Dali Headphones
Nov 4, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #211 of 1,056
Brintkiks
I asked last week when the IO6 will be available in the USA. No reply was received. There has been 1 or 2 other requests on this thread as well which have not received any replies.

Some manufacturers consider us to be a worthwhile market :)

Calls to Lembrook have been unhelpful with complete lack of knowledge of ANYTHING. At one point I was told to call the sales rep for my area (NYC) however no reply has been received from him.

Several DALI dealers I spoke with indicated no plans to carry them. A dealer who had interest to special order has also failed to follow through and provide information. .

In this competitive market with many other options available from B&O, B&W, Sony and Bose I think DALI is doing real harm to this product launch due to the complete lack of information / lack of interest by the distributor. As time passes without release of further information it is natural for people to start losing interest and move on to the multitude of other product offerings in the market.

FYI the four well known manufacturers listed above all sell via Amazon, Crutchfield, BestBuy etc. While the desire to sell via the established line of Dali 2 channel retailers is admirable unfortunately here in the USA we have more “bad” 2 channel dealers than good. I have a NAIM 2 channel setup and customers often gripe that we get shortchanged in good service compared to our fellow NAIM users in the UK whose dealer network is exemplary.

DALI might consider seeking distribution from several of the large online dealers such as Amazon or Crutchfield. That would also open sales up to many customers who are not geographically near a DALI dealer
Officially we didn't plan to launch in the US until mid to end of November, which could be why, the information haven't reached the US dealers. And even though it is on market in some European countries, there will be some markets to receive it with a small delay. For now I'm not aware of the dealer/distributor situation in the US, but I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation. But from a customer perspective, it may not seem satisfactory, so I have also forwarded your comments to our sales department.

Regarding the mentioned platforms, then of course we are also looking into this. And as you may see, you can get a variety of different DALI products on Amazon already...

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #212 of 1,056
Thank you for the detailed explanation Brintkiks. I assume ANC amp is better/more powerful than BT amp? Otherwise, why use power hungry ANC amp if BT amp would be as good. Correct me if im wrong.

Cheers
Well, the Bluetooth chip doesn't do ANC... So. :wink: Though you are right that the ANC chip is a bit more powerful. But we have tuned both headphones to sound the same - regardless which chip is used. This is why you get so much more value for money in the IO-4, if you can live without ANC. You get IO-6 sound but double the battery life...

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #213 of 1,056
Got a pair of the Io 6 at the begining of the week and I am really enjoying them but I have a couple of questions for other people who have tried them.. on all the reviews it stats that transparency mode will pause the music when selected but mine just keeps playing,valso not matter how long they are charged they will not go above 90%, I am also getting a high pitched tone which lasts for 5 seconds at random times (really Not that frequent) is anyone else experiencing the same.

I charged mine once and they didn’t go above 90%, I’m going to try again once I’m down to below 20% hope this is fixable? the music doesn’t stop playing when transparency mode is on, the music just lowers slightly while the voice says transparency mode. I haven't heard any high pitched tone at all.

I've never had an issue with noises except once off my old DAP player which was more of a pop than a tone. I think it was something to do with the DAP and the bt sign though and it was once.

The anc transparency as mentioned just lowers the sound slightly but doesn't really help with hearing much IMHO but I prefer to take them off if I need hear anything myself. Id feel rude leaving them on but this might be a thing for others.

It does not lower the volume much and you don't hear a lot of your surroundings with transparency.

As for charge, I've had it say 'fully charged' once.UUsually its 90%, as low as 80% once. Something I need test more is the battery

Used mine today to 60% battery. Put them on the charger. Checked them after a few hours and noticed charging was ready. Noticed I left them on while charging, so turned off and on, got 90% battery level
Turned them off, put them back on the charger. After about 15 minutes charging was ready again. Turned them on, got full charge ... happy days ...

I have talked with our R&D department and I have an explanation for the battery percentages. When the headphone reaches a 100%, they stop charging to spare the battery (where other brands keep charging). This means that the battery voltage will slowly drop (to around 98%) until it reaches a limit, where the headphone will begin charging again to keep it at 100%. The "problem" is though that all battery indications below around 99% will result in a 90% voice prompt, due to the 10-step battery level indicator. So instead of the headphones just saying 100% after a charge (and a small discharge = 98%), they will say 90%. This is not an error in the headphones, but more in the software, which won't say 100% unless the battery is charged +99%.

So when your headphones say 90% after +2 hours of charging, you can expect them to be +98% charged.

I hope this makes sense...?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #214 of 1,056
Brintkiks
I asked last week when the IO6 will be available in the USA. No reply was received. There has been 1 or 2 other requests on this thread as well which have not received any replies.

Some manufacturers consider us to be a worthwhile market :)

Calls to Lembrook have been unhelpful with complete lack of knowledge of ANYTHING. At one point I was told to call the sales rep for my area (NYC) however no reply has been received from him.

Several DALI dealers I spoke with indicated no plans to carry them. A dealer who had interest to special order has also failed to follow through and provide information. .

In this competitive market with many other options available from B&O, B&W, Sony and Bose I think DALI is doing real harm to this product launch due to the complete lack of information / lack of interest by the distributor. As time passes without release of further information it is natural for people to start losing interest and move on to the multitude of other product offerings in the market.

FYI the four well known manufacturers listed above all sell via Amazon, Crutchfield, BestBuy etc. While the desire to sell via the established line of Dali 2 channel retailers is admirable unfortunately here in the USA we have more “bad” 2 channel dealers than good. I have a NAIM 2 channel setup and customers often gripe that we get shortchanged in good service compared to our fellow NAIM users in the UK whose dealer network is exemplary.

DALI might consider seeking distribution from several of the large online dealers such as Amazon or Crutchfield. That would also open sales up to many customers who are not geographically near a DALI dealer

Thank you for the reply

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #215 of 1,056
This is last time I posting in this thread.

This morning I returning my dali-io-6. But I want saying that for the people who liking dali very much and b&o sound (I don't), I giving advice for looking for the master & dynamic mw65. Is more expensive than dali 6 but the sound is similar, but in my opinion is (many) more correct. It isn't hollow sound, is very linear sound in the frequency response and is very clean (no distortion) and more solid low frequencies. The construction is really excellent (solid and leather earcups and headband), the design beautiful, is more small than dali (good for the travels) and having oval/rectangular ear cups not round (is better for my ears in the fitting than dali 6 and the h9, h9i & h9 3g).

The carry case of mw65 isn't good but the real problem for me is the sound with anc on is very very good, I love it!, and making doubt me between I keeping mw65 or momentum 3, but the sound with the anc off isn't good (in m3 is very good in the both and is in ambient mode too), is more thin (maybe some people liking more this!).

But even the excellent sound with anc on isn't completely good for my ears because some albums masters sounding little much treble high, not a lot if I honestly (the problems is more wrong in my opinion with dali 6, h9i, h9 3g and px7). The treble in all the headphones is in my experience is probably the more most difficult for making really correct, not the mids or the bass (the people normally thinking is the bass!). The hd800 (premium wired headphone of sennheiser for much years) having problem with treble from the time of the release (2009), but in the rest of frequency is excellent. A lot of headphones and iems are very peaky or harsh treble. Some years later sennheiser produce hd800s model, the variation of hd800 with better treble.

If the sound of the mw65 is the same with anc on and off maybe I spending one week with intensive comparison for deciding momentum 3 or mw65, but not necessary one week because 65 in anc off is similar with dali and b&o, and that is incorrect and thin and sometimes harsh sound for me, maybe is good for the classical music with orchestra but isn't with the much others genres.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #216 of 1,056
I have talked with our R&D department and I have an explanation for the battery percentages. When the headphone reaches a 100%, they stop charging to spare the battery (where other brands keep charging). This means that the battery voltage will slowly drop (to around 98%) until it reaches a limit, where the headphone will begin charging again to keep it at 100%. The "problem" is though that all battery indications below around 99.9% will result in a 90% voice prompt, due to the 10-step battery level indicator. So instead of the headphones just saying 100% after a charge (and a small discharge = 98%), they will say 90%. This is not an error in the headphones, but more in the software, which won't say 100% unless the battery is charged 99,9%.

So when your headphones say 90% after +2 hours of charging, you can expect them to be +98% charged.

I hope this makes sense...?

Makes sense.. thanks for the answer.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #217 of 1,056
So I’ve had mine on four full charges so far and I just wanted to say that the sound seems to have improved, I mean they were great right of the box but now they seem even better. I’ll be using these 95% at home so for me they are perfect, couldn’t be happier. I work primarily outside so I now need to find a decent pair of earbuds, hopefully I’ll find something as overall satisfying as the Dali’s.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #218 of 1,056
It is worth to remember, if SQ is everything and ANC is not needed (as the Passive Noise Isolation is quite effective) then IO-4 performs on level with IO-6 and other headphones in this price range - at €100 less and with 60 hours of battery life.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #219 of 1,056
I’ll be traveling with mine twice a year so ANC will come in handy, also we live in an open plan and it’s nice to be able not to hear all the kitchen appliances. I don’t think I’ll be looking for ANC on the earbuds though.

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #221 of 1,056
So I’ve had mine on four full charges so far and I just wanted to say that the sound seems to have improved, I mean they were great right of the box but now they seem even better. I’ll be using these 95% at home so for me they are perfect, couldn’t be happier. I work primarily outside so I now need to find a decent pair of earbuds, hopefully I’ll find something as overall satisfying as the Dali’s.

I can reccomend the etymotics er4s if you like the dali sound. I've had them for last couple of generations and wouldn't change them for the world even though I've tried shure, ultimate ears and many other brands. Just so natreual and precise.

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #222 of 1,056
Any US based person have any luck tracking these down - or at least finding a dealer who has them on order?

I'm not sure what returns would be like, but it appears that you can order either the iO-4 or iO-6 (or both!) from the U.S. from https://www.amazon.co.uk/. I've just initiated a return of my very recently purchased B&W PX7s and placed an order for an iO-4. I listen primarily to classical music and after reading a lot, I think that these may be the headphones with the SQ that I've been searching for (at least in my budgeted sub-$500 price range).

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #224 of 1,056
Hesitant to go from Amazon UK. Not sure how returns work - as these are sold by a third party seller. Also there will be no warranty service

Nov 5, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #225 of 1,056
Hesitant to go from Amazon UK. Not sure how returns work - as these are sold by a third party seller. Also there will be no warranty service
It's sold by HifiHut through Amazon and there is a stated return policy. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be warranty coverage, although probably not as straightforward a process as it would be if purchased for delivery in the UK. I tend to be an optimist and think that Amazon, Dali and HifiHut will do the right thing if necessary. Buyer beware though.

This is digressing from the original post and, getting back on track. the 15 pages of discussion has been very helpful and I'm very much looking forward to actually hearing these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back