DAC with balanced output?
Jun 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 17
Can of worms coming up!
tongue.gif
Multiple models abound here so I'm going to have to mention brands only. Price range here will be all over the board too (starting at ~$800 all the way up to >$5K)

- Aqvox
- Apogee Electronics
- April Music/Stello
- Audio Note
- bel canto
- Benchmark Media
- CEC
- Electrocompaniet
- Lavry Engineering
- PS Audio

This is just the tip of the iceberg, many more balanced DACs are out there, some of them extremely expensive.

The Cambridge Audio Azur 840C is also a balanced DAC and you get a CD player with it too.

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 has balanced output. It doesn't use XLR connectors though so you might need adapters.

whaat?
really?

EDIT: yeah you're right. There are two rca outputs in inverted phase.

Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 17
All of the higher end Esoteric DACs have balanced capabilities. An often overlooked and really incredible DAC is the McIntosh MDA1000...but at the price, it ought to be.

Jun 7, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of the higher end Esoteric DACs have balanced capabilities. An often overlooked and really incredible DAC is the McIntosh MDA1000...but at the price, it ought to be.

you might as well add Emm Labs in there as well

also
Lite Dac (there's one in the FS forum right now)

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 17
Although it has its limitations, and has had some tough comparisons to the Benchmark, I think the Bel Canto Dac3 is hard to beat for the value. I own the Bel Canto, Benchmark USB and the Apogee Mini.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 17
There are lots of DAC's with balanced outputs out there.
I personally love my Electrocompaniet ECD1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 17
wow. didn't that is a lot of brands out there. Have been searching google for all the brands that you all have all listed. Some of the price is so expensive. Juz wish to know issit worth it for the price of 2000++ for a DAC?

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 17
I have to ask, is it actually necessary for the outputs of a DAC to be balanced? As I understand it there's no benefit. I've very rarely even seen a top-end hi-fi system using balanced connections.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthflyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow. didn't that is a lot of brands out there. Have been searching google for all the brands that you all have all listed. Some of the price is so expensive. Juz wish to know issit worth it for the price of 2000++ for a DAC?

Theres a reason why people say "Source first"
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back