DAC Recommendations. MQA or not?
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #31 of 48
I just don't see why MQA as another file format must be introduced. Given Hi-Res streaming is available, I don't see the reason why Hi-Res files need to be compressed into the MQA format.

But coming back to the DAC issue: for me, the sonic qualities of a DAC are far more important than being MQA-compatible.
It needs to be compressed for data efficiency. Some people have data caps or worse connections. Streaming Hi-res is difficult to get consistently and my internet is not bad at all by US standards. I agree though, I'd rather have excellent CDQ FLAC playback than sacrifice that for hi-res streaming support. If I really want hi res I still have a small local library.

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #32 of 48
I wouldn't recommend basing your choice around MQA, especially now given accusations regarding its authenticity.
From who??
Given that you're asking for recommendations for DACs supporting MQA, then you must have liked what you've heard!!??
Who's fooling who? look at MQA Partners, they can't all be fooled !! Some of the best names in Digital !!
If you are referring to the recent CA thread maybe look at the Darko website where he conducts a recent interview with Stuart(at Munich),which was probably done in reply.
This site has supported many negative views on MQA from day one by some who clearly had not heard it !!
Now, if you want to talk 'HiRes' in general., I could refer to several very creditable Manufacturers who eschew it all together!!

I could recommend a couple of DACs which support MQA but as they don't get a menton from the 'names' on this site, then I'd be wasting my time !!

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #33 of 48
I could recommend a couple of DACs which support MQA but as they don't get a menton from the 'names' on this site, then I'd be wasting my time !!
Why do you dig up this old thread just to say people are wrong and then offer no real information?

I'd love to hear some opinions and good options for MQA but you just come to tell people "you're wrong and telling you why is a waste of time." Talk about a waste of time, if nobody listens why even post?

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #34 of 48
Old thread?
I wasn't the one 'speculating' !! The person who did , didn't offer any 'evidence'. I just asked "who" !!

BTW, I'm not gifted enough to understand the 'tech' bits, I just like what I hear, which is no relevance to you as we don't know each other. However, the original question seemed to asked for recommendations of DACs that supported MQA, not ones that didn't !

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #35 of 48
From who??
You've already answered that when you said "If you are referring to the recent CA thread".

Given that you're asking for recommendations for DACs supporting MQA, then you must have liked what you've heard!!??
I wasn't asking.

Who's fooling who? look at MQA Partners, they can't all be fooled !! Some of the best names in Digital !!
And many have stated that they are adding MQA to their products at the request of their customers. I guess the customers have been fooled. What is more, it was shown that you could remove the high-freqency content and still fool MQA DACs into indicating that you were listening to a high-res MQA file.

If you are referring to the recent CA thread maybe look at the Darko website where he conducts a recent interview with Stuart(at Munich),which was probably done in reply.
There is also one on Stereophile, where Bob Stuart speaks a bunch of meaningless gibberish. It has been proven that MQA is both a: lossless, and b: not high-res, and, worse still, c: lower than even CD quality.

This site has supported many negative views on MQA from day one by some who clearly had not heard it !!
Computer Audiophile? From what I've read it has threads where detailed analysis has been done of MQA sufficient to prove that their initial claims about it are demonstrably false.

So have I heard MQA processed music? Yes I have. I have a TIDAL subscription (where a large quantity of MQA music is available) and have the second of two MQA decoding DACs here.

Some examples of the many very audible issues: One album I've listened to side-by-side with the non-MQA version had a significant pitch change (INXS). Other albums, as has been shown by analysis have been run through some kind of compression algorithm which makes the music sound different, in many cases adding obvious distortion (eg: Getz and Gilberto) . Something to understand: It is NOT the file type that makes the difference, it is processing done to the actual tracks, many of which still have audible artefacts from their initial processing (ie: are clearly not from unprocessed master tapes) ie: we are most definitely not listening to a "mastering quality" track. Anyone can, with enough study and practice, remaster music to make it sound "better". There used to be a member here who would "remaster" (if you can call it that) regular music tracks and gained quite a bit of acclaim for what he did. However MQA is obviously running everything through some kind of computer (there is no way, given the quantity of music involved, that this is being done with any significant care) so they can show people that it sounds different.

This is just SACD all over again. Remember SACDs? Analysis of those found that many of them were the 44.1 CD version up-sampled to DSD64 and had no high-res content.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #39 of 48
The point of MQA is supposed to be to deliver the music in the state of which it was created. From recording to mixing to mastering to the final product. The Problem however is that depending on who's music you're listening to, it's more fluff than properly utilized. Recoding and proper mixing in the higher sampling rates and frequencies offer more detail and volume headroom in the mixing environment/digital (and analogue) soundspace.

Sadly when we're talking about most of the more popular artists under the the bigger label empires are still more onboard with marketing as opposed to actually utilizing it properly. (I risk sounding snobbish now but...:worried:) things get different when you get into the realm of the smaller guys. I listen to mainly death metal. In many cases there you're talking about smaller more home bread recording houses, all the way down to singular bands and even one man gigs. They tend to actually utilize the perks of the higher sampling fates and bit depth far more properly, especially when you get into the more progressive stuff. Those tend to not release with that silly MQA badge, while actually being the real deal, as I'm sure there are a few in in the more mainstream side of things.

All stuff we learn in recording school really.

In the end really this stuff is recorded in the higher rates to begin with (remember them vinyls. They knew about this stuff way back when. Consumer standards and a certain digital music empire, helped crunch everything once it gets in our hand)

On the hunt for me some capable DAC myself but I'll hold off on posting as opposed to risk hijacking bro's thread for that much lol

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #40 of 48
I really really like my Schiit Bifrost Multibit. I didn't love it totally in its original form; got the Uber update and it was not a big difference; but then the multibit did it for me. However, I also wanted to decode MQA music, and I added a Pro-Ject Pre S2 box, which is very versatile and capable. I didn't love it tho; I returned it and got the Mytek Liberty at a good price. I like the Mytek's sound, slightly better than the Pro-Ject (to me) and it does a great job with MQA. But on "regular" files, I still prefer my Bimby, by a small margin. The Liberty is an excellent DAC, and a good headamp, but the headphone output is not quite as meaty and satisfying as 2 other h-amps I have.

That may or may not be useful to you, but at least weighing in since I've experienced 3 of the DAC's mentioned in this thread.

(By the way, I find some MQA decoded files a nice improvement; but some others I can't really tell the difference. There is variability there just like in other formats)

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #41 of 48
I really dislike MQA, but I like Tidal's selection. Sigh.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #43 of 48
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #45 of 48
I bought a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ specifically for the MQA support and build quality. The Brooklyn is worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back