DAC-AH
Nov 28, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #121 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit under $100 AUD, but I bought some other stuff too and have dealt with them a bit so it may be more normally. Worth every cent!

Running the TDA1543's at 8V probably requires cooling which they don't mention. I would add heatsinks or at least drill ventilation holes.

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #122 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Running the TDA1543's at 8V probably requires cooling which they don't mention. I would add heatsinks or at least drill ventilation holes.

I'm waiting on one of these modded DAC-AH's. Can't wait till it gets here (even though I'm under instruction that it must go under the Christmas Tree until Dec 25!!!)

There are heatsinks installed. Apparently they apply thermal paste to make heat transfer more efficent too. You can see them in the following pic:

http://www.coemaudio.com.au/images/326.jpg

Paul

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #123 of 162
Quote:

i think you missed this bit:

Quote:

Modifications don't stop there, heatsinks are then installed to all 8 TDA1543 chips. To further improve thermal disipation, silver thermal compound is used between the TDA1543 chips and heatsinks.

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #126 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find the regulators are what gets damn hot under the hood

like seriously hot to touch, cannot touch it for more than a second

the regulators are actually less hot for this because it's 8v

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #128 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to be safe, I put some spacers in the lid. They are actually ball links from a Trex RC Heli, but anything will do.

Still doesn't get what I would consider hot though.

haha that's cute

I've run mine for a full day and then accidentally left it on overnight... and then run it for a full day the next day. i'm not too worried about heat

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #131 of 162
Quote:

stevenkelby

Can you take the Udial clipping test and tell us if their modifications corrected the clipping problem ?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...showtopic=9772

I took the output resistance down to 172 ohm and adjusted vref to the quitest I could get the clipping but I still hear some. I am curious if the 8V mod eliminates the clipping all together.

Mine fails udial, but I have no faith in the test. A number of cd sources etc have failed it also. The reality is that my dac-ah doesn't clip on music ever. I'm not sure that udial actually works as it's supposed to

Also, udial is dangerous for speakers. I think it's just a bad idea so I'm waiting for another clipping test

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #132 of 162
I will try it, but not today. Lent my amp and cans to a friend to try.

Maybe tomorrow.

Sorry!

Quote:

stevenkelby

Can you take the Udial clipping test and tell us if their modifications corrected the clipping problem ?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...showtopic=9772

I took the output resistance down to 172 ohm and adjusted vref to the quitest I could get the clipping but I still hear some. I am curious if the 8V mod eliminates the clipping all together.

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #133 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does the clipping sound like to you ?

A modulating lazer. The test is real and if you hear the lazer you do have clipping when playing music at full 16 bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back