DAC Recommendations Needed
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Highresears

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so I'm unable to post under the dedicated section yet.

To start off, I'm currently using a pair of JVC HA-FW01 earphones. I began researching on DAC when I realised the audio from my gaming laptop (realtek audio HD with Soundblaster X-Fi MB5 software) sounds relatively hollow compared to my macbook pro. I've read that it's very possible that DAC might just be the issue here, but I'm not entirely sure if it's really the cause.

I'm totally new to this DAC and AMP thing. From what I know, an amp isn't really required in my case because my earphones can easily be powered. However, I couldn't find any information on whether an external DAC can work without an amp with my earphones. Initially I was considering the Fiio E10k but the audio shop personnel told me that it won't make a difference to what my realtek has to offer. He also mentioned that there's a possibilty that the Fiio might fry my earphones, and he recommended another standalone DAC without amp (and way more expensive) instead. I decided I had to do some research before taking another leap.

I would appreciate if any of you could recommend something neutral but better than what my macbook pro and the realtek can provide. I guess my max budget would be capped at the schiit stack pricing.

TL;DR:
1) I need a neutral sounding DAC recommendation
2) Max 200USD (might be able to increase a little more if there's a significant difference)
3) Can I plug my headphones directly into a DAC?
4) Earphones specs: JVC HA-FW01

Model Dynamic type
Driver unit Caliber 11mm
Wood dome unit
Output sound pressure level 104dB / 1mW
Frequency
6Hz ~ 50,000Hz
Impedance 16Ω
Maximum permissible input 200mW (IEC)
Damping structure Quad metal harmonium micronizer
cable MMCX-terminal type removable 1.2m (Y type) OFC wire cloth winding cable
Input plug φ3.5mm24 gold-plated stereo mini plug (straight)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 11
Honestly, just pick up something like a Modi 2 from Schiit and you'll be much happier :) it's only $100 and looks/sounds great! I think SMSL makes a comparable DAC, the Sanskrit. Good luck!

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 11
However, I couldn't find any information on whether an external DAC can work without an amp with my earphones. Initially I was considering the Fiio E10k but the audio shop personnel told me that it won't make a difference to what my realtek has to offer. He also mentioned that there's a possibilty that the Fiio might fry my earphones, and he recommended another standalone DAC without amp (and way more expensive) instead. I decided I had to do some research before taking another leap.

lol. I wonder how that person got a job at an audio shop, because he doesn't know what he's talking about. First, you can't drive headphones directly from conventional DACs. If you get a standalone DAC, you have to connect it to an amp, which you connect to your headphones. Or you could get a DAC/amp that has both in one unit. Second, the E10K (which is a DAC/amp) will not fry your earphones. It only outputs up to 200 mW at 32 ohms. Logically, it can output more than that at 16 ohms, but you won't be pushing that much power into the headphones unless you crank the volume to maximum. If you use the volume knob like you should by starting at zero, then gradually increasing to your desired level, you'll have nothing to worry about.

I would appreciate if any of you could recommend something neutral but better than what my macbook pro and the realtek can provide.

Nearly all DACs have a neutral measured frequency response. However, the perceived frequency response can differ due to other aspects of their design.

Whether it's audibly better than what you already have depends on many factors, but ultimately, you'll have to compare with your own ears.

The best DAC under $200 that I have owned is the JDS Labs OL DAC. But DACs in this price range don't differ a whole lot. With many headphones, there was no audible difference between a Schiit Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 and the headphone outputs of my laptop. The headphones/speakers you use determine most of the sound. (I downgraded from high-end DACs to a $30 Behringer UCA202 audio interface, yet am getting far better sound than before because I upgraded my speakers.)

If I were you, I'd go with something cheap with the goal of saving up and upgrading to something a bit higher-end later. The E10K would be sufficient to start with.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 11
I higly recommend the JDS Labs OL-DAC, it's my favourite under $200.

Only issue is you cannot plug your headphones into it directly, you need a DAC/Amp for that.

If you can increase your budget, I higly recommend getting the JDS Labs OL-DAC and the O2 amplifier, they stack on top of eachother, and you can get JDS labs to customize the O2 amp so it has RCA outputs on the back too.

It is my main reference setup and sounds awesome.

DSC_8865.jpg

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 11
I higly recommend the JDS Labs OL-DAC, it's my favourite under $200.

Only issue is you cannot plug your headphones into it directly, you need a DAC/Amp for that.

If you can increase your budget, I higly recommend getting the JDS Labs OL-DAC and the O2 amplifier, they stack on top of eachother, and you can get JDS labs to customize the O2 amp so it has RCA outputs on the back too.

It is my main reference setup and sounds awesome.

Thanks for your reply! in that case how does your setup compare to the integrated O2+ODAC dac/amp? Would it be better to have two separate ones, or an integrated one?

Thanks again!

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for your reply! in that case how does your setup compare to the integrated O2+ODAC dac/amp? Would it be better to have two separate ones, or an integrated one?

Thanks again!
Two separate units is essentially the same as one combo unit in terms of sound quality! The only differences are somewhat obvious: two dedicated units are easier to upgrade, but tend to take up more space. Good luck!

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 11
in that case how does your setup compare to the integrated O2+ODAC dac/amp?

FYI, the OL DAC is a slightly improved version of the ODAC. But the Schiit Modi Multibit ($249) is a major upgrade over any DAC under $200, in my opinion. That's why I mentioned that it could be better to use cheap gear at first with the goal of upgrading to something beyond your current budget. Since you will usually get the most improvement in sound by upgrading your headphones, it's also a good idea to take amplification for future headphones into consideration. If you ever get harder-to-drive headphones, an amp like the Schiit Magni 2 could be useful. On the other hand, if you don't plan on using anything other than IEMs, then you won't need to worry about getting a powerful amp.

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 11
FYI, the OL DAC is a slightly improved version of the ODAC. But the Schiit Modi Multibit ($249) is a major upgrade over any DAC under $200, in my opinion. That's why I mentioned that it could be better to use cheap gear at first with the goal of upgrading to something beyond your current budget. Since you will usually get the most improvement in sound by upgrading your headphones, it's also a good idea to take amplification for future headphones into consideration. If you ever get harder-to-drive headphones, an amp like the Schiit Magni 2 could be useful. On the other hand, if you don't plan on using anything other than IEMs, then you won't need to worry about getting a powerful amp.
Thanks so much for your input! I'll spend some time considering my options, and just perhaps increase my budget a little. However, in the case that I get a Modi Multibit, I still couldn't connect my iem to it right? Would I still require an amp (even a lousy one) to drive my iem?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks so much for your input! I'll spend some time considering my options, and just perhaps increase my budget a little. However, in the case that I get a Modi Multibit, I still couldn't connect my iem to it right? Would I still require an amp (even a lousy one) to drive my iem?

Correct. You need to connect an amp to a standalone DAC and take that into account budget-wise.

There are lots of lousy amps under $100, so perhaps something like a Magni 2 would be the better choice even if you don't plan on using full-size headphones, since it's just $99.

Still, starting out with a DAC/amp like the E10K could be a better first move.

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 11

Thanks again!

The OL-DAC is built from the ground up and is not just a redesigned ODAC. It uses a different chip and has optical inputs, it is a superb DAC and I have used its bigger brother the EL-DAC (same chip) with a Violectic V281 and HiFiMan susvara and didn't think it was the weak link sounds superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back