DacMagic + SACD = Silence. Err, what?
May 7, 2009 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Vargtass

100+ Head-Fier
I found my Miles Davis - Kind of blue sacd today, got pretty excited and popped it into my denon dvd/sacd-player. Its digitally connected to my Cambridge DacMagic, and analogue from there to my Head-Direct EF1 and my Denon 7000s. What struck me tho, was that I wasn`t able to play it in sacd-mode. I can chose from cd (I assume none-sacd), multi and stereoe. Both multi and stereo doesnt seem to fit very well with the DacMagic. It doesnt emit a light saying what sampling rate its being fed.

Is this normal? Is the sampling-rate higher than what the dacmagic can handle? A bit confused at the moment, was so looking forward to hearing the sacdversion after so long. The normal one is sweet, but with loads of background noise / statics.

May 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 17
I thought SACD only worked from analogue outputs to do with copy protection over SPDIF.

Also is your DAC multi-channel, or just stereo (that's if even SACD is passed though digital, I assume HDMI will have enough bandwidth but unsure even if passed over that either)

May 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 17
Good questions there. Could it be SACD can only be transfered through analogue or hdmi? Hohum.

I think the DacMagic is stereo. It`s a downer if I cant listen to sacds through it, but it`s not really the end of the world, truth be told. Just a bit surprising.

May 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could it be SACD can only be transfered through analogue or hdmi?

Bingo. No surprise there.

May 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 17
To put SACD music into your digital collection, it would have to be sent via analog from the SACD source, and re-recorded, then encoded via FLAC/MP3. All the goodness is lost however.

May 7, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 17
Yep, Bones13 is right, well sort of. You can have a 24/96 interface and record hi res wav/flac. But you are still hearing the output of the DAC of the SACD player that played the SACD and not the SACD itself. (If that makes any sense)

May 7, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 17
If you can switch your SACD player over to read the Red Book layer of your SACD, then it should send digital output to your DAC. You won't get it to send the Scarlet Book layer to your DAC - that's verboten on every SACD player.

May 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 17
haah, the same question had been asked for many times.
smily_headphones1.gif

WHy there is nothing for sacd digtal outs,

May 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 17
Inrestingly if you play a SACD on the PS3, the optical out works fine to an offboard dac.

May 10, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inrestingly if you play a SACD on the PS3, the optical out works fine to an offboard dac.

Really??? Must be a PCM signal then.

Anyone confirm this?

May 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 17
[size=xx-small]Re: PS3[/size]

I'm guessing this is outputting the Redbook layer of a hybrid disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back