Dac/amp Decision: Monitor 02 vs Zero vs Aune mk2
Mar 26, 2010 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

miyinan

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am only new to these hifi stuffs and looking for dac/amp combo (an easy and simple setup: laptop - dac/amp combo - headphone/speaker).

I have read a lot of threads in here and still trying to decide among these three choices, Musiland Monitor 02 us, Zero 09 (with AD1852, op627 and usb), and the Aune mk2.

As portability is not too important to me, I am personally leaning towards the Zero. I was looking at the Monitor 02 too, but it seems that it has a lot of driver problems. I am afraid that I can't get it work properly especially I am running foobar2000. The Aune Mk2 is nice too and smaller in size, but the components it uses are not as good as the Zero (correct me if im wrong). And for an additional $10 or so, I'd go with the Zero.

Also, I don't plan to invest in a standalone amp or dac in the near future. How do you guys compare these three just by themselves?

I only have a MS1 and a MS2 which both have 32 ohms only.

Many thx in advance!
atsmile.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 13
Add the Nuforce UDac and the Head Direct EF2 to that list.

I own the Aune Mk2 and it is a fine amp/dac. I have no problems driving my 300 ohm HD650's and my low impedance Audio Technica's.

Not sure where you heard that components in the Zero were better. I was planning on purchasing one before I bought the Aune but their thread had a lot of people who had reliability issues with the Zero. Not sure if these have been addressed in the most recent release. My Aune has been rock solid.

You probably can't go wrong with any of those choices, but it all depends on the features your looking for and how much you want to spend.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure where you heard that components in the Zero were better. I was planning on purchasing one before I bought the Aune but their thread had a lot of people who had reliability issues with the Zero. Not sure if these have been addressed in the most recent release. My Aune has been rock solid.

This was what I came across as well back when I was looking for a DAC/Amp. Went with the aune my self.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add the Nuforce UDac and the Head Direct EF2 to that list.

I own the Aune Mk2 and it is a fine amp/dac. I have no problems driving my 300 ohm HD650's and my low impedance Audio Technica's.

You probably can't go wrong with any of those choices, but it all depends on the features your looking for and how much you want to spend.

Thanks. a minute ago I was just looking at one of the EF2 thread and was wondering what difference the tube is gonna make. Haha. And yes I am adding it to the list.

In regards to the components in Zero, I read about it here in one the Zero thread saying the AD1852 (Dac chip) and the op627 (amp chip) were top class. That's about it. I was not sure and that's why I put "correct me if i am wrong" there.

If there really is a reliability issue with Zero, I think I can now narrow it down to between the Aune mk2 and the EF2. Are tubes any good? for newbies?

My budget is $150-180 shipped and it must be a dac/amp combo, good for laptop, and good for future upgrade (external dac or amp). Right now I am gonna connect whatever I get to my laptop thought usb and then to the headphone. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Fracisdemarte can you give a short comparison between the build in DAC in the Aune and the γ2?

@Miyianan there is a long thread about the Aune at the rockgrotto forum, people there are rather enthusiastic about so check it out.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Come to think of it I've never actually done a side by side comparison of the two since the Aune is my work amp and the y2 my home amp.

From memory the differences were noticeable since the y2 is in another class. The y2 is much more detailed and spacious than the Aune. I'll try to do an actual side by side comparison next week and post my findings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fracisdemarte can you give a short comparison between the build in DAC in the Aune and the γ2?

@Miyianan there is a long thread about the Aune at the rockgrotto forum, people there are rather enthusiastic about so check it out.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Checking it out now. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 13
I am also looking at buying a DAC/Amp around the $150-$180 price range. I need one has optical input so that I can connect it to my WDTV Live. I believe the EF2 has only USB input but I have no clue about the others. Can anyone give me information about the inputs of some of the other DACs mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back