D2000 - Who sells them?
Jul 30, 2010 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Millsie

New Head-Fier
Cheaply that is.

I was almost ready to go to buy Denon AH-D2000's from Amazon for 220USD which suited to my budget perfectly. It would have costed $300ish for the headphones and $50 for the postage(I live in New Zealand) So I had to use a 3rd party shipper.

But then they shot the price back up to its original 350USD(482NZD) I'd pretty much have to sell my left nut to pay for that price! (Its slowly coming down though =] )

So I was curious do you guys know of any other places that sell them for cheap?

=]]]]]]

Thanks so much!!

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 10
check out this link. its google product price check thing. link

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 10
funny, i just sold a pair today for an incredibly low price with the jmoney leather pads and an extended 2 year warranty.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 10
The price for Denon headphones fluctuates.  With the D2000 going from the $210 (USD) range up to list price bouncing up and down between those two extremes about every 6 months or so.  I don't know how Denon handles their retail channel.  Seems there must be a gray market going on that allows shops to get gray market headphones and undercut the authorized dealers.  When the gray market drys up the price goes back up to near list price.  When the gray market has the goods the price goes down to near $200 USD.  Up and down.  Up and down.

That can't be a good situation for the authorized dealers.  People start to expect them for $200 and there's probably not enough profit at that price to keep a real full service dealer in business.  Denon is also to blame.  They've got the headphones priced a little too high to begin with.  With the D5000 and D7000 carrying too much of a premium above that.  I think $275 or so would be a more realistic MSRP for the D2000 and let the dealers discount a little from that.

If Denon had a model that didn't have the midrange suckout they'd be better able to justify their higher MSRP prices.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 10
Sorry for the slow reply
confused_face.gif

Quote:
check out this link. its google product price check thing. link

Wow!!! That's awesome I never even knew google could do that!
Thanks!

It's weird though, one seller has it for 196 but they're out of stock... Must be what Hams talking about.

Quote:
The price for Denon headphones fluctuates.  With the D2000 going from the $210 (USD) range up to list price bouncing up and down between those two extremes about every 6 months or so.  I don't know how Denon handles their retail channel.  Seems there must be a gray market going on that allows shops to get gray market headphones and undercut the authorized dealers.  When the gray market drys up the price goes back up to near list price.  When the gray market has the goods the price goes down to near $200 USD.  Up and down.  Up and down.

That can't be a good situation for the authorized dealers.  People start to expect them for $200 and there's probably not enough profit at that price to keep a real full service dealer in business.  Denon is also to blame.  They've got the headphones priced a little too high to begin with.  With the D5000 and D7000 carrying too much of a premium above that.  I think $275 or so would be a more realistic MSRP for the D2000 and let the dealers discount a little from that.

If Denon had a model that didn't have the midrange suckout they'd be better able to justify their higher MSRP prices.

Ah! I never knew about that, that's probably why it fluctuates so much!

Midrange suckout, what does that mean?

Now I've found quite a few sellers for the D2000's now I just have to find someone to ship them! It's a bugger that it costs so much to ship things internationally... Its going to cost 50-110USD just to ship them to New Zealand! That's extreme!

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Midrange suckout, what does that mean?

The Denons have a =243]dip in the frequency response between around 1500 Hz and 3500 Hz.  That causes a suckout of those frequencies.  Noticeable in some music more than others.  It can make, for example, a guitar sound or vocal effect sound like it has been sucked out from the mix.  That's why I call it a suckout.  It does depend on the music.  With some music it is not very noticeable at all.

It's completely fixable using a parametric EQ.  If you use Foobar or J River or WinAmp or a similar media player that can use a parametric EQ plugin you can fix it and have yourself a fantastic sounding headphone.  I have picture of the EQ curve I like in my sig and profile.

A headphone that gets the midrange wrong is hard to recommend.  The midrange is where the music lives.  Fortunately the Denon is fixable with EQ and if you're willing and able to EQ it becomes a fantastic headphone. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
i live in New Zealand 2... got my D2000 like 2 years ago from Eastern Hifi for NZD300

That's a bloody good price!!! But probably because of that this happened.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Eastern-HiFi-goes-into-receivership/tabid/421/articleID/137238/Default.aspx

Quite unfortunate really, New Zealand really needs someone to cheaply supply headphones in general. I asked around in some shops down here and they said they could get them in for around $750!!!

Actually I think Easter HiFi is now called.. Eastern HIFI Tauranga? Maybe? I can't seem t find a website for them just a weird facebook fan page.

Quote:
The Denons have a dip in the frequency response between around 1500 Hz and 3500 Hz.  That causes a suckout of those frequencies.  Noticeable in some music more than others.  It can make, for example, a guitar sound or vocal effect sound like it has been sucked out from the mix.  That's why I call it a suckout.  It does depend on the music.  With some music it is not very noticeable at all.

It's completely fixable using a parametric EQ.  If you use Foobar or J River or WinAmp or a similar media player that can use a parametric EQ plugin you can fix it and have yourself a fantastic sounding headphone.  I have picture of the EQ curve I like in my sig and profile.

A headphone that gets the midrange wrong is hard to recommend.  The midrange is where the music lives.  Fortunately the Denon is fixable with EQ and if you're willing and able to EQ it becomes a fantastic headphone. 

Ahh I see, that's cool... I'll have to look into it if I ever get around to getting the money for this HP.

Quote:

I'm considering a pair also. At $350, it makes more sense to spend another 30 bucks and get them
from Lawton Audio with the markl mod's. FWIW

$350 US is so much!(Probably going to cost that much anyways though - With shipping and whatnot) That's just under $500NZD... Man I wish I lived over the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back