DAC(found) + Speakers for new iMac...
Jul 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

astroboi

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hey guys,

Recently purchased a 27" iMac and am now in the market for a USB (or otherwise) sound card that I can run from the machine to my headphones/speakers (group environment some of the time). Main usage is listening to music (WIDE variety of music but a focus on older classic rock and a bit of electro/pop) as well as watching a whole crap load of movies (but I doubt this will have much impact on the suggestion). Whilst it would be great to keep it within $200 I may be able to get a bit more money (if I don't eat for a week :p).

Suggestions, thoughts... spam?
[/size]

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 18
I think you'd want a USB external DAC instead of a "sound card" the likes of Creative. You'll get more sound quality for cheaper. Unless you want surround sound simulation like Creative's CMSS-3D. Which I'll admit works wonders for games, but I've come to prefer the clarity of stereo from the uDAC when watching movies.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 18
I have no real interest in surround sound simulation, I had a X-Fi Xtreme audio card in my previous computer, but never really liked the CMSS-3D stuff as it seemed like a waste of time... I was looking at that X-Fi USB card but thought there may be other possibilities my small knowledge of brands could have easily missed... Any other suggestions?

edit: spelling!

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 18
Look into an external DAC. Your iMac has a very nice optical out you can send to a DAC. That, with the remote control, will make a very nice music server. My sister picked up the 27" iMac at Christmas - they're really nice. Hope you enjoy it!

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 18
I don't use the 3d effects myself. But the Creative USB card is quite capable musically speaking. I like the sound, with some effects turned off. I've used them with $10-$15 Creative speakers, the A60 and the card made the speakers sound like much bigger speakers. They also drove the Creative T40 very well. I love the volume control too. Very convenient.

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 18
OK guys, after having done some research I have come up with two possibilities (not exactly within budget, but who goes within budget here anyway?) that I can't choose between, INDECISIVE! So I was hoping considering my usage you may be able to make my decision a little easier. My choices are:

Agogee Duet (Pro: Music creation base/seems to be suggested a lot to Mac owners Con: FIREWIRE!!)
Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 (Pro: Not FIREWIRE/multiple different inputs, Con: Size)

I plan on connecting both a set of speakers (to be replaced sometime... maybe) and headphones dependent on my surrounds and I do plan on working out a wireless streaming system in the future.

So, any other points I should be considering or suggestions of one over the other?

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
OK guys, after having done some research I have come up with two possibilities (not exactly within budget, but who goes within budget here anyway?) that I can't choose between, INDECISIVE! So I was hoping considering my usage you may be able to make my decision a little easier. My choices are:

Agogee Duet (Pro: Music creation base/seems to be suggested a lot to Mac owners Con: FIREWIRE!!)
Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 (Pro: Not FIREWIRE/multiple different inputs, Con: Size)

I plan on connecting both a set of speakers (to be replaced sometime... maybe) and headphones dependent on my surrounds and I do plan on working out a wireless streaming system in the future.

So, any other points I should be considering or suggestions of one over the other?

Why is Firewire a Con? If the Duet is in your budget, I'd say go for it.
If you really need USB(probably for other computers without Firewire?), take a look at E-MU 0202 or 0404.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Firewire is only a con because people have been telling me to use the optical out on my iMac. I'm willing to splurge on the DAC as I figure it will be worth spending more here in the long run, particularly considering how many people say the Duet is good.

I will end up also getting something along the line of the line of the AudioEngine A2's (or even the A5's if I can manage to get some overtime at work soon) as my speakers.

So, Duet it seems to be then, thanks guys! :D

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 18
Yeah, firewire audio is superior technically to usb or optical. It even supplies 12V power versus 5V with usb, so the DAC has more to work with without requiring a dedicated power supply.

What headphones do you use, by the way? The Duet is pretty high end for a first DAC. I'm sure it will sound terrific on any decent cans, but I reckon you'd need a good pair of headphones to really bring out their potential.

About the A5, there's someone selling a used pair in the For Sale forums:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497112/fs-white-audioengine-a5
It's from the USA though, so shipping costs to your location might be insane.

ps Welcome to head-fi! And sorry about your wallet.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Firewire being superior... HURRAH!

For my headphones, currently I only have Shure SE310's and Senn HD202's. I may replace the Senn's however because they are starting to show their age on my guitar amp especially, as for what they will be... lets get past the 1 grand I am already spending first :p

Yeah, US shipping for something like that will make those more expensive then they would be new I imagine 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome man and as for my wallet... ahhh well... you can't always save your money can you?

edit: spelling...

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 18
Currently I'm listening to HD650's off of an iMac run through a Duet. Really it is a very nice sound.
The Duet is so easy. My Genelec 8020's plug right in...highly recommended. Plus this thing is a
breeze to record with. I've thought about going a different way, a dedicated DAC perhaps, but only
if I wasn't recording, otherwise, what a bang for your buck device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back