Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #17 of 1,788

Quote:
has anyone popped open their solo and took a peek inside?  or is this one of those things that will either void the warranty, or is just to risky to try?

I'd love to know what the mystery DAC is.  Perhaps it's a miniature elf w/ a synthesizer.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #18 of 1,788
has anyone popped open their solo and took a peek inside?  or is this one of those things that will either void the warranty, or is just to risky to try?

In the 6moons review they open it up to look, but the chips of interest had all markings removed.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #20 of 1,788
Solo and Ultrasone... as transportable as it gets

biggrin.gif

Finding the case was a bit cumbersome. I ended up with a HPRC 2400 B. But I am only using the "inlay". The outer shell (some high quality plastic compound) is way to heavy and to big.
The inlay is protective, stable and light enough.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #21 of 1,788
Apr 22, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #23 of 1,788
So to sum it up...I saw this setup with JH13/16s (like mine), Audeze LCD2, and Ultrasone Ed8. Now who did tried this with universal iems or other phones? I'd like to know if this will also synthesize to most of the phones, coz I'm rooting for this setup as an all-rounder setup.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #24 of 1,788
drools
L3000.gif

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #25 of 1,788
That is seriously beautiful.

@dj nellie: How does the whipMOD + LOD compare to the solo setup?

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #26 of 1,788
townes, where did you get the short LOD to USB?  Ken mentioned it in a phone call, but I do not see it on the ALO website.  I really don't see a need to spend $235 for interconnects for this set-up.  I would rather use one like yours, and source a small double right angle mini-mini elsewhere.  Please let me know.  Please anyone else feel free to chime in!

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #27 of 1,788

[size=medium]
Just a thought: why do we need an extra box just to get digital signal out of the idevice? I wonder, with airplay, can the idevice just stream digital to whatever portable dac/amp? For example, the JH-3A box has a DAC and an amp, so if it is airplay compatible, you can keep your unwieldy, large portable rig in your bag and it doesnt hinder the use of your iPhone. Now that would be a huge step up in convenience for portable audio, as well as quality.
[/size]

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #30 of 1,788
Quote:
townes, where did you get the short LOD to USB?  Ken mentioned it in a phone call, but I do not see it on the ALO website.  I really don't see a need to spend $235 for interconnects for this set-up.  I would rather use one like yours, and source a small double right angle mini-mini elsewhere.  Please let me know.  Please anyone else feel free to chime in!

Yeah, that LOD is a good buy because it's compact but still long enough to give some slack to move your iPod around (or to put it on the top of your 3-layer stack with your Solo on the bottom).  I'm still thinking of eventually getting the copper LOD, mainly for the durability, but the cheaper one works fine for now. 

I spoke with Ken on the phone about various questions I had, and he was both helpful and honest.  He said he felt that the copper cable sounds better than the $12 LOD, but it's not as dramatic an improvement as the copper LOD is over the long stock cable that comes with the Solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back