip to put in dampening wool in the speakers just to make a slight bigger profit, that sounds very strange to me, but i buy the fact that i works. Doesn't they know of this?

So you can buy a HE-400 and do som dampening tweaking and outperform a
Stax SR-009, for one third of the Stax price tag.

If my soon-to-be-modded HE400 sounds better than an SR009 then I'm done with headphone upgrades until a true R10 successor comes out. But I probably won't be able to afford an R10 successor, so I guess I'd be done forever...

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #138 of 952
not outperform a stax 009........but my stax basic lamda nova......i prefer the he 400 with this mod and with Ember tube 7193 ... yes.......But after edstrelow a 007 with this mod outperform a 009 not modded... read the thread please
smile_phones.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #139 of 952
i have said STAX BASIC LAMBDA not stax 009...... there limits also to some modification..... but try it and report here......

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #140 of 952
  As soon as my 400's and sorb arrive I will be doing the fuzzor mod only using sorb instead of craft foam and comparing it to sorb on the outside of the cups. Impressions by Friday hopefully!!

That's great news, as I had the same idea! I'm very much interested in your impressions and if possible, can you include some pics from the process?

If it sounds great, I'll probably opt for the same mod. 

P.S. What pads are you using? I've heard that Focus pads (original Focus, not Focus-A) do a bit to tame the highs on the HE-400. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #142 of 952
That's great news, as I had the same idea! I'm very much interested in your impressions and if possible, can you include some pics from the process?

If it sounds great, I'll probably opt for the same mod. 

P.S. What pads are you using? I've heard that Focus pads (original Focus, not Focus-A) do a bit to tame the highs on the HE-400. 

I'll be sure to include pics! Unfortunately I'm only using the velour, it's what the seller had and I got a good deal but I will be making jergpads almost certainly as they helped my 500s.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #143 of 952
I'll be sure to include pics! Unfortunately I'm only using the velour, it's what the seller had and I got a good deal but I will be making jergpads almost certainly as they helped my 500s.

Sweet! Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier just to order some Focus pads? 
tongue_smile.gif
 I was under the impression that Focus pads are essentially mass produced Jerg pads. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #144 of 952
Sweet! Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier just to order some Focus pads? :tongue_smile:  I was under the impression that Focus pads are essentially mass produced Jerg pads. 

Jergpads are fairly similar to Focus pads, and I can make jergpads in an hour for free (the seller gave me both the velours and pleathers). Plus I know what mistakes not to make the second time around so they should be easy to make.

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #145 of 952
Sorry if this has been discussed, but has anybody tried sticking on the Sorb while listening? Simple foolproof A-B kind of test. I find that even swapping headphones is enough of a delay to fool me, the mind (at least my mind) likes to play tricks. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #146 of 952
I may have missed this in an earlier post, but where are you guys buying this 30 and 40 duro, adhesive backed Sorb that's 1/8 thick? Ideally Id like to have it be no more than 1/2 wide, but would be willing to cut a sheet.

I also usually avoid ebay.

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #147 of 952
  I may have missed this in an earlier post, but where are you guys buying this 30 and 40 duro, adhesive backed Sorb that's 1/8 thick? Ideally Id like to have it be no more than 1/2 wide, but would be willing to cut a sheet.

Thanks.

This is the place.:

http://www.isolateit.com/vibration-isolating-sheets-pads-6/sorbothane-thin-film-with-3m-adhesive-backing-1-8-x-6-x-12in-1-sheet.html

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #148 of 952
  Sorry if this has been discussed, but has anybody tried sticking on the Sorb while listening? Simple foolproof A-B kind of test. I find that even swapping headphones is enough of a delay to fool me, the mind (at least my mind) likes to play tricks. 

its evident for me immediately in few seconds.... No a/b test necessary... When you dont want to listen your he 400 compared to your Stax or speakers before this mod and suddenly when you dont want to listen now your stax but prefer your he 400 after this sorb mod, there is no need for proof to your ears... But for example i attempt the famous grill mod on the hifiman and it was a change yes but far less evident and convincing....There is mod and there is mod....all headphone are vibrating, the discovery of EdStrelow here is that no cie had realize that.... The sorbothane mod is low cost, reversible, simple, what proof do you need? experiment yourself....
beerchug.gif

For me this thread here is the most important thread in head fi...the difference for me was extraordinary....Please report your experiment here....thanks for your time and interest...
regular_smile .gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #149 of 952

Thanks.

This is the place.:

http://www.isolateit.com/vibration-isolating-sheets-pads-6/sorbothane-thin-film-with-3m-adhesive-backing-1-8-x-6-x-12in-1-sheet.html

Bookmarked. Thank you!

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #150 of 952
So the 400's came in but I'm still waiting on the sorb... Did the jergpad mod shorty after but somehow managed to mess up... Slightly. So the pads are sealed to the cups with electrical tape and the cans are running right off my phone (viper4android on 10x gain is justtt enough volume). Picked up an onkyo htr330 receiver and I'm going to hook it up to my laptop when I get the right cable. As SOON as the sorb comes I will begin modding/experimenting. Good thing about the 400's is the driver is smaller than my old 500's so the sorb-fuzzor mod should be much less time consuming and easier. Will report impressions asap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back