D2000 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 - 990
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

trothad2

New Head-Fier
OK so i just got myself a pair of the D2000 and i was mainly looking at them for a can with more bass coming from the hd598.  And well they do have A LOT more bass but over all its more of a "fun" bass than what i was really looking for. As well as the mids are really recessed.  I have burned them in for approx 50 hours and still do not truly like them.  So i decided to look around and found the DT880 and 990 and was wondering how they compared to the denon.  I'm currently looking at the 600ohm versions of the Beyerdynamic's and do have a Schiit Asgard amp to power them. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 11
I think the DT990s sound a lot like the D2000s, but open.  They both can sound rather cold at times because of a mid recession and prominent treble.  The DT990s have a bloated sounding mid-bass, but overall it's more tight than the Denons, it doesn't extend as deep with as much authority, though.  HE-400 would be your closest bet for keeping a good bit of the D2000 bass,but having everything about the sound signature being high quality.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 11
OK thanks for the quick response.  Would my Asgard be able to drive the HE-400? And with those they will give me the bass I'm looking for with the clarity and separation I'm use to with the hd598's

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 11
Can't say for sure if it is or not.  I've read other people's opinions and comparisons of some of the Sennheisers with the 880, and most seem to say it has a deeper sounding bass.  I couldn't say for sure, though.  Also of note is that head-fi loves hyperbole.  As for 595 vs 598, there isn't much difference from my short listens of them.  If I listened to the two for very long periods of time, I'm sure I could tell you some very subtle differences.  

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
OK so i just got myself a pair of the D2000 and i was mainly looking at them for a can with more bass coming from the hd598.  And well they do have A LOT more bass but over all its more of a "fun" bass than what i was really looking for. As well as the mids are really recessed.  I have burned them in for approx 50 hours and still do not truly like them.  So i decided to look around and found the DT880 and 990 and was wondering how they compared to the denon.  I'm currently looking at the 600ohm versions of the Beyerdynamic's and do have a Schiit Asgard amp to power them. 

What are you using as a DAC and source(s)?

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Yeah, you had about the same impression of the D2000 that I had of them. They're a great pair of headphones but after coming from the DT880 to the D2000, it felt like I lost more then I gained. That said, I've never really head anyone call the DT880s a "fun" pair of cans. Their extremely detailed, almost [size=11.0pt]clinically so, and are rather bass light compared to most full cans, but that's why I loved them. They have a huge soundstage that you can get lost in imo, but are "monsters" to amp the 600 ohm versions. [/size]The Schiit Asgard should do just fine with them since a good number of people here have used it with them. The dt990 might be a better choice if you want something with a little more punch but I can't say for sure as I've never listened to them.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
320kbps > mp3 / flac - iTunes - Logitech USB DAC "soon to be bifrost" - Asgard - D2000 / HD598

I'm going to guess with a better DAC, the AH-D2000/HD598 will sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back