D2000 or Ultrasone 750 for classical?
Sep 15, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Proline 750 was very well burned in, in fact I was a second owner, but from memory the bass was nothing spectacular, not quality, nor quantity wise. On the other hand the first thing that shocked me when I put D2000 on first time was THE bass and headstage.
What completely turned me away from Ultrasones were offensively bright, metallic highs and recessed midrange.
I agree that in stock form Denon lacks some refinement, but recabled it improves significantly, especially in details and bass area. But even stock it's more pleasant and better well rounded than Proline. But I can say the same about K271S.

I agree with that completely. That's how it sounded to my ears as well, but I have the D5000, not the D2000.

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya I still don't see your impressions of Denon bass vs Proline bass possible, something is up in your system or how you characterize bass. I know we all have different ears, but it is just that Denon bass is nothing like that. And you also fail to answer my PM in which I ask you a few questions. Seriously, what you say makes no sense.

Stas, you have PM.
And for what it's worth, aligned frequency graphs of PL750 and D5000, courtesy of He&Bi
Green is PL750, red - Denon D5000
ahd5000pl750vt8.jpg

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #34 of 47
My ears agree with the recession in the mids, although it does not come out sounding as extreme. How I perceive the bass though seems to be vastly different...you got a pm with a small discussion of genetics at play.

What we seem to be left with in this thread is that there are 2 groups. Those that hear Proline for what it is designed to sound like, others that hear Denons for what they are designed to sound like.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #35 of 47
Just wondering, does anyone know if the PL 2500 have better mids than the PL 750? I read quite a few times that a result of a can being closed are recessed mids(I could be wrong). Thank you
600smile.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, does anyone know if the PL 2500 have better mids than the PL 750? I read quite a few times that a result of a can being closed are recessed mids(I could be wrong). Thank you
600smile.gif

Actually 750 has more forward, stronger mids than 2500. 2500 is kinda strange in its delivery, but it has slightly weaker bass and a mid recession. It offers a larger soundstage though.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #37 of 47
Thank you for your reply Malos
tongue.gif

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions. How severe are the recessed mids on the PL 2500. Is it anything comparable to the dt770s? Or is it better( I would hope it's better, since the 2500 costs a lot more hehe). Also, have you ever heard the k701 or the dt880? If so, how would you rate, from 1 to 10, the PL 2500's soundstage size compared to those two cans? From everything I've read so far, I've gathered that the PL 2500/750s' soundstages aren't terribly big, but everyone hears things differently, so I'm still wondering about it.

Thank you for your help.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #38 of 47
Mids recession on DT770 is alot worse than Proline 2500. A mildly warm amp with the PL2500 might be a good idea still though.

I have not heard DT880, I have K701. Soundstage on K701 to me sounds very large but not very well integrated, which is only consistent with some of the users, so my guess is that it depends on the system/ears. Proline 2500 has a slightly smaller but far more accurate soundstage, but that is once again not consistent with everyone's impressions. If you take your time and get used to S-Logic, you should be definitely satisified with the soundstaging abilities though.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #39 of 47
tongue.gif

"Mids recession on DT770 is alot worse than Proline 2500. A mildly warm amp with the PL2500 might be a good idea still though."

Well that's great news, because not only could I live with the dt770's recessed mids, but I also have what some consider to be a warm amp(Corda Headfive).

"Proline 2500 has a slightly smaller but far more accurate soundstage, but that is once again not consistent with everyone's impressions. If you take your time and get used to S-Logic, you should be definitely satisified with the soundstaging abilities though."

That's also great news, because I luvvvv big soundstages. But I found the DT880's soundstage to be more pleasing than the k701's, because I too thought the k701's soundstage didn't sound very natural.

Thank you for your help, have a great day!

*edit* Oh Malos, I'm enjoying your PL 2500/ED. 9 review. It's very informative, thanks.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

*edit* Oh Malos, I'm enjoying your PL 2500/ED. 9 review. It's very informative, thanks.

Thanks for your kind words. I need to type the comparison I promised there, but there is not even a tiniest bit of me that desires to compare them.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #41 of 47
I think I'll be ordering the PROline 750 tomorrow.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

tongue.gif

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions. How severe are the recessed mids on the PL 2500. Is it anything comparable to the dt770s? Or is it better( I would hope it's better, since the 2500 costs a lot more hehe). Also, have you ever heard the k701 or the dt880? If so, how would you rate, from 1 to 10, the PL 2500's soundstage size compared to those two cans? From everything I've read so far, I've gathered that the PL 2500/750s' soundstages aren't terribly big, but everyone hears things differently, so I'm still wondering about it.

Thank you for your help.

adding a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to my proline 2500 brought the mid-range more forward over stock - maybe in part to the reduction of bass quantity. while the mid-range on the dt-880 is clean, clear and detailed, the can is a bit too sterile and lifeless for my tastes.

PACE

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
adding a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to my proline 2500 brought the mid-range more forward over stock - maybe in part to the reduction of bass quantity. while the mid-range on the dt-880 is clean, clear and detailed, the can is a bit too sterile and lifeless for my tastes.

PACE

Another interesting suggestion was the RAL cable that pataburd is a big proponent of, the RAL seems to have similar effects.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My RAL cable arrives today for my Ultrasone 2500. I will post some impressions.

please do. the differences were apparent immediately when i twisted in the the Silver D, but continued to improve over a week.

PACE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back