DAC difference
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #76 of 577
I don't get the obsession with blind testing. Just AB with a switch for direct comparison. If you don't hear any difference, it's probably not worth your money, performance wise speaking. There might be other reasons though. And precisely level match your sources fist.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #77 of 577
Of the DACs I have there are definitely differences. I could think of reasons there should be sonic differences even between chip DACs but I really don't care about that.

There are at least chipdacs, fpga DACs, R2R DACs and they're all pretty different. Anyway nobody listens right off the chip. The power supply and analog section have a lot of influence. There are also things like build quality, materials, support etc. Not sure where the thread is going but to my ears (ex musician and been tested with perfect pitch) there are enough sonic differences that without a bottomless wallet might cause somebody to pick one DAC vs. another based on sound quality alone.

My RME is definitely more musical than my Brooklyn. My Audiolab 8300CD is definitely more musical than my Oppo. To be honest I didn't expect this. But it jumps out at me at times, I'm not somebody who looks for this, so I'm sure it exists.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #78 of 577
The problem is these differences disappear in blind testing. Take away your visual stimuli which is feeding your expectation bias and pretty much all properly functioning and properly powered electronics sound the same. I don't know of any tests conducted where even professional audio reviewers could discern DACs in a blind test. Blind testing has been the bane of electronics and cable manufacturers for decades now.
Yes excellent post. The Truth.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #80 of 577
I can’t fix deliberately backwards thinking. I don’t see any reason to feed trolls.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #82 of 577
I hear pretty obvious differences

And no, I haven't done a blind test

Welcome to Sound Science. This is the only forum on Head Fi where we get to tell you that your anecdotal, sighted impressions aren’t good enough evidence. Believe what you want to believe. We’ll respect your belief when you’ve made the effort to base your beliefs on actual evidence.

I've seen plenty of blind tests where people distinguished between DACs, though!

Let’s see a link to them then.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #83 of 577
Welcome to Sound Science. This is the only forum on Head Fi where we get to tell you that your anecdotal, sighted impressions aren’t good enough evidence. Believe what you want to believe. We’ll respect your belief when you’ve made the effort to base your beliefs on actual
Good stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #84 of 577
Thanks, but I really don’t need a cheerleader.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #86 of 577
Welcome to Sound Science. This is the only forum on Head Fi where we get to tell you that your anecdotal, sighted impressions aren’t good enough evidence. Believe what you want to believe. We’ll respect your belief when you’ve made the effort to base your beliefs on actual evidence.
It’s not sound science it’s an equipment forum, I checked. If it was sound science I wouldn’t post.

oops I guess it is sound science..... ignore all my posts I’m sure you already have. My bad, I’m out

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #87 of 577
It’s not sound science it’s an equipment forum, I checked. If it was sound science I wouldn’t post
You should do a properly controlled double-blind test about the perceptible differences between the equipment forums and the sound science forum then publish your results in some journal to get it peer reviewed. But for real, check which subforum you are posting on. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #88 of 577
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #90 of 577
It’s not sound science it’s an equipment forum, I checked. If it was sound science I wouldn’t post.

oops I guess it is sound science..... ignore all my posts I’m sure you already have. My bad, I’m out

Thanks for highlighting the unreliability of human observation and related perceptual commentary...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back