Da Vinci Code Movie: MAJOR RANT
May 20, 2006 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

B-side J

100+ Head-Fier
Any one eles see this yet? Man what a let down! If you didn't read the book then it might have been pretty good, but if you have then what a stinker! Total dissapointment. They changed SOOO many key details, left stuff out and added stuff that made no sence. I can see cutting things to make it short enough but they changed to much. I wont get into detail for those who want to see it still, but man I say wait for the DVD.

WORST BOOK TO MOVIE EVER!

What did every one eles thinK?

May 20, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 67
I saw it last night as well, and was quite surprised how much stuff they either left out or just changed. I'm not going to say it was a terrible movie though, since I only saw it once.

May 20, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist
The movie was just as horribly mediocre as the book.

Yeah but the book was at least a "fun" read, and even if his reasurch was flawed, the story still made sence how it all tied together. The movie seemed to REALLY rush through the story.

May 20, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J

WORST BOOK TO MOVIE EVER!

No, that would have to go to Congo.

DaVinci Code was a fun read, although I preferred Brown's Deception Point. I'll wait for the DVD... but I always do.

May 20, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J
...and even if his reasurch was flawed, the story still made sence how it all tied together.

Well he only presents some things as facts in the beginning, the rest is basically fiction. I still somehow want to see the movie, and I really wonder why there were catcalls and hisses at the Cannes Film Festival.

May 20, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Well he only presents some things as facts in the beginning,

And from what I understand many of these "facts" - according to renowned scholars are simply not er facts as such as it were...

May 20, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 67
Hmm, well I’m not going to say it was straight up terrible, just totally average. The script was pretty darn bad, leaving behind the salient parts of the book and fixing none of its flaws. The acting was mixed, Tom Hanks was stiff as a board, but I think that was more Ron Howard’s fault. Ian McClellan gave an outstanding performance as Teabing and really helped pull the film out of its first hour crawl. What Howard really needed to do was throw out the book and just use its inspiration. As it is, it follows the plot too closely, a plot that was too convoluted to ever work on the big screen. the movie needed an Indiana Jones character, the books’s Robert was a flat mouthpiece for dan brown’s conspiracy theories, hence why tom hanks was so lifeless...if they'd changed him into a globe trotting adventurer it'd have gone over much better.
When it comes right down to it, Code was boring and confusing. If you've read the book then you’ll be checking your watch every 5 mins(I was), if you haven’t read the book you’ll be totally lost.

Save your money for blockbuster kids

May 20, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I still somehow want to see the movie, and I really wonder why there were catcalls and hisses at the Cannes Film Festival.

at the theater i saw it at there were alot of laughs and gasps. the film had a few good one liners and Silas had a tendancy of attacking people out of nowhere (cuz he was like a ghost, right?
rolleyes.gif
)
when we left the theater and i asked my friend what he thought. he said that "any movie with that much audience reaction should be considered good"

i almost hit him.

May 20, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 67
I have not seen the movie, but did read the book. There seem to be very few movies in general that people are happy with after having read the book. The movie is almost always different and people have expectations that it will be just like the book or better. Hollywood always decides to change the story. This is really nothing new. How many movies can you name that were better than the book?

The reviews that I saw of this movie have mostly been that it is not a bad movie, but not a great movie and that it had potential to be a lot better.

May 20, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
How many movies can you name that were better than the book?

Kubrick's movies, The Godfather, Fight Club also is a pretty close call.

May 20, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

I have not seen the movie, but did read the book. There seem to be very few movies in general that people are happy with after having read the book. The movie is almost always different and people have expectations that it will be just like the book or better. Hollywood always decides to change the story. This is really nothing new. How many movies can you name that were better than the book?

The reviews that I saw of this movie have mostly been that it is not a bad movie, but not a great movie and that it had potential to be a lot better.

Ditto. I read the book and I don't think the movie was that bad; even thought they leave out a lot of details, the ending was really good. The message Robert expresses when talking with Sophie is really a beautiful thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back