D2000 or Ultrasone 750 for classical?
Sep 15, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #16 of 47
Hmm...

Interesting comments so far. I've the D2000 and have owned the 750's, only sold them because of the need for funds to totally upgrade my source and amplification.

IMO, these phones are similar enough that you should really try to listen to them before buying if at all possible.

Isolation: 750's
Bass: similar amount but 750's slightly tighter. But this might vary depending on your amp.
Mids: D2000 but not by much and they aren't quite as refined as the top phones.
Highs: This totally depends on your ears, both are extended and both cans could be a bit smoother, again in reference to top cans.

After extended listening, I've no real preference between the two. But I will say that Ultrasones have a certain richness that's hard to define, and that makes them sound more real to me. Probably the S Logic at work, but not everyone hears the effect.

Bottom line is that, for me, both are excellent closed phones for the money.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other opinions?

pageman99 has an incoming Edition 9 in his profile...thats a vote for Ultrasones xD

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But IPodPJ, have you heard the Prolines?

Yes, and it feels like it's using a 40mm driver. I like the strength of a 50mm much more.
You just don't get the same impact of bass quantity. The bass quality is good on the Prolines
but not by cup of tea.

The Edition 9 are supposed to be better, so I'd love to check those out if I could.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and it feels like it's using a 40mm driver. I like the strength of a 50mm much more.

The Edition 9 are supposed to be better, so I'd love to check those out if I could.

So, question. Was the Proline burned in and all? Cause what I have heard of D5000, Denons had more midbass but that is about it. Your impressions are vastly contradictory with respect to what Prolines do for bass.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, question. Was the Proline burned in and all? Cause what I have heard of D5000, Denons had more midbass but that is about it. Your impressions are vastly contradictory with respect to what Prolines do for bass.

It probably wasn't burned in much. I just listened to a friend's a day after he got them. I listened to the 750, the closed back one. And comparing that to my closed back wooden Denon, the Denon has much more bass as I had said. I don't know what the 2500 proline sounds like, but I imagine as an open back headphone it would have even less bass, but probably a better soundstage.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It probably wasn't burned in much. I just listened to a friend's a day after he got them. I listened to the 750, the closed back one. And comparing that to my closed back wooden Denon, the Denon has much more bass as I had said. I don't know what the 2500 proline sounds like, but I imagine as an open back headphone it would have even less bass, but probably a better soundstage.

Proline without burn in is nothing like a Proline with a burn-in. We made that point very clearly already about all Ultrasones. Basically until you hear it after 250ish hours, your opinions are not really valid. Sorry, fact. None of the Denons have nowhere near as much bass as Proline 750/2500.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #23 of 47
He is a bass head and he likes the sense of extra-air the 50mm drivers are able to move I guess.

IPodPJ, you should take a look at Ultrasone HFI-550 sometime? It also has 50mm driver, and according to Dansdata it has quite a lot bass.

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

pageman99 has an incoming Edition 9 in his profile...thats a vote for Ultrasones xD

I do like the S logic. But I really couldn't recommend one over the other, between the 750 and D2000. Just depends on personal preference.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Proline without burn in is nothing like a Proline with a burn-in. We made that point very clearly already about all Ultrasones. Basically until you hear it after 250ish hours, your opinions are not really valid. Sorry, fact. None of the Denons have nowhere near as much bass as Proline 750/2500.

My Proline 750 was very well burned in, in fact I was a second owner, but from memory the bass was nothing spectacular, not quality, nor quantity wise. On the other hand the first thing that shocked me when I put D2000 on first time was THE bass and headstage.
What completely turned me away from Ultrasones were offensively bright, metallic highs and recessed midrange.
I agree that in stock form Denon lacks some refinement, but recabled it improves significantly, especially in details and bass area. But even stock it's more pleasant and better well rounded than Proline. But I can say the same about K271S.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Proline 750 was very well burned in, in fact I was a second owner, but from memory the bass was nothing spectacular, not quality, nor quantity wise. On the other hand the first thing that shocked me when I put D2000 on first time was THE bass and headstage.
What completely turned me away from Ultrasones were offensively bright, metallic highs and recessed midrange.
I agree that in stock form Denon lacks some refinement, but recabled it improves significantly, especially in details and bass area. But even stock it's more pleasant and better well rounded than Proline. But I can say the same about K271S.

Okay, I heard the K271S Zu recabled for a few days. Could you compare the PROline 750 to that, please? That would help me better than comparing it to another headphone I haven't heard of.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Interesting, not like I ran any unamped, but many here swear that Denons are equally good out from portable or decent amp, in fact I saw some claims that they actually sound better unamped. I know, sounds like a blasphemy.
rolleyes.gif

Out of curiosity just tested D2000 directly out of Zune, yes, the volume was almost maxed (17), but WOW! I wouldn't dare to say that it's better than out from DA100 and GS-1, but this sound out of the unamped DAP?
blink.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Out of curiosity just tested D2000 directly out of Zune, yes, the volume was almost maxed (17), but WOW! I wouldn't dare to say that it's better than out from DA100 and GS-1, but this sound out of the unamped DAP?
blink.gif

Any thoughts on the K271S to PROline 750 and D2000 comparison?

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I heard the K271S Zu recabled for a few days. Could you compare the PROline 750 to that, please? That would help me better than comparing it to another headphone I haven't heard of.

Briefly: PL has more bass quantity, and bigger soundstage, K271S has a better midrange, sound is more fluent, with no abrupt steps between frequencies, with velour pads is more comfortable, has nice, natural resolution without adding extra brightness to accentuate details as it's done on PL. To mine and my wife's ears, K271S was more pleasant and "musical", with liquidly smooth sound, PL was more aggressive and not as natural, with bumped up lows and highs.
My original intent of PL750 purchasing was to replace K271S, apparently that didn't work out that well; I still have K271S.

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #30 of 47
Ya I still don't see your impressions of Denon bass vs Proline bass possible, something is up in your system or how you characterize bass. I know we all have different ears, but it is just that Denon bass is nothing like that. And you also fail to answer my PM in which I ask you a few questions. Seriously, what you say makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back