DAC for HifiMan EF5 + HE-500
Jan 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spandy87

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I recently got a HE-500 and I'm thinking about getting the EF5 to drive it. I currently have a Xonar Essence STX driving it and it's actually performing nicely (just feels really neutral and thin). I want something warmer, and fuller, but with the same amazing soundstage. Is the EF5 a good fit for these cans? Also, what DAC should I use with it? I was thinking about just using my Essence STX as a DAC to start.

Looking to pay around $1000 for amp + dac

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi, 
Do you have a budget? 

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Well my budget for the whole solution is around $1000, including both amp and DAC. I want to find the best balance for the money. One thing I should mention, 100% of my audio will come from my computer (so basically a music server) and it is entirely FLAC (unless it's a movie, in which case it will be MKV).

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 7
Also found the Essence STX to be slightly thin sounding with the HE-500 when using the onboard headphone amp. You will definitely find that a good desktop amp will add good body and weight to the sound.

Think there are some impressions floating around in the HE-500 impressions thread in combination with the EF5, but from what I remember people were quite positive about the combination, though I have no idea whether it result in the sound signature you desire. The EF6 is also due to be launched soon.

I am quite liking the Essence STX with my Lehmann BCL which sounds very transparent and neutral to me, but warm it definitely isn't. For a bit of fun and not too much money you could consider replacing the opamps for the I/V section of the Essence STX with OPA2134s which I thought warmed up the sound by quite some margin over the stock opamps, but way too much for my liking! :wink:

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the info. I heard the HE-500 with the Nuforce HDP and it sounded good but the soundstage is too tight. I really do like the precision  and open sound provided  by the Essence STX, so I'm thinking about trying it with just that and the EF5. So far the only other major contender that I've found is the Schiit Bifrost for the DAC and pair it with the EF5. Would that be a good combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back