DAC19 vs NFB11 vs NFB12 with some philosophical statements
Apr 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

krumme

Head-Fier
[size=medium]Motivation for this review[/size]

[size=medium]Hifi can be a wonderfull hobby when it moves and changes. It seems to be the essence of it.[/size]

[size=medium]I am not headphone user, but finding this huge thriving community, with all its energy, means I post my findings here. [/size]

[size=medium]Coming back to a nearly forgotten hobby, both this community, and the effect the head-phone community have had for the growing Chinese business is fascinating. It looks like the headphone community is the driving force of real hifi today. Congrats to all of you to make that happen.[/size]

[size=medium]In the past 20 years, the price of good hifi have skyrocketed, leading to absurd prices. Having build hifi myself, knowing the cost of the parts, it’s been a pain to watch US and European manufactures selling fancy cabinets with cheap stuff inside. Combined with a very conservative approach, old myths and habbits, for me hifi stagnated as a hobby. And looking from outside, it looks like that happened to the rest of the community, and the small selling numbers forcing manufactures to price their products even higher. A bad reinforcing circle started, resulting in more surround reciewers with digital volumecontrols, sounding worse than low fi from the 80 ties.[/size]

[size=medium]But today, a lot of dudes is walking around with a big phone on the head. A little bit funny in my world, but I guessed the ipod triggered the current headhone community to new hights. New people not so brand committed, therefore allowing a new breed of Chinese companies like audio-gd to get into the spotlight. [/size]

[size=medium]And what a brilliant development. Audio-gd have that spirit, and engineering competence to bring exiting products to the market. And for prices everyone and his young brother can afford. That’s the recipy for moving an entire industry forward.[/size]

[size=medium]Method[/size]

[size=medium]The review is done on Orion speakers [/size][size=medium]www.linkwitzlab.com[/size][size=medium], and only for brief trials have we tried using our phones fx. AKG 701, Denon ah-d2000.[/size]

[size=medium]The review have been done with the help of a second person - a amateur musician, having the same speakers.[/size]
[size=medium]A little warning.  I generally think the speakers/phones is by far the most important part of the sound, if the power is adequate, and the construction is just not wrong. As a consequence the effect of cable don’t have the same importance in my world, as with some of you. I used to think differently about it. But for the reference audio-gd interconnects was used, and the audio-gd psu09 was regulator for the active crossover. [/size]

[size=medium]We have had our share of high-end stuff, with power amps weighting more than the entire review system used, dacs and source for 20-30kg, capacitors in the crossover the sizes of beers. All leading to the same fatigue of the hobby. The likes of Hr. Linkwitz and Kingwa taking it back on track. You don’t need to have a truck in your living room.[/size]

[size=medium]We have shortly used some high-res material, but generally its only done using MP3, 320kb/sec using Spotify. That’s the basis of the evaluation. And the comparison is done using music that people hear. I have kind of grown away from using toilets, horrible aggressive weird classic and stuff like that. The most of this review is not done listening on the sweet spot, but simply listening all over the room for most of the day. That’s how music is used in my daily life.[/size]

[size=medium]God equipment should shine with ordinary music for normal people. And it can, as this review shows.[/size]

[size=medium]The results[/size]

[size=medium]NFB11 vs NFB12[/size]

[size=medium]There is more difference that one should think beforehand, because the technical difference is minor.[/size]
[size=medium]The NFB11 output tons of details, much more than the NFB12, its simply striking and fun to hear[/size]

[size=medium]Its got a more crisp sound[/size]

[size=medium]Its got more nuances in the music, its like there is a blanket in front of the speakers using NFB12 compared to the NFB11.[/size]

[size=medium]The NFB11 gives very good access to the recording, you simply hear the layers, the instruments, the room. It’s a good tool.[/size]

[size=medium]The general sound of the NFB11 seems far more neutral, with the NFB12 showing a more wollen sound – more forgiving.[/size]

[size=medium]Then there is the sideeffect of the NFB 11; you get tired of listening to it. It output some tweeter sound, shown especially on the edge of female voices, giving fatigue. There is some distortion to the sound. In that sense its not neutral. The NFB12 does not have the sideeffect, but then its more boring. Choose your preferences, its not easy.[/size]

[size=medium]For both units you especially lack the high-end body, weight and flesh. There is lacking meat on them bones. It clearly shows on the speaker setup, while not so apparent on the phones.[/size]

[size=medium]A note: the speakers beat the entry level phones to the ground, and even the AKG701 seems non liniar in the midrange, and lacking in stage depth compared to the speakers. [/size]

[size=medium]Generally the wonderfull thing about these audio-gd devices is, you can drive nearly every phone. Even the crazy AKG701 is pushed okey. Note that the NFB11 is matching the Denon Ah-d2000 very nicely, giving a sweet detailed sound. The importance of power at a low price, cant be understated. For 200-300 usd, you will get access to all this worlds wonderfull phones except a few, and put your money where it matters most. That’s freedom to choose.[/size]

[size=medium]If you own some good speakers, or better headhpones I would opt for some better dacs – and that’s said from someone who is very conservative in that regard. I have never had such inexpensive gear, but I am impressed by the results, especially the ability to drive difficult head-phones like the AKG.[/size]

[size=medium]A little proposal for audio-gd. Can we have a class A ps, for the analogue pins for the DAC section please [/size]J, I think it would improve them for very little. Especially the ess dac, show some solid promising, but I guess it demands a completely rework of the system to get it best.

[size=medium]The NFB11 have, in some computer usb setups and situations, shown some problems with small holes in the sound, - sound like small clicks. Probably the reasons it was removed from the market.[/size]

[size=medium]The review was done in a direct comparison, fast switching between the two.[/size]

[size=medium]NFB11 vs. DAC19 DSP and C2.2[/size]

[size=medium]DAC19 dsp, C2.2 does what high-end stuff should do, for a fraction of the price. [/size]

[size=medium]First of it plays beautifully right out of the box. In my experience that’s what good high-end equipment does. You just say wow, and like the sound. You don’t have to adopt to it. Remember this guys: trust your first impressions. If you think there is something wrong with the sound there is. You don’t have to adopt, the gear has.[/size]

[size=medium]Secondly you just play more music all the day using the combo. Why should it be differently? – that’s the major difference to the NFB11. The NFB11 gives me some fatigue after some time, not showing right away in the first listening sessions, if not used in a direct comparison with fx. NFB12, where its more obvious.[/size]

[size=medium]The combo just plays with this dark, black sound and still perfect neutral. Pleanty of meat, body and homogeneus sound. It’s a different sound, it’s a different experience.[/size]

[size=medium]It reminds me of an old Holfi Ida BB, discrete dac, just more resolution, punch and weight in the sound. I have to say I am surprised by the sound quality, especially compared to the NFB11. As a dac/pre it plays better than the 7 times as expensive stuff I had before, and on a fraction of the foot print. Audio-gd is taking hifi the right direction. [/size]

[size=medium]Hifi doesn’t have to be expensive - even using very expensive technical solutions like Kingwa does. [/size]

[size=medium]Needless to say the AKG701 does very well on this combo, the C2.2 with its very strong output, giving it a very needed punch in the bass section. But still, if phones is your primary source, I would save the money and go for the NFB12, or go for some better, and much-much more expensive, phones using this combo.[/size]

[size=medium]The review is done after long term test using both units. Will come back with a short term comparisons.[/size]

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Although I haven't been around for too long it definitely seems like the iPod and other portable music devices have helped push this hobby and its subsequent market into new heights. I myself came here looking for something to pair with my iStation V43 and iRiver H320. Look where it's taken me. It's also cool to read about the previous hi-fi fads that you mentioned. 

Among other things, I enjoyed reading your opinion about speakers vs headphones, lossless vs lossy, as well as your general listening habits.

You seem to put a pretty large emphasis on coloration. I'm surprised to see there's that much variation between the different setups. Also -and judging from what you said, I realize you're passively listening to 320kb/s mp3's- you don't mention instrument separation/soundstage much which, apart from detail retrieval, is one of the largest contributing factors to what makes a really good amp or source "really good" in my opinion. Coming from speakers this very well might be child's play as far as spatial queuing is concerned, but what are your thoughts on this? (more specifically with the DAC19 and headphones)

Anyway, thanks for posting!

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 4
Excellent post.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 4

I originally came here through google because i was wondering if you could have a usb dac at all. Then i found out there was about a thousand. Talk about beeing old :)

I didnt write much about instrument separation and soundstage because i dont have the right benchmark any more. I very seldom go to live unamplified classical conserts (only amplified consert, but have instrument in the house). It was once oposite. From my experience back then training of your cognitive capacity going to live conserts if vital to imagine the right picture - to get the feeling to be there. I can never, ever have the same blast of an experience putting on a pair of high end Stax phones playing some classical music.

I especially had some good experience with some Denon Mahler symp, recorded using only 2 Bruel og Kjær mic. Ruler flat response (as most of the Denon recordings). And perfect picture (but digital sound from the late 80ties :)). So the recording technique and cognitive capacity is decisive.

I dont lisnt to classical that much any more, have very little headphone experience (they are forces on by my wife on a few ocations), and not the best hearing, so i have trouble saying something worthy about instrument separation/soundstage for the dac19dsp on a headphone.

I wouldnt blame the MP3, even if its 320kbs or 160 for that sake. It doent make sence to blame mp3, with all the lousy recordings out there. But i know MP3 is not the best here - and one of the few places where it perhaps can be heard :)

Talking about coloration, for the perspective i know you can just change a resistor or two in your speaker setup - or move your furnitures just a little around - , and it will alter coloration more than any differences between dacs/amps. That said, i think the obvious differences between the setup perhaps have to do with the filter setting in the nfb12 - giving a more rolled of, wollen response??. Dont know, but it would explain a lot of the color differences.

But reading those forums i would really like to have a pair of new phones. I just need an excuse. I am really curious about the new orthos :)

Who knows, perhaps i will even be one of the dudes walking around with big phones on my head, loudly playing Mahler 2 symphony for all in the shop using my iStation V43.

Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Although I haven't been around for too long it definitely seems like the iPod and other portable music devices have helped push this hobby and its subsequent market into new heights. I myself came here looking for something to pair with my iStation V43 and iRiver H320. Look where it's taken me. It's also cool to read about the previous hi-fi fads that you mentioned. 

Among other things, I enjoyed reading your opinion about speakers vs headphones, lossless vs lossy, as well as your general listening habits.

You seem to put a pretty large emphasis on coloration. I'm surprised to see there's that much variation between the different setups. Also -and judging from what you said, I realize you're passively listening to 320kb/s mp3's- you don't mention instrument separation/soundstage much which, apart from detail retrieval, is one of the largest contributing factors to what makes a really good amp or source "really good" in my opinion. Coming from speakers this very well might be child's play as far as spatial queuing is concerned, but what are your thoughts on this? (more specifically with the DAC19 and headphones)

Anyway, thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back