DAC for iPod
May 14, 2012 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

reddragon

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently my portable rig is iPod Classic 160GB 7th Gen> (through FiiO L9 as LOD) FiiO E17 Alpen> Sony MDR-Z1000. I thought I would be using the Wolfson DAC in my E17 if I use a line out but no, the E17 is only a USB DAC so I am still using the Cirrus Logic built in soundcard. I bought the iPod because of the sheer memory size and the easy to use Apple interface. My question is do i need an external dac for my iPod for my setup to sound best? My songs are mostly in 16 bit 44.1 kHz (CD quality basically) Apple Lossless. So, what do you guys think? This below, should be the soundcard information but I don't quite know how to read specs. 

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs42l55.html

May 14, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 20
Not really, the iPod DAC is pretty good IMO. Improvements would be marginal at best, most of that changed sound comes from the amp that is usually bundled with the DAC (Fiio).
Even those that do work with iPod are pretty expensive (500+ if I'm not wrong). Not worth the money, you can spend that on headphones if possible.

May 14, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
Not really, the iPod DAC is pretty good IMO. Improvements would be marginal at best, most of that changed sound comes from the amp that is usually bundled with the DAC (Fiio).
Even those that do work with iPod are pretty expensive (500+ if I'm not wrong). Not worth the money, you can spend that on headphones if possible.

yeah i looked at the algorithim solos, they are like $500+, more expensive than my ipod lol. i didnt really want to spend on that so thanks for letting me know my ipod has good enough DAC lol, now i can sleep at night 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 20
Stick with what you got unless you really want to spend some money in which I would suggest this.

May 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
Hey but is it compatible with my e17?

I'm guessing the HRT iStreamer would bypass the DAC part of the E17, so you would be just using the amp part of the E17.

May 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
I'm guessing the HRT iStreamer would bypass the DAC part of the E17, so you would be just using the amp part of the E17.

i see... but how does it work? i connect my ipod with the istreamer through the dock and then how do i connect my e17 to the istreamer? is it even possible to connect them like this?

May 16, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
I see... but how does it work? i connect my ipod with the istreamer through the dock and then how do i connect my e17 to the istreamer? is it even possible to connect them like this?

RCA (red/white) to stereo mini-jack (1/8" 3.5mm) cable, I'm guessing.
So, from the RCA outputs on the HRT iStreamer, to the line-input on the E17.

May 16, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 20
May 16, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Not really, the iPod DAC is pretty good IMO.

That's what I was going to say. Good call. I've always liked the sound from my iPod. I know some people dislike it, but it's always been good to me.

And that's probably the main point. It's all relative & quite highly subjective. I think the OP could further assist by narrowing his/her criteria & limitations.

Personally for me, I think I can't live without an external iDevice DAC/Amp simply cos I've listened/owned a few for the past 8 months. And if someone were to say that I can't carry one, then I'd rather get rid of the iPod & get another player (like the iBasso DX100 or Sony Z-1070). But that's my personal opinion, with my personal criteria, & my personal budget.

The way I personally look at it is "of course you can do better....what's your price?".

May 16, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
And that's probably the main point. It's all relative & quite highly subjective. I think the OP could further assist by narrowing his/her criteria & limitations.
Personally for me, I think I can't live without an external iDevice DAC/Amp simply cos I've listened/owned a few for the past 8 months. And if someone were to say that I can't carry one, then I'd rather get rid of the iPod & get another player (like the iBasso DX100 or Sony Z-1070). But that's my personal opinion, with my personal criteria, & my personal budget.
The way I personally look at it is "of course you can do better....what's your price?".

Agree.  The other thing to consider is where to spend that cash.  Whilst you've got some gear that probably justifies an HP-P1 or CLAS set-up, I just wonder whether it would be worth it spending ~ $5-600 to bypass the iPod dac - when it could probably be better spent on upgrading OP's headphones.  That would probably give an arguably bigger sonic enhancement.

In the end though - this comment from the OP intrigues me ...... 

yeah i looked at the algorithim solos, they are like $500+, more expensive than my ipod lol. i didnt really want to spend on that so thanks for letting me know my ipod has good enough DAC lol, now i can sleep at night

From that it actually sounds as though he's quite happy with the sound out of the iPod and is looking for reassurance.  If that's the case OP - stick with what you have and enjoy the music!  Personally I have an iPod Touch G4/iPhone4 + Arrow HE4G, and I'm completely happy.  I know some people rubbish the iPod dacs sometimes - but if you like the sound, that's all that really matters.  Just a thought anyway.

May 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 20
Some of the posters' minds are already made up, and they are looking for a positive reinforcement to spend cash, then it makes perfect sense to suggest gear.
But there are some who are doubtful, I think they should know what they want in the first place, and see/ask whether they really need to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back