DAC-AH
Dec 6, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #137 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need either an optical output, or, less common, RCA outs.

The Lite dac has both options.

I don't know if your card has an optical out but it probably would.

Just for clarity, the "RCA outs" is a coax connection, which are typically terminated by a single RCA (BNC is what it *should* be, but it's *usually* an RCA)

It is NOT 2 RCAs like interconnects are (one red and black/white), which carry analogue signal (one channel per RCA). It's just a single RCA plug that carries a digital signal

To connect to ur PC you either need a soundcard with digital out (optical or coax), or use a usb -> spdif converter ($50ish)

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #139 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry if this is entry-level--but how does the DAC-AH connect to a PC? I have an X-Fi Extreme soundcard currently--but it doesn't look like the DAC-AH has USB inputs.

Use something like the cables here and select I/O digital out on in mode manager. Oh yeah, set the card to audio creation mode and select Bit-Perfect output and sampling rate to 44.1
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/R...dif.html#1505f

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #140 of 162
Sorry if this is threadcrapping, but I'm trying to make a purchase decision. For about the same amount of money, I could either buy the dac ah or the Sony scd-ce595. Which would sound better? I already have an extra transport laying around, which removes that cost from the equation. I'm looking at pure redbook sound quality.

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #141 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this is threadcrapping, but I'm trying to make a purchase decision. For about the same amount of money, I could either buy the dac ah or the Sony scd-ce595. Which would sound better? I already have an extra transport laying around, which removes that cost from the equation. I'm looking at pure redbook sound quality.

I would go for the DAC, it might offer a smoother, but more detailed sound...all a guess on my part.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #143 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by erotisches /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's DAC-AH compared with DAC-AM?

I have the same question...

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #144 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting on one of these modded DAC-AH's. Can't wait till it gets here (even though I'm under instruction that it must go under the Christmas Tree until Dec 25!!!)

There are heatsinks installed. Apparently they apply thermal paste to make heat transfer more efficent too. You can see them in the following pic:

http://www.coemaudio.com.au/images/326.jpg

Paul

Hey paul

I remember feeling so bad that you had to sit patiently while your new DAC sat under your tree, teasing you

So how did it go? Christmas has come and gone; did you like you new present?

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #145 of 162
Hehe.

I do indeed like it!!

I have been meaning to write a review on here but have been working nightshifts since Christmas and busy with other things. I'm on holidays in a couple of weeks so hopefully will write something up then.

In the meantime you can read my initial thoughts on the COEM website:

http://www.coemaudio.com.au/products.php?product_id=101

Quote:

G’day John,

I don’t know if you remember but you guys sold me a DAC-AH (CAA-Mod) in November. It had sat under the Christmas tree until a couple of days ago but now that it is fully burned in I thought I’d send you an email to let you know what I thought…

My Summary: Wow

Since this is my first ‘high-end’ DAC I don’t really have much to compare it to, but this thing rocks. My previous DAC was the internal one inside my SqueezeBox (which apparently is no slouch!) and my computer audio.

When buying the DAC I was expecting some subtle changes to the way my music sounded… I couldn’t have been more wrong. Everything about the DAC-AH sounds better than my SqueezeBox DAC.

I have the DAC hooked up to the COAX out on the SqueezeBox and am feeding it into a SuperMacroIII headphone amp which then drives my ‘Darth Beyer’ modded Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones.

Out of the SqueezeBox I often felt that the bass was a little loose and flabby. The DAC-AH is VERY tight in the bass department and hits hard. Exactly what I was looking for. There is no sense of muddiness or bloat to be found anywhere! Also with the Squeezebox I found that the bass could sometimes overpower the midrange. With the DAC-AH the bass seems to be on a somewhat different ‘layer’ to the mids which really lets everything be heard with great detail and clarity.

The midrange on the DAC-AH is great as well. Vocals are really well presented and forward but they’re not so ‘in-your-face’ that they take over the music. All of the instruments feel very natural with no hint of grain. Also the detail level is much higher than on my SqueezeBox.

Along with the tighter bass, the other thing that really struck me with the DAC-AH over my Squeezebox was the clarity of the high-end. I never had a problem with the Squeezebox until I heard the DAC-AH… everything is a lot more defined now and less muddy. I can hear cymbal hits and other details that I’ve never heard before. Fantastic.

Soundstage and space is heaps better than the Squeezebox as well. Everything has its own space and it’s very easy to tell where instruments/singers are on the stage.

So overall I couldn’t be more happy with this little gem. I’m sure that there are better products out there that cost 100x the price of the DAC-AH but for my setup and my ears I am in audio heaven.

Now all that is left to do is get myself an upgraded COAX cable and I’m all set.

Thanks very much guys

Have a great New Year

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey paul

I remember feeling so bad that you had to sit patiently while your new DAC sat under your tree, teasing you

So how did it go? Christmas has come and gone; did you like you new present?

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #146 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe.

I do indeed like it!!

I have been meaning to write a review on here but have been working nightshifts since Christmas and busy with other things. I'm on holidays in a couple of weeks so hopefully will write something up then.

In the meantime you can read my initial thoughts on the COEM website:

http://www.coemaudio.com.au/products.php?product_id=101

Paul

Great to hear you like it! Would suck to have that huge wait and then an anticlimax
tongue.gif

I look forward to seeing your full review, but I know how taxing it can be to write one

Feb 12, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #148 of 162
I received my modded Lite DAC AH from Pacific Valve today. I hadn't read about the circuit error/clipping problem until after I had ordered it, but so far I have not heard any clipping/distortion during complex passages whatsoever. I didn't ask Pacific Valve whether the voltage was 6 or 8 volts, but maybe the problem has been addressed. It sounds great so far, not sure I want to do any modding. I have soldering experience but I just don't like messing with stuff I paid good money for.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #149 of 162
Hey, I'm getting a DAC-AH now, after my AudioNote DAC went pair-shaped (see other thread if interested). Anyway, I'm confident that NOS and multibit conversion are key to the sound I want (the Storm D02 had it, and I loved that thing while it worked) I've read some great stuff about Tube Research Labs (TRL) mods on this (admitted simple / entry-level) DAC, and I'm confident they can bring it up to, or very near to, the sound I'm after.

Apparently they mod the power supply circuitry and the clocking. They make the outputs passive, upgrade the plugs and stuff. A new thing Paul@TRL told me about was a battery power mod they will soon finish, so I'm giving that a go as well. Interestingly, they don't usually play with the voltage supply for the TDA chips, leaving them at 6V, instead of upping them to 8V or so as everyone else believes is better. I hate telling someone how to do their job, but I've asked them to do that, and linked them to pages which demonstrate why it is supposed to be better.

The stock DAC-AH will ship in 1-2 days. I'll let you guys now what happens.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #150 of 162
I'm new to this forum... so hello all.

I purchased the Lite AH CAA Mod DAC from COEM audio last month. This DAC has a very analogue like sound and it has been sounding better and better as it gets burned in. Apparently 100hrs is what is needed for the NOS Paper in Oil Caps to give their best. Fo the money the COEM modded version of this DAC is hard to beat in my opinion. I also have a Moodlab DICE DAC which is actually more detailed (although the differences are getting smaller as the Lite gets more use) but the Lite has a bigger and fuller sound. I am also looking to order the latest Scott Nixon Tube DAC with PSU and the Little Dot II ++ Headphone amp.
icon10.gif

Current Setup = ASUS Notebook => Foobar => ASIO => USB /S/PIDF Converter => Lite AH CAA Mod & MoodLab DICE DACs =>Original Master Headphone Amp => Alessandro MS Pro Headphones.
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back