Dac/Amp recommendation
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sac666

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a Sub £200 desktop DAC/AMP to replace my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic XS.
It will be driving Philips Fidelio X2, AKG k712, Sennheiser HD 650 ( future purchase). Occasionally some low impedance headphones as well Audioquest Nighthawk, Psb m4u1 and Grado Sr 80

I have read good things about Audioquest Dragonfly Red / ifi Zen Dac / Fiio X5 / Topping A30? Or D30? ( not sure which is Amp Dac)

I am looking for a Warm sound, probably tubey? and don't mind some coloration.

I am leaning towards ifi Zen Dac but ooen to other recommendations.

Also I am based in UK so availability of some the drop offerings is limited but don't mind scouting second

Thanks

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 2
The HD 650s are easy to drive but hard to drive well. IMHO they need a real amp, ideally tube OTL. They will sound fine out of a laptop or dacamp until you hear them from a proper amp and then you will beat yourself for lost time. I think the other cans you listed are more easily driven, but not sure about the K712s. By the way, impedance is not the whole story when it comes to how easy or difficult it is to drive the headphones. Sensitivity has much more influence.

For the Sennheisers and probably everything else on your list, the Meier Corda Jazz-ff is quite a nice amp. Although it's solid state it swings enough voltage for Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back