DAC-X10: Worthy Budget 32/384 ES9018 Rig?
Dec 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #46 of 83
A Valab sourced X-10 DAC supports DSD audio via the USB interface where it is coded using the DoP standard (DSD over PCM).

Under windows 7 I found it necessary to install the provided "USB Audio Class Driver" and download (and configure) a trial DSD capable player before I could play for example the free "DFF Stereo" sample files from here: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html .

Peter.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #47 of 83
picked up a different (even cheaper) unknown ES9018 DAC from China, and I certainly heart the sound it delivers.
IvOKvh

May 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #50 of 83
  I have yet to receive my  x10 but can anyone please confirm if I can connect my power amp to the balanced outputs AND my sub to the balanced.

Unless your amp has balanced xlr inputs you would cause major damage to your components and possibly your house. If your amp doesn't have balanced xlr inputs then use the rca outputs on the dac. On some balanced outputs it is possible to use a converter but normally there would be no advantage over using the rca outputs.

May 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #51 of 83
Unless your amp has balanced xlr inputs you would cause major damage to your components and possibly your house. If your amp doesn't have balanced xlr inputs then use the rca outputs on the dac. On some balanced outputs it is possible to use a converter but normally there would be no advantage over using the rca outputs.

The amp is the Audiolab 8200mb which does indeed have balanced XLR inputs (20k resistance). The sub only has RCA inputs (18k). So from what you are saying I should be OK.

May 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #53 of 83
Is anyone using this with Jriver and running DSD files through it?

May 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #55 of 83
  The DAC finally arrived but the install of the supplied driver always fails (windows 8.1) with no error message. Is there an alternative driver which might also work.

The driver that came with it was probably supplied on small cd? I would guess it is version 2.19? If so that is the latest. I do not use windows 8 but I am guessing when you plug in the X10 to a usb 2 port windows shows an unknown device in device manager? If so, double click on that unknown device and select have driver, then point to your disc on the cd drive and it should load.

You may have the X10 plugged into a usb 3 port and on some motherboards it will not recognize the device at all. Windows 7 it installs somewhat easier. If you have a defective disc report back and I will see if I can upload the driver for you. I don't have the X10 but the Gustard usb I have probably uses the exact same driver. 

On their sale website their driver link is to an old version 1.61 driver. I do not think that will work with the newer xmos dsd device but I never tried it. Let me know if any of this helps.

May 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #56 of 83
Thanks for the rapid reply. The supplied driver is indeed 2.19. I tried installing directly from the disk using device manager. It presented two options for xmos xs1-l1 (ST). I tried both. Both were  unsigned. Both failed to install - 'the hash file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering'

May 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #57 of 83
  Thanks for the rapid reply. The supplied driver is indeed 2.19. I tried installing directly from the disk using device manager. It presented two options for xmos xs1-l1 (ST). I tried both. Both were  unsigned. Both failed to install - 'the hash file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering'

The file is not corrupt I am using that driver right now. It is possible that the id code in the driver I supplied does not match the id code for your device. You can use notepad to open the setup part of the driver and look. When you unpacked the driver I sent it should create a file exactly 2.82 mb in size. If it is the right size you got it all. 

If you want to zip the driver they sent you with the X10 and email it to me I will compare the 2 and find the problem for you (if I can). You have my email address. This may be a Windows 8 problem in which case I might not be much help.

Does your device manager in windows list the X10 as an "unknown device"?

May 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #58 of 83
I am going to email you another version of this driver right now that is supposed to be exactly for your device, I found it on the Chinese forum on the web. This one says it is for X10 windows7/8 so it should work. Please report back.

May 13, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #59 of 83
Thanks for the support - my issue was with the WIn 8.1 64 bit driver signing constraint. There is a work around as shown on

http://tivadj-tech.blogspot.in/2012/09/certificate-check-error-when-installing.html

So, when installing the Gustard X-10 usb driver on WIndows 8.1 (and presumably Windows 8) you need to temporarily  'disable'  driver signing as explained in the above article ..

And while I have not tried it through my Maggies / Audiolab, a test on my office PC system shows the DAC is a significant uplift on the mobo realtek dac AND well worth the investment !!!

May 13, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #60 of 83
  Thanks for the support - my issue was with the WIn 8.1 64 bit driver signing constraint. There is a work around as shown on

http://tivadj-tech.blogspot.in/2012/09/certificate-check-error-when-installing.html

So, when installing the Gustard X-10 usb driver on WIndows 8.1 (and presumably Windows 8) you need to temporarily  'disable'  driver signing as explained in the above article ..

And while I have not tried it through my Maggies / Audiolab, a test on my office PC system shows the DAC is a significant uplift on the mobo realtek dac AND well worth the investment !!!

Glad to here it's sorted out. I would expect most stand alone dacs to be superior to your realtek built into the motherboard. We will look for your more detailed impression once you get this into your home system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back