D2000 or Ultrasone 750 for classical?
Sep 14, 2007 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
It seems like I can acquire one of the two for around the same price.

Which one would be better for classical? I'd like a sound signature that's different from my Sennheiser HD650, if possible. I want to try out new things.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 47
have you looked into akg? they make some of the best phones with very open and spacious sound, perfect for classical. The 501s are nearly as good as the highly lauded 601s and for a fraction of the price. I'm very happy with my K501s, be sure to get good amplification however.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 47
Oh, sorry, needs to be closed, because I need isolation.

How do those two compare in isolation?

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 47
if the Denon D2000's are anything like the Denon D1000's (i have) then you might find them a bit lean.

The Ultrasone 750's are fine, but you might want a bit more ...... forwardness in the midrange. but the 750's are warm and finely detailed.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 47
This depends on your classical tastes, the D2000's have a somewhat narrow headstage and they don't isolate well. Also, some have described the D2000/5000 as an improved HD650.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 47
Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'm going to go with the Ultrasone.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the Denon D2000's are anything like the Denon D1000's (i have) then you might find them a bit lean.

The Ultrasone 750's are fine, but you might want a bit more ...... forwardness in the midrange. but the 750's are warm and finely detailed.

Not sure about D1000 but D2000 bass is definitely on the heavy side, "lean" is definitely not in D2000's vocabulary.
basshead.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This depends on your classical tastes, the D2000's have a somewhat narrow headstage and they don't isolate well. Also, some have described the D2000/5000 as an improved HD650.

It is narrow comparing to open phones like HD650, but I am not aware of any closed, except W5000, that has bigger than D2000 headstage.
As I've had both, PL750 and D2000, my assessment of the two would be:
Bass: D2000
Headstage: D2000
Midrange: D2000
Highs: D2000 (PL750 was excessively bright)
Details: PL750; D2000 gets there after recabling
Isolation: PL750
Comfort: D2000
biggrin.gif

Overall: D2000

Hope that helps.
Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure about D1000 but D2000 bass is definitely on the heavy side, "lean" is definitely not in D2000's vocabulary.
basshead.gif

It is narrow comparing to open phones like HD650, but I am not aware of any closed, except W5000, that has bigger than D2000 headstage.
As I've had both, PL750 and D2000, my assessment of the two would be:
Bass: D2000
Headstage: D2000
Midrange: D2000
Highs: D2000 (PL750 was excessively bright)
Details: PL750; D2000 gets there after recabling
Isolation: PL750
Comfort: D2000
biggrin.gif

Overall: D2000

Hope that helps.
Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gaw, dang it... it seems like isolation is the only thing PL750 wins, and that's what I need...

How big of a difference is it? Need it to block out Guitar Hero clicking noise.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 47
Interesting because if I started doing assessment of Proline vs Denon, and in that case my comparison would be D5000:

Treble on D5000 is more rounded, but there is a coloration in the upper mids.
Midrange is D5000 absolutely.
Proline has superior bass - D5000 has a boosted midbass and does not have the extension. I honestly have no idea how you can see Denon bass is superior.
Soundstage on the Proline is superior in quality, D5000 has a surround but not very integrated effect (d5000 is larger).
Comfort is D5000 absolutely, but that is just because Denons are the definition of comfort.
I also feel the PRAT on Prolines is superior.

Denons have no isolation I could speak of.

Overall Denon also needs a system for it. Out of Lisa III and Stello DA100 sound had quite a few issues, while the sworn system for it, using Woo amps + dedicated DAC would run another grand. Prolines perform just fine out of a portable or computer audio jack, and marvelously out of an E-MU 1616 which runs the buyer only $350.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Proline has superior bass - D5000 has a boosted midbass and does not have the extension. I honestly have no idea how you can see Denon bass is superior.

Ditto, but in the opposite way.
Quote:

Soundstage on the Proline is superior in quality, D5000 has a surround but not very integrated effect (d5000 is larger).

Not quite sure what "integrated" means here, it was quite claustrophobic to me. Denon's is definitely bigger and has a better defined layering and positioning. S-Logic soundstage is somewhat unconventional and apparently doesn't work for everyone.

Quote:

Overall Denon also needs a system for it.

Interesting, not like I ran any unamped, but many here swear that Denons are equally good out from portable or decent amp, in fact I saw some claims that they actually sound better unamped. I know, sounds like a blasphemy.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 47
Andrew, YGPM. We need like 3-4 people to join this discussion who have experience with both cans also. At the moment its like this:
Andrew does not like Ultrasones.
I don't like Denons.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Andrew, YGPM. We need like 3-4 people to join this discussion who have experience with both cans also. At the moment its like this:
Andrew does not like Ultrasones.
I don't like Denons.

Yes, please. That'll help a lot with my decisions, too, as well as solve the mystery of the century.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Interesting because if I started doing assessment of Proline vs Denon, and in that case my comparison would be D5000:

Treble on D5000 is more rounded, but there is a coloration in the upper mids.
Midrange is D5000 absolutely.
Comfort is D5000 absolutely, but that is just because Denons are the definition of comfort.
I also feel the PRAT on Prolines is superior.

Denons have no isolation I could speak of.

Overall Denon also needs a system for it. Out of Lisa III and Stello DA100 sound had quite a few issues, while the sworn system for it, using Woo amps + dedicated DAC would run another grand. Prolines perform just fine out of a portable or computer audio jack, and marvelously out of an E-MU 1616 which runs the buyer only $350.

I only had the Proline 2500s, and not the 750s, and spent time with the D5000s, not the D2000s, so take that in mind, but I agree with pretty much everything MaloS said in this comparison when looking at the differences. I had my issues with the Proline's treble and upper mids, but I just couldn't take to the Denons. I'm not familiar with the Prolines in any system but my own (Exemplar Denon 2900 > Extreme Platinum) and the Denons in mine as well as a few others. My impressions stayed the same. I think they're both decent headphones, but even though I ended up selling my 2500s, I'd still recommend them for classical over the Denons.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 47
Well, here's one more person for the Denon's. Even though I have the D5000, the sound quality of the D2000 is very similar, it just doesn't have wood (so it won't have as much resonance) and the cable is slightly lower quality on the D2000.

The cans are incredible. Out of all my headphones, these are the only ones I am listening to now. Just be careful handling them. They are fragile and have issues with the screw on the harness. Make sure when putting them on your head you pick them up by the harness, not by the earcups.

They do not isolate well, but that is because of how comfortable they are. They don't clamp your head like a vice grip. Also, the earpad is thicker in the rear and thinner in the front to accomodate for the shape of your head, so they are super comfortable. I would say they may isolate -8 db AT MOST, probably less.

They don't need much power to drive them, but they will reveal every nuance in your music if you have a good source and a good amp. So they are pretty equipment dependant.

I don't know how some people are saying the proline can have more bass. The proline have a 40mm driver. These have a 50mm driver. The Denons have plenty of bass... bass that you can feel and hear extend down very low.

My vote goes to the Denon if you can get away with minor isolation. They are a killer pair. And for the price of the D2000, I don't know if there is a better sounding one on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back