Dali Headphones
Oct 26, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #62 of 1,056
Hi friends,
I'm deciding between the Dali io6 , Bower's Px7 and M&D mw65. My principal concern about the Dali's are size (they look huge in every photo i've seen) and bass (it looks to be very bass light, even more than mw65, and on the go i want dynamic sound).
I love the punch (although a little bloomy) of my P7 wireless but also the more refined bass of my Audeze Sine.
¿Could you the happy owners please share your experiences about bass?
¿And about the size, are they as big as they look on the few photos i've found?
Thanks in advance

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #63 of 1,056
Hi friends,
I'm deciding between the Dali io6 , Bower's Px7 and M&D mw65. My principal concern about the Dali's are size (they look huge in every photo i've seen) and bass (it looks to be very bass light, even more than mw65, and on the go i want dynamic sound).
I love the punch (although a little bloomy) of my P7 wireless but also the more refined bass of my Audeze Sine.
¿Could you the happy owners please share your experiences about bass?
¿And about the size, are they as big as they look on the few photos i've found?
Thanks in advance

I’m real happy with the look of mine, I have the PX7’s as well and I’m not keen on the look. The Dali’s do stick out more but they are a fine looking headphone. They aren’t stream line hugging headphones like the Beyerdynamic Lagoon’s I had but yet they are more discrete than Sennheiser’s momentum’s. Looks are very individual I guess.

The base is exactly as it should be, when there’s base in the music then they produce it beautifully, they don’t however exaggerate base like my momentum’s did, forced base just sounds wrong to me, these have a lovely rounded base that goes deep when it’s supposed to.

If the battery on these doesn’t charge to max tomorrow, then I’ll reclaimed a new pair. Funny that the battery on my three year old car died yesterday, it will only charge to 60%

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #64 of 1,056
I’m real happy with the look of mine, I have the PX7’s as well and I’m not keen on the look. The Dali’s do stick out more but they are a fine looking headphone. They aren’t stream line hugging headphones like the Beyerdynamic Lagoon’s I had but yet they are more discrete than Sennheiser’s momentum’s. Looks are very individual I guess.

The base is exactly as it should be, when there’s base in the music then they produce it beautifully, they don’t however exaggerate base like my momentum’s did, forced base just sounds wrong to me, these have a lovely rounded base that goes deep when it’s supposed to.

If the battery on these doesn’t charge to max tomorrow, then I’ll reclaimed a new pair. Funny that the battery on my three year old car died yesterday, it will only charge to 60%

Thanks!

I've also had the Lagoon, i liked their sound but didn't love it, it was correct and precise but it didn't excite me in any way (and as their weak build quality was a big problem for me i returned them)...how would you compare them to the Dali in terms of sound?

Discretion for me is a big value in terms of design speaking about headphones that are going to be used on the go. I never liked that look of B&O, M&D or B&W with all that stupid evocation of luxury, trying to sell high class radiations through their objects. Also, I'd rather not be claiming the expensive price of my headphones when i wear them in some places, so yes, discretion is a great value (as my Sennheiser Hd 25 exhibit with their more spartan-industrial design, for example)

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #65 of 1,056
B&O H9's are a luxurious build however they ooze discretion. To me they seem like the most discreet odd all those you mentioned.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #66 of 1,056
Brintkiks
When are the IO6'S hitting the States - and who will be stocking them?

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #67 of 1,056
Thanks!

I've also had the Lagoon, i liked their sound but didn't love it, it was correct and precise but it didn't excite me in any way (and as their weak build quality was a big problem for me i returned them)...how would you compare them to the Dali in terms of sound?

Discretion for me is a big value in terms of design speaking about headphones that are going to be used on the go. I never liked that look of B&O, M&D or B&W with all that stupid evocation of luxury, trying to sell high class radiations through their objects. Also, I'd rather not be claiming the expensive price of my headphones when i wear them in some places, so yes, discretion is a great value (as my Sennheiser Hd 25 exhibit with their more spartan-industrial design, for example)

I would say that these do look a lot like a pair of B&O headphones, to me and in black they are discrete, certainly not so in the cream coffee color, but again this is all personal preference and what’s discrete to me might not be to you. As far as not exposing the expensive price of your headphones goes, these are a good choice, at a glace they could be any cheap brand from Amazon, the Dali logo is discrete and how many people know Dali? once you look closer and feel the quality, it’s a different story. The PX7’s that I have are the most non discrete headphones you could possibly buy, the Bowers & Wilkins branding can’t be missed and the material makes the headband much thicker than it should be. I guess this is all subjective.

Compared to the sound signature of the Beyer Lagoon’s I would say that these are on par quality wise. The Beyer’s once calibrated to my ears and through their app were perfect, but again this is all subjective. The momentum’s get great SQ reviews and I found them false and too base heavy, like the Scullcandy Crusher’s, not sure what all the hype is about. I couldn’t listen to the Momentum’s for more than a hour without wanting to take them off. The Dali’s don’t need calibrated to my ears, they sound great straight off.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #68 of 1,056
B&O H9's are a luxurious build however they ooze discretion. To me they seem like the most discreet odd all those you mentioned.

I completely agree, they are beautiful and discrete, although is not the general tendency of the brand.
I tried the h9i but their battery died in 10 days. Sound on them for me was very, sorry for my vocabulary, "musical", with great soundstage, although bass was too emphasized on the sub's area and too shy on the mid bass area. The effect was a full, thick and slow sound without punch or dynamics to my ears and, curiously, despite of that, engaging.
I'd love to hear that Dali's share shape with the H9i, but it looks like an inflated version of them, really prominent design.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #69 of 1,056
I would say that these do look a lot like a pair of B&O headphones, to me and in black they are discrete, certainly not so in the cream coffee color, but again this is all personal preference and what’s discrete to me might not be to you. As far as not exposing the expensive price of your headphones goes, these are a good choice, at a glace they could be any cheap brand from Amazon, the Dali logo is discrete and how many people know Dali? once you look closer and feel the quality, it’s a different story. The PX7’s that I have are the most non discrete headphones you could possibly buy, the Bowers & Wilkins branding can’t be missed and the material makes the headband much thicker than it should be. I guess this is all subjective.

Compared to the sound signature of the Beyer Lagoon’s I would say that these are on par quality wise. The Beyer’s once calibrated to my ears and through their app were perfect, but again this is all subjective. The momentum’s get great SQ reviews and I found them false and too base heavy, like the Scullcandy Crusher’s, not sure what all the hype is about. I couldn’t listen to the Momentum’s for more than a hour without wanting to take them off. The Dali’s don’t need calibrated to my ears, they sound great straight off.

That's what i wanted to hear, but not my wallet. Momentums bass is also very false to me. But how would you compare it with the px7's bass? Is there a big difference in quantity (i suppose quality will favor dali's) and punch? I hear very diverse musics through the day, from Mingus to Shackleton, from Can to Satie, King Tubby, Autechre or Cesária Évora. I'm now using the mw65 and and find them "dry" sometimes, missing some bass response on some songs and a bigger soundstage (or maybe not bigger, but i miss more air, a little reverberation that shines on my Sines or my hd600), although i find them really satisfying with some others.

So i'm just looking for a good all terrain headphone capable of singing great any genre with a controlled emphasis on bass. My fear, attending to some reviews, is to find the Dali's bass lacking despite to their fidelity to the original source. I didn't know it because i hate artificial inflated bass (like the one mentioned form the momentums), but i'm discovering that maybe i'm a shy basshead. Maybe i prefer lies that sound like truth than the "real" truth...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #70 of 1,056
That's what i wanted to hear, but not my wallet. Momentums bass is also very false to me. But how would you compare it with the px7's bass? Is there a big difference in quantity (i suppose quality will favor dali's) and punch? I hear very diverse musics through the day, from Mingus to Shackleton, from Can to Satie, King Tubby, Autechre or Cesária Évora. I'm now using the mw65 and and find them "dry" sometimes, missing some bass response on some songs and a bigger soundstage (or maybe not bigger, but i miss more air, a little reverberation that shines on my Sines or my hd600), although i find them really satisfying with some others.

So i'm just looking for a good all terrain headphone capable of singing great any genre with a controlled emphasis on bass. My fear, attending to some reviews, is to find the Dali's bass lacking despite to their fidelity to the original source. I didn't know it because i hate artificial inflated bass (like the one mentioned form the momentums), but i'm discovering that maybe i'm a shy basshead. Maybe i prefer lies that sound like truth than the "real" truth...

i don’t think there is anything wrong in liking a more pushy bass sound. I think the best way to describe these is maybe to say that it’s like listing to an accurate hi-fi setup, Dali themselves say that their concept was to simply put speakers in a box on either side of your head, these sound like listening to a good set of speakers. Headphones probably because of popular culture have become bass machines, obviously manufacturers play to this trend, why wouldn’t they. If you thought Beyer’s Lagoon’s were not bass enough then I wouldn’t get these, they are the same, accurate. The PX7’s have more bass but the bass isn’t as round or clear. As I said if you prefer a slightly false and punchy sound get the Momentum’s. Now that I’ve listened to the PX7’s for a longer period, I would say they are not as good as the Momentum’s, I mean If you like punchy, go all the way, the PX7’s are half cooked SQ wise.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #71 of 1,056
Brintkiks
When are the IO6'S hitting the States - and who will be stocking them?
We have already shipped the first batch of headphones for the US market. I don't know the date for their arrival in the US stores, nor do I know if every DALI store in the US will carry these. These exact answers you can get from our distributor. You can find their contact details on our website in the Find Dealer section (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link?).

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #72 of 1,056
I walked into a local audio dealer yesterday and spotted these. For the last year or so I've been trying to get a high-end ANC headphone but never could one that ticked all the boxes. I've tried many:

Bose QC 35 II - didn't like the Bose sound and air pressure feeling
Bose NC 700 - about the same as the QC 35 II
Sony WH-1000XM3 - very good ANC, but didn't like the overall sound at all (muffled?) - really don't understand why many sites praise the Sony's sound ??!
Beoplay H9i - nice, but headband was not comfortable
Beoplay H8 - nice, but didn't like on-ear, and headband didn't have enough room
Beoplay H9 3rd gen - same headband issue
Sennheiser Momentum 2 - can't remember but ANC was not good and many Bluetooth/ANC/connectivty combination issues IIRC
Sennheiser Momentum 3 - tried it on yesterday, didn't feel that comfortable
B & W PX 7 1st gen - really, really uncomfortable
B & W PX 7 2nd gen - felt better, but still not great
Beyer Dynamic Lagoon - don't remember, but didn't do it or me

So, yesterday I put on the Dali IO 6's and was quickly sold. I spend about an hour listening to them in the store. The sound was amazing, very spacious, bright and solid bass, but nothing was over the top. The soundstage is really amazing. I actually bought them in that brick & mortar store which means I can't return them (for money) - that's how convinced I was.
They are very comfortable, the headband padding is nice and soft and not as hard as the Beoplay's. Maybe real leather on the ear cushions would be a nice touch, but the pleather feels nice.

For the rest, they tick all the boxes (but one...)
- USB-C
- plays and charges via USB-C
- jack input, can play without battery
- ANC (with 'zero' cabin pressure feeling - very comfortable)
I don't care about other stuff like touch controls, or voice assistant or android/ios apps.
The ANC somehow works better when you're playing music. The Bose & Sony could really reduce all sound even when not playing music. The Dali doesn't do that to the extend I remember the Bose and Sony doing it. But when you're playing music, I'm not noticing any other sounds - like the family watching TV while I'm on the couch listing music. (Which is my main use case).
If you're looking for phones to reduce office chatter these might not be the best choice.
One negative thing it doesn't do well is switching between devices - I have to make sure to disconnect before connecting to another device. It would be great if that could be fixed in a firmware issue.
Oh, and the 'transparancy' mode doesn't pause the music as the manual states.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #73 of 1,056
Nice writeup. Gives me hope as I have been through and demoed all of the ones listed above except for the Sennheiser and Beyer. I ended up with the H9's and how own the H9i's for the past 18 months. Mine are used strictly for airline travel - for at home I have other toys :)

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #74 of 1,056
I’m in the same boat as you... strictly using for travel... I did have the Beyer and tried the Senns ... returned the Beyer due to the headband creaking so I’m looking forward to the Dali’s next week.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #75 of 1,056
I'm just going follow up with a simple quick one from what's I've said and others have said.

They a just amazing on every level! They will not disappoint anyone, even if you have heard the 'dali sound' before your in for a treat just as those that have not. Only people who like the fake/muffly bass sound of boss, Sony and others may not like these but even then, I think they may just change people's minds with the natruel, smooth, precise, energetic fun sound they produce, just like their speakers do.

These WILL be replacing my daily drivers, Etymotic ER4 XR's and resign my DAP to just being used at home system has my phone sounds much better with the updated BT 4.2 (don't believe BT 5.0 has much if anything different with codecs/sound quality over 4.2) on my phone! It even stands up against been connected to my onkyo DAP which is twin AMP & twin DAC when it's cabled! I loved the Etymotic sound over shure, ultimate ears etc for their natruel precise sound and now dali have beat them out on their first attempt at headphones! Don't know why I'm too surprised but with the wireless been as good has.

If anything they are getting better over time that I use them too.

Just Wow! Apart from the 'glasses' issue that has been mentioned, which is always going be an issue IMHO with any over heads, these are 10/10 on everything!

I joked about 'this is spinal tap' 11/10 earlier but seriously, these deserve it! Changed my mind about wireless and I've been hardcore in ear fan for 2 decades at this point always putting 'wireless' down for poor sound quality mainly. This week has changed that and I can honestly say these are one of my best buys.

Was meant keep this short but I can't praise these enough.

The thing about the transparency, its basically useless on mine too as it somewhat 'lowers' the volume slightly but not to the point where I can hear anything really. Maybe 20% at most when it should be more like 80,90% or just mute the music. This isn't something I would ever use but I know others will. This could be done with a simple Firmware update I'm sure.

Only got the 'battery full' once too and mostly said 80 or 90%. I've used them for a good 20 hours without charging them and they still say 30% so I don't doubt the battery is fine, probably firmware update would resolve this bug again.

No major issues and better than most out of the box brand new.

Honestly, £350 is a bargain for the io6's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back