Damaged Sennheiser hd 650 Driver?
Sep 28, 2011 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

redc

New Head-Fier
Hello! i seem to be having a bit of trouble with my headphones, i had my Volume on very Loud because the song i was listening to was low bitrate. And foolishly i changed the song to a Trance Song, and the bass on the headphones just went bang, it literally felt like the driver popped right out of the headphones and went right into my right ear. I was in pain for about 20 minutes i might add.

Now what are the main symptoms of a damaged driver/speaker? Because i can now hear little pops and cracks in the background
the bass seems a little more laid back then it was before, feels much darker. The headphones overall feel like cheap headphones they don't seem as good as they did after it happened.

Now... if they are broken what can i do?
Would Sennheiser fix them for me seeing i still have warranty?

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 12
Cant help you out unfortunate, just want to say i got a similar situation yesterday with my dt770. Was listen to random music then i turned on what seemed to be a high recording of duck sauce big bad wolf. Felt they destroyed my headphones, although im not totally sure yet. Im new to this kind of quality phones so im not sure they got damaged. It though feels like you say, the bass seems a little lower now and i think i sometimes hear sparkle. The thing is that when i used my old sony amp it turned the power off on some song before, seems it got some overpower safe or something. Now i dont use the sony amp anymore but rather just a asus essence card, i dont think it has a protection like that or has it?

What does it cost to repair a broken driver?

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 12
Process is always the same :-

Whether you're within the warranty period or out - contact the place where
you bought the 'phones. If that was online and it involves shipping then
contact the main distributor.

I would get them repaired through them first and foremost.

Failing that, try asking local suppliers who sell Beyer / Senn
products if they can source the drivers separately (This should
be easy for the Senn HD 650) - then it's just a matter of getting
it fitted, which in the case of the Senn HD650 is a DIY job.

Try an alternative source to confirm that there is now a
permanent 'pop'n'crackle' on all tracks which confirms
that you have damaged the driver/s.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 12
Something you could try is to play them fairly loud (without them on of course) with some appropriately low songs and see if they "burn in" to the lower stuff.  If your drivers are actually broken, then it won't help, but if you simply over-ran them then maybe a hard "burn in" can help.  I know there's a thread about this somewhere...

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Something you could try is to play them fairly loud (without them on of course) with some appropriately low songs and see if they "burn in" to the lower stuff.  If your drivers are actually broken, then it won't help, but if you simply over-ran them then maybe a hard "burn in" can help.  I know there's a thread about this somewhere...

Hmm i might test this out, hopefully some jazz or something will work.

Also cheers.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 12
If it turns out the drivers are damaged, replacing the drivers is a much simpler task compared to most other headphones.  Just order new drivers from Sennheiser and install them using this HD600 series dismantling guide.-

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 12
Digital is right, and math suggests that you likely damaged your drivers due to the volume.  See the below charts:

[size=9pt] Weakest sound heard[/size][size=9pt] 0dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Whisper Quiet Library[/size][size=9pt] 30dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Normal conversation (3-5')[/size][size=9pt] 60-70dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Telephone dial tone[/size][size=9pt] 80dB[/size]
[size=9pt] City Traffic (inside car)[/size][size=9pt] 85dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic[/size][size=9pt] 90dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Subway train at 200'[/size][size=9pt] 95dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss[/size][size=9pt] 90 - 95dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Power mower at 3'[/size][size=9pt] 107dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Snowmobile, Motorcycle[/size][size=9pt] 100dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Power saw at 3'[/size][size=9pt] 110dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert[/size][size=9pt] 115dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Pain begins[/size][size=9pt] 125dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Pneumatic riveter at 4'[/size][size=9pt] 125dB[/size]

The power handling limit of the hd650 is 100mW and with a sensitivity of 103dB/mW that would mean the max volume is 123dB/mW for the driver.  If you are not covered under warranty I would suggest you contact sennheiser to see if they will sell you new drivers on your headphones or ask how much the repair costs.  You could possibly easily test the integrity of the drivers by measuring the impedance of the drivers through the TRS plug.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Digital is right, and math suggests that you likely damaged your drivers due to the volume.  See the below charts:

[size=9pt] Weakest sound heard[/size][size=9pt] 0dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Whisper Quiet Library[/size][size=9pt] 30dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Normal conversation (3-5')[/size][size=9pt] 60-70dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Telephone dial tone[/size][size=9pt] 80dB[/size]
[size=9pt] City Traffic (inside car)[/size][size=9pt] 85dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic[/size][size=9pt] 90dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Subway train at 200'[/size][size=9pt] 95dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss[/size][size=9pt] 90 - 95dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Power mower at 3'[/size][size=9pt] 107dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Snowmobile, Motorcycle[/size][size=9pt] 100dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Power saw at 3'[/size][size=9pt] 110dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert[/size][size=9pt] 115dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Pain begins[/size][size=9pt] 125dB[/size]
[size=9pt] Pneumatic riveter at 4'[/size][size=9pt] 125dB[/size]

The power handling limit of the hd650 is 100mW and with a sensitivity of 103dB/mW that would mean the max volume is 123dB/mW for the driver.  If you are not covered under warranty I would suggest you contact sennheiser to see if they will sell you new drivers on your headphones or ask how much the repair costs.  You could possibly easily test the integrity of the drivers by measuring the impedance of the drivers through the TRS plug.

I still have warranty, thank god. the headphones are probably not even a month old.

Now who do i contact for a replacement or a fix? the internet store i bought it from or from sennheiser them selfs?

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 12
Hmm, if you're still within that vendor's return period, you could contact them to exchange your pair for a new one.  If that's not possible, then you'll have to contact Sennheiser directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back