Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #736 of 1,793

Quote:
I agree with the sound stage popint but it does take a hit on the bass and also overall sound becomes brighter. Makes me suspect that it is a problem of the cables.

that doesn't make much sense, if anything going balanced with iems tends to increase bass response, or rather it goes deeper and slams harder. thats with my rigs of course, it might be different with the ibasso. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #737 of 1,793

Quote:
After testing, I conclude that I prefer the sound of SINGLE ENDED INPUT on the SR71B, directly from the CLAS, over the CLAS->DB2->Balanced input on SR71B. The sound on the fully balanced setup is noticeably thinner and the bass is weaker, and overly bright for me. The sound of CLAS -> SR71B -> balanced out to LCD2 is just right for me. This may be due to the Moon Audio coaxial and balanced cables (silver?) used with addition of the DB2, but to avoid another derail, let's don't get into that. In general I kind of expected this as adding one more brick in the source chain would just add jitter anyways...

Really, CLAS single ended into SR71-B is better than the CLAS->DB2->SR71-B.  Very interesting.

I just got a pair of double helix headphone adapters so I can use my LCD-2 cable (w/balanced SR71-B output) with my HD800's.  I'm really liking the HD800's.  Just mentioning this because it's now possible to invest in a really GOOD headphone cable and then use them on multiple headphones.  I have the universal cable from ALO with a number of adapters.

Anyway, it's interesting to me how versatile the CLAS is, and now I can test it with all of my headphones.

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #738 of 1,793
Really, CLAS single ended into SR71-B is better than the CLAS->DB2->SR71-B.  Very interesting.

I just got a pair of double helix headphone adapters so I can use my LCD-2 cable (w/balanced SR71-B output) with my HD800's.  I'm really liking the HD800's.  Just mentioning this because it's now possible to invest in a really GOOD headphone cable and then use them on multiple headphones.  I have the universal cable from ALO with a number of adapters.

Anyway, it's interesting to me how versatile the CLAS is, and now I can test it with all of my headphones. 

Don't think it's "better" per se until we find out for sure that everyone who has the DB2 gets the same response.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting the triple threat but I figured, when am I going to get another headphone? :p But really do recommend everyone the triple threats if you guys have multiple headphones but want one very nice cable (RS Silver).

*hoping for a balanced CLAS*

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #739 of 1,793
GG:  you don't have to hope.  If I have to bet my money, it will be on a dual balance CLAS w/ Kobicon connector.  It is the only option once they have made the MKIII.  Hehehe, I challenge Ken to come here and deny it.  You don't made a balance MKIII without causing the Sole not able to drive it, you don't use one format of connector on the MKIII and use a different format of connector of the Solo.  That's my prediction and I say it here first.

Qusp:  agree with your assessment on the balance bass.

Googli, something is different with your assessment here.  You better check it out again.  

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #740 of 1,793

Quote:
dual balance CLAS w/ Kobicon connector.  It is the only option once they have made the MKIII.  Hehehe, I challenge Ken to come here and deny it.  You don't made a balance MKIII without causing the Sole not able to drive it, you don't use one format of connector on the MKIII and use a different format of connector of the Solo.

Let's hope a dual SE/Balanced CLAS comes out.

If only it had an optical in, that would be all I could ever dream ... but if not, well, good enough, so I can use only that for portable for Ed8LE single and LCD-2 balanced...

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #741 of 1,793
I suspect it is the Silver Dragon coaxial cable and the Black Dragon DB2 to SR71B cable making the sound thin. Not only bass response weakened, I heard more sibilance with the DB2 and the added cables. I will try to burn in the cables further and see how it goes. Next week I will bring my XLO (not ALO) coaxial cable and Squeezebox Touch to office and see how it goes without the CLAS and Silver Dragon. I am stuck with the Black Dragon balanced cable though. To cable/burn in skeptics:  go somewhere else.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #742 of 1,793
I suspect it is the Silver Dragon coaxial cable and the Black Dragon DB2 to SR71B cable making the sound thin. Not only bass response weakened, I heard more sibilance with the DB2 and the added cables. I will try to burn in the cables further and see how it goes. Next week I will bring my XLO (not ALO) coaxial cable and Squeezebox Touch to office and see how it goes without the CLAS and Silver Dragon. I am stuck with the Black Dragon balanced cable though. To cable/burn in skeptics:  go somewhere else.

Try asking some people if you can borrow. :p Hopefully the XLO is a high grade 75ohm :p

I read somewhere long time ago the silver dragons have to be burned in for 100+ hours before they stop sounding tinny. Not sure if that's accurate though, I don't have a good memory :|

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #743 of 1,793
Googleli.  My experience has sown that silver is always brighter and quite often takes a long time to smooth down the added detail.

Thankyou for undertaking the testing and sharing your findings.  

People can decide themselves which findings to adopt and which to disagree with.  

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #744 of 1,793
Whilst we are talking cables and interconnects....I was lucky enough to buy some of Qusp's connectors for the RX /CLAS and they are some of the very nicest that I have ever seen.  The piccolino is surprisingly supple.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #745 of 1,793
If you are into high end audio you will realize XLO makes much higher grade cables than any of the Headphone brands... I use it between the Oppo95 (as digital transport) and Esoteric K01 at home if that means anything to you.
Quote:
Quote:

Try asking some people if you can borrow. :p Hopefully the XLO is a high grade 75ohm :p

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #746 of 1,793
If you are into high end audio you will realize XLO makes much higher grade cables than any of the Headphone brands... I use it between the Oppo95 (as digital transport) and Esoteric K01 at home if that means anything to you.

:p Me not into high end gear yet! :p I barely just dipped my toe into the cable and headphone world. 'scuse the ignorance :)

I'm trying to think of someone with a coaxial spdif to Hirose, and Hirose to Kobi

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #747 of 1,793
I will compare the squeezebox touch and CLAS as digital transport also. Looking back at the photo of six bricks sitting in the office I start to think it is getting ridiculous. I appreciate the need to have a bunch of these for people like Skylab who does great reviews, but I am just an ordinary music lover. I never use any of the bricks when I am on the go. I will probably keep one or two of them for custom IEMs and get rid of all the rest and then have a proper desktop rig set up in the office to drive the LCD3, and cut down my time on Head-fi substantially and begin to really enjoy music.

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #748 of 1,793
(bites tongue in order not to derail the thread again)

Has anyone tried mating the CLAS with the Continental yet? Considering the Continental is a powerful mobile tube amp I'm rather curious what that pairing would be like.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #749 of 1,793

Quote:
(bites tongue in order not to derail the thread again)

Has anyone tried mating the CLAS with the Continental yet? Considering the Continental is a powerful mobile tube amp I'm rather curious what that pairing would be like.

i'll rather wait for mk3...

damn... ALO is releasing amps like there is no tomorrow...

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #750 of 1,793
I will compare the squeezebox touch and CLAS as digital transport also. Looking back at the photo of six bricks sitting in the office I start to think it is getting ridiculous. I appreciate the need to have a bunch of these for people like Skylab who does great reviews, but I am just an ordinary music lover. I never use any of the bricks when I am on the go. I will probably keep one or two of them for custom IEMs and get rid of all the rest and then have a proper desktop rig set up in the office to drive the LCD3, and cut down my time on Head-fi substantially and begin to really enjoy music.

May I ask which ones you might let go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back