Da Vinci Code Movie: MAJOR RANT
May 21, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #32 of 67
Well I found the movie to be quite good, although it had a measured pacing that is quite absent in the blockbuster type genre.

The best part was getting to see Audrey Tautou, who was so lovely
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J
Yeah but the book was at least a "fun" read, and even if his reasurch was flawed, the story still made sence how it all tied together. The movie seemed to REALLY rush through the story.

I have to disagree about the book ....

Spoilers below .....

Dying grandpa's frantic to leave clues behind lest he carry the secret to his grave, yet we learn in the end that grandma and a brother still live. They knew everything but the exact location of the grail. Surely the grandfather realized that once his death became known his wife would find a way to get in touch with her granddaughter and provide the essential 411.

Andy

May 21, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
Dying grandpa's frantic to leave clues behind lest he carry the secret to his grave, yet we learn in the end that grandma and a brother still live. They knew everything but the exact location of the grail. Surely the grandfather realized that once his death became known his wife would find a way to get in touch with her granddaughter and provide the essential 411.
-Andy

yeah, the thing you have to understand about the book is that its plot and characters only exist in order to provide a scafolfd for brown's conspiracy theory. really, take the psudo-history and conspirazing out and all you have left is a poorly written pulp-thriller.

May 21, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #35 of 67
Wow, an 18% on rotten tomatoes is pretty harsh. Granted after I watched the film I thought the movie was bad, but I didn't think it would be as harshly criticized as an 18%. I figured most people would consider the movie average, but certainly not terrible. I've never read the book so I figured it was just a bad adaptation of the book, but it sounds like the book isn't all that great either.

May 21, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #36 of 67
My wife and I went to the Bridge on Friday, but the Da Vinci Code was sold out. Then today, we went to the Arc Light and all the earlier showings were sold out. Finally, we got tickets at the Century City AMC at around 4PM for the 10:15PM showing. The theater was packed and they had about three or four screens showing the movie at the same time. I haven't read the book, but I didn't think the movie was neither that bad nor that good. It was a just an average movie and probably something you could watch on DVD without missing that much.

I think this movie is going make a lot of money this weekend--even though, it isn't all that.

May 21, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #37 of 67
Got a chance to see it last night and thought it wasn't that bad. No I haven't read the book so at times it was a little confusing. It seems that the overall reviews by most critics is that the movie left out and change quite a bit from the book.

May 21, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #38 of 67
I didn't read the book but I saw the movie and from a standalone standpoint it was pretty good.

May 21, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyamaiata
The whole message (which I think many people will never understand) he tries to give is really beautiful.

Well said. Sadly, you are right, that many will not understand the message. I enjoyed the movie specifically because it showed many people the possibilities...

May 21, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
Starship Troopers was the worst book --> movie ever.

Agreed. They didn't even keep the whole "on the bounce" concept.
Or the whole "taking a planet with 50 guys" thing.

May 21, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #41 of 67
i didn't read the book but my wife did...i thought the movie was okay she didn't like it. it was what it was...nothing special, but not awful...i can understand being disappointed if you've read the book.

harry potter and the GOF was a pretty bad adaptation of the book, imo...but that book is huge and i understand how they needed to change some of the things they did...but i left that movie feeling sorry for those who had not read the book, because it was confusing...especially when dumbledore says, "priori incantatum..." without ever explaining what that was. similarly, i had a lot of questions for my wife after seeing DVC last night..."why did...why was...who were...why didn't they...???"

May 22, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #42 of 67
My wife and I saw the movie this morning, although we didn't read the book. We both agreed that it was one of the best movies that we ever saw. When it ended the audience sat in stunned silence. All that we heard were wispers as they filed out. It's a powerful movie, very well acted, and having a complex tale. IMHO this movie is on par with the Godfather series. I think that the reviewers' comments, uniformly panning the movie, are an orchestrated action to dissuade people from viewing it.

May 22, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #43 of 67
I haven't seen the movie yet and probably won't. I read the book *after* watching "National Treasure" with Nicolas Cage. I realize Da Vinci Code (the book) was published before National Treasure was made, but the story's almost identical (change setting to US, change the clue items to famous US historical things). I thought N.T. was all right.

This made reading DVC pretty boring, so I won't bother with the movie. That plus Tom Hanks is not an actor whose work I routinely enjoy. Thanks for the warning about it, everyone.

May 22, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #44 of 67
IMO - the movie was ok. Not as good as the book. Of course, this assumes that you would consider the book to be "good" to begin with.

I don't think Dan Brown is a terrible author. Yes, certain logic in his plot doesn't make sense, but overall I think the focus on his story is on the conspiracy theory and the use of various myths, legends and historical incidents to create something entertaining to ponder about.

My 2-cents:

Ian McClellan - As always, Ian is an excellent actor. I think he pulled off a really good performance as Teabing.

Tom Hanks - His performance in this movie leaves a lot to be desired. Which is strange, considering the fact that Hanks is really a superb actor who has an ability to cast many character types convincingly.

The Council of Nicea - Ha... ha... I admit that the scene depicting all those bishops acting like hooligans at tha football match is pretty funny. Of course, there are parliaments that behave like that today. I like that part best.
evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Kubrick's movies, The Godfather, Fight Club also is a pretty close call.

Fight Club book was WAY better than the movie. The mood, the confusion, it all permeated the scenes in the book; less so in the movie.

Plus the ending of the movie ruined it. That was the clencher that made it certainly not as good as the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back