DAC/AMP for HD 650's
Oct 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Th3irdEye

New Head-Fier
Ok so just a quick question. I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1
which gets audio USB out of my laptop. I want to get an amp to go with my HD 650's but I'm not sure if I should use my Creative as a DAC and get a stand alone AMP or if I should get a DAC/AMP all-in-one combo that will do USB. Which would I benefit more from? Should I just get a whole new separate DAC and AMP? I'm assuming that's going to be more money though...

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 4
For starters, what is your overall budget, that will help you figure out what options there are.

I don't know how good the source is on that X-Fi but you could probably do with better source.

I don't have one, but the Nuforce HDP (DAC/AMP combo) seems to be liked with some HD650 owners.

Also, do a search for HD650 in the Headphone Amp forum and you'll learn a lot that way too.

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks. I'll look into the stuff you posted. My budget at most is probably about $400 although I really don't want to spend that much. $200-$300 would be the sweet spot.

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 4
In that range you have some options, like the Schiit, Matrix M-Stage, Little Dot MKIII to name a few. There's also DIY stuff in that range.
I would urge you to spend some time on the forum, do some searching and read up a bit. Check the FS forum too when you have a better idea.

For a DAC/AMP combo, there's the NuForce HDP ($450). If you just want to get an amp for now, above are just a few suggestions.

I personally went with a Matrix M-Stage (~$230 on the FS forum, $260 new) for now and have an EMU USB 0404 as my source/DAC.

You'll find reviews for all of these in the forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back