DAC-AH
Aug 9, 2006 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 162

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
This is my third DAC in 2 months. I prefer this over the Zhalou and DAC in the Box. Those two were just too bright for me. This DAC-AH has a great organic analog sound. It reminds me of when I used to listen to vinyl.

When I first hooked it up I still had Foobar outputing 24/96 and I was surprised that this DAC still worked with that output. However when I turned the upsampling off and used ASIO4ALL it did sound much better. The other thing I like about this DAC is the size, it fits right under my Millett Hybrid.

I like the sound of the NOS enought that I am considering upgrading to a Storm D02A. The DAC-AH is missing reclocking, I do think I hear some slight jitter and am sure my AV-710 soundcard is not the most jitter free transport.
If you have a solid transport, the DAC-AH would be the perfect NOS-DAC.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 162
I also have the AV710 and a Lite Dac-Ah and love the sound. It is very detailed and punchy. I got the AV710 because all I "thought" I needed was an optical out to feed the Dac-Ah.

How did you installed the AV710? I simply put it in and then when I powered the computer back up it asked me if I wanted to search for drivers in the internet. I said yes and it did so.

I have not messed with anything else, did you have to set up anything in windows? Oh, I am use XT. Thanks.

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 162
I think the stock Dac Ah sounds very good. A lot of people have modded it and say it sounds even better, better op-amps, input capacitors etc. However some people have said it sounds rubbish ?

Aug 10, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 162
Have anyone compared these DAC's to the new Derek Sheks (Sigtone) NOS DAC? I don't know why, but I keep looking at the Shek unit due to the few comments I read about it. Haven't heard it though.

Thanks,

Jose.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Garcia
Have anyone compared these DAC's to the new Derek Sheks (Sigtone) NOS DAC? I don't know why, but I keep looking at the Shek unit due to the few comments I read about it. Haven't heard it though.

Thanks,

Jose.

I looked at the pictures of the Derek DAC, there isn't much to it, Also there is some opinion that asynchronous reclocking with NOS-DAC's introduces more jitter than without it.

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 162
The stock DAC AH, when listening to a well recorded CD sounds, well incredible for the money. It lets transients, sparkle and dynamics come through without constriction.

Here is why some say that it is horrible: On poorly recorded CDs, it is unforgiving and brutal. You will notice everything wrong on the orginal AAD or the poor sampling on a DDD.

Still sounds better than most of the Stereophile class C CD players.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 162
If you want to keep the wonderful natural NOS sound of Dac AH but increase detail resolution and 3D imaging substantially consider the RAM mods:
RAM

This does raise cost quite a bit at $450, but the sound improvement is impressive, uses very high quality parts. I have RAM mods on my unit which was originally an Audio Mirror Dac......don't plan on selling mine anytime soon.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
This is my third DAC in 2 months. I prefer this over the Zhalou and DAC in the Box. Those two were just too bright for me. This DAC-AH has a great organic analog sound. It reminds me of when I used to listen to vinyl.

You hit that right on the nose. Enjoy this DAC - i know i do!

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
If you want to keep the wonderful natural NOS sound of Dac AH but increase detail resolution and 3D imaging substantially consider the RAM mods:
RAM

Stupid question: NOS = non-oversampling?

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
Stupid question: NOS = non-oversampling?

Yes that is correct........as mentioned in this thread stock Dac AH has very relaxed natural sound which is one benefit of NOS. I would still recommend modding for additional improvements in sound since many stock parts are not of highest quality, I used RAM since I am not a DIY electronics guy.

Even with no mods for under $200 you have a nice sweet sounding Dac especially for those who dread a typical "digital" sounding Dac.

BTW if we were talking about tubes for tube gear NOS means something else, new old stock.

Aug 13, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #15 of 162
What was that website again, where you can get the DAC-AH for under $150 in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back