Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #767 of 1,788

Quote:
No, DB2 is a very nice DAC.  It is slightly better than the build in Solo Dac. 

Agreed!

I did the fully balanced (CLAS>DB-2>PB-2>ES5 and LCD-2) verses single ended (CLAS>PB-2>ES5 and LCD-2) test and the DB-2 set up was better, both in terms of sound stage and detail retrieval. I did consider taking a drop in brick size but not for long....

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #768 of 1,788

Quote:
Agreed!

I did the fully balanced (CLAS>DB-2>PB-2>ES5 and LCD-2) verses single ended (CLAS>PB-2>ES5 and LCD-2) test and the DB-2 set up was better, both in terms of sound stage and detail retrieval. I did consider taking a drop in brick size but not for long....

Deleted.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #769 of 1,788
Running in the CLAS->DB2->SR71B setup using iBuds (yes) 24 hours non stop now. Using balanced output for the iBuds via a balanced to SE connector. Stay tuned.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #770 of 1,788
Running in the CLAS->DB2->SR71B setup using iBuds (yes) 24 hours non stop now. Using balanced output for the iBuds via a balanced to SE connector. Stay tuned.

I thought it only worked one way balanced TO SE, not SE to balanced. o.o But you do have a MIGHTY FINE rig which there, I envy you so much right now! Hopefully the DB2 will open up with burn in.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #771 of 1,788
And this arrived too. It's going to replace the iPhone 4 and become part of the rig.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #773 of 1,788
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the sound from the iPhone 4S headphone jack is a bit different from the iPhone 4 headphone jack? I am using ES5.I can't say which one is better just yet though.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #774 of 1,788
OK. I feel the iPhone 4S has a slightly wider soundstage and better positioning of instruments. The 4S also has a tad stronger bass. Its higher mid is slightly rolled off compared with the iPhone 4, but at the same time slightly more sibilant in the same song I compare with the old iPhone 4. At this very moment I prefer iPhone 4's headphone out more.  You may wonder why I am doing this given all the bricks I have - I use the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4 only when I am on the go. I already bring three phones when I am on the go (the iPhone 4S, the Samsung Galaxy S2 and Blackberry Torch) and I really don't want to bring any more brick. I hope the dock out to CLAS will not be affected but I will try to compare between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S in this regard as well. Oh and of course, I will burn in the iPhone 4S some more before coming to a solid conclusion.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #776 of 1,788
Ok I have burnt in the sick combo more and the graininess is now gone. Very much suspect it is the Silver Dragon coaxial which wasn't opened up in the first place. Will post impressions after one more week's burn in but suffice to say I am very impressed with the fully balanced combo to say the least.

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #778 of 1,788
Really, CLAS single ended into SR71-B is better than the CLAS->DB2->SR71-B.  Very interesting.

I just got a pair of double helix headphone adapters so I can use my LCD-2 cable (w/balanced SR71-B output) with my HD800's.  I'm really liking the HD800's.  Just mentioning this because it's now possible to invest in a really GOOD headphone cable and then use them on multiple headphones.  I have the universal cable from ALO with a number of adapters.

Anyway, it's interesting to me how versatile the CLAS is, and now I can test it with all of my headphones.

That's intriguing as I have a friend who makes cables who has had a patent pending on the same sort of thing for adapting cables for a little while, he mentioned it should be a full patent very soon.. Amazing how different companies think of the same thing eh! As for me I have just got my mini CLAS-LOD and 3.5mm-3.5mm connecters from my custom cable guy and could not be happier. Will post a picture soon but the little silver cables make quite a difference to my ears.

Increased treble sheen, lovely and smooth but crystalline. Noticed the bass has tightened up a little as well and the mids punch forward a little more as well. Extremly happy with the results so far and the chap who made them for me has said he notices increased breathing room and clarity once a good few hours are on them.

I tried it first with just the LOD-CLAS connector and was really surprised to hear it really does make a difference, add in the CLAS to AMP connector and the whole thing comes together.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #779 of 1,788
Things have changed since I burnt in the cables and the DB2 for more than a week now. Now I prefer the balanced combo more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back