Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #976 of 1,788
Thanks for the reassurances!

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #978 of 1,788
Quote:
Does Cypher Labs offer DAC upgrade in AlgoRhythm Solo ?
Or can you specify the DAC such asWolfson WM8740 or WM8741 in AlgoRhythmSolo during order?

As far as I know the Dac in he CLAS is a secret (Wolfson), I don't think they will offer an upgrade, but ask ALO and find out :wink:

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #979 of 1,788
Does anyone know if Cypher Labs will upgrade the current AlgoRhythm Solo with higher performance Wolfson DAC Chip such as WM8741 and also allow this DAC for Deskstop use?

For example the new comer Sony PHA-1 used high performance Wolfson [size=small]WM8740 in its portable DAC/AMP.[/size]

In the case of Venturecraft GO DAP-X allow its DAC for both idevices & desktop.

Hopefully [size=small]Cypher Labs will refresh its product soon.[/size]

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #980 of 1,788
Quote:
Nobody knows but Cypher Labs which or if ever an upgrade will be done to the Solo.
Drop them an email, they'll reply sooner than waiting a forum reply and guess..

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #981 of 1,788
Does anyone know if Cypher Labs will upgrade the current AlgoRhythm Solo with higher performance Wolfson DAC Chip such as WM8741 and also allow this DAC for Deskstop use?

For example the new comer Sony PHA-1 used high performance Wolfson WM8740 in its portable DAC/AMP.

In the case of Venturecraft GO DAP-X allow its DAC for both idevices & desktop.

Hopefully Cypher Labs will refresh its product soon.

Why would they need to refresh something that has received great reviews and continues to wow audiences new and old?

Also, from what I recollect they use one of Wolfsons reference grade chips anyway. I actually like that they don't go down the route of so many portable suppliers and keep coming out with 'new' designs. I have had three people this week who are well versed in high end hifi all say how remarkable the sound is that comes out of my system and that is in large part due to the solo!

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #982 of 1,788
Quote:
Why would they need to refresh something that has received great reviews and continues to wow audiences new and old?
Also, from what I recollect they use one of Wolfsons reference grade chips anyway. I actually like that they don't go down the route of so many portable suppliers and keep coming out with 'new' designs. I have had three people this week who are well versed in high end hifi all say how remarkable the sound is that comes out of my system and that is in large part due to the solo!

Well the technology is progressing every day, if you don't refresh your product someone will.This is exactly the problem.

You can see a very big surprise that Sony to enter head-fi world since they always focus in mainstream products. In Sony PHA-1, it consits of a very high grade DAC chip -Wolfson WM8740. For sure it offers another option for users who love better sound quality.

Since CLAS has been around for quite sometimes (2 years??). it is no harm for CLab to upgrade the current ASolo with a better DAC chip (may be [size=small]WM8741)  and sell at more afforable price ($499) so that many of us can enjoy the good sound.
gs1000.gif
[/size]

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #983 of 1,788
But do you know the specs of the DAC in it at the moment? As far as I am aware Cypherlabs has never disclosed the DAC they use only to say it is one of the reference grades from Wolfson. That being so the cost of it considering it is made in the US is somewhat a bargain.

How do you know the chip in the Solo is not a superior chip, just because a new one is on the market does not equate to it being better. And two years is not a long time in high end terms, Heck, look at Kondo Audio note products, some of the best sounding equipment on the market and they don't continually up grade components just because they are a couple of years old.

Some things cost more because they are worth it and one makes sacrifices elsewhere so as to acquire them. Start doing the things you suggest and i would say you harm the integrity of the product, especially when it is a class leader and innovator as the solo is.

When I am spending a lot of money I don't like it when a manufacture comes out with the latest and greatest every year, it devalues my purchase and in my experience the so called up grade turns out to be a very minor increase in sound quality. I would say Cypher Labs is not that sort of company and will only upgrade when they can offer features that are a significant change and that they find a chip that offers a significant increase in quality. I can't see them stopping this model and offering a cheaper one as that makes no sense to their philosophy of being the best!

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #984 of 1,788
Quote:
But do you know the specs of the DAC in it at the moment? As far as I am aware Cypherlabs has never disclosed the DAC they use only to say it is one of the reference grades from Wolfson. That being so the cost of it considering it is made in the US is somewhat a bargain.
How do you know the chip in the Solo is not a superior chip, just because a new one is on the market does not equate to it being better. And two years is not a long time in high end terms, Heck, look at Kondo Audio note products, some of the best sounding equipment on the market and they don't continually up grade components just because they are a couple of years old.
Some things cost more because they are worth it and one makes sacrifices elsewhere so as to acquire them. Start doing the things you suggest and i would say you harm the integrity of the product, especially when it is a class leader and innovator as the solo is.
When I am spending a lot of money I don't like it when a manufacture comes out with the latest and greatest every year, it devalues my purchase and in my experience the so called up grade turns out to be a very minor increase in sound quality. I would say Cypher Labs is not that sort of company and will only upgrade when they can offer features that are a significant change and that they find a chip that offers a significant increase in quality. I can't see them stopping this model and offering a cheaper one as that makes no sense to their philosophy of being the best!

Wolfson WM8716 is used in CLAS. You can always open up your CLAS, then you can take a close look.
By the way, please don't get me wrong. I did not say CLAS is not good.
I always believe & confident that CLab always listen to the users's feedback and always do the best for the product.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #985 of 1,788
Quote:
Wolfson WM8716 is used in CLAS. You can always open up your CLAS, then you can take a close look.
By the way, please don't get me wrong. I did not say CLAS is not good.
I always believe & confident that CLab always listen to the users's feedback and always do the best for the product.
biggrin.gif

I thought the chip codes were rubbed off, that's what people have said.

I have always wanted to know, actually.  And I really want to get the hp-p1...

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #987 of 1,788
Ok, just sent a note to cypherlabs to clear this up but also I include a link to a post made by Ken at ALO refuting that the chip mentioned above is used in the solo, apparently the model number was a guess from six moons a while ago but they got it wrong! Any how, here is the post!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/497384/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo/330#post_7231262

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #989 of 1,788
No worries Cyber, It is so easy to get confused with all the info out there, best to get it right in the end thats all that matters.
After all the whole point of any of this is enjoyment not argument eh!

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #990 of 1,788
Just had an email from David at cypherlabs. He confirmed the chip is not the one mentioned here and went on to add that it is not just about the chip but all the other components that make up a DAC which affect the sound as well which I feel is quite right.

We can get caught up on various names and so called upgrades of components when if something is done right in the beginning then it is simply right, sure, time may pass and technology changes things but it has to be a pretty profound shift to make considerable changes.

When you see, as one does with this component it being used in really high end home based systems and satisfying folks who have spent hundreds of thousands on components it speaks volumes of the basic rightness of this product.

Have you noticed as well that unlike some other much lauded giant killing products featured on headfi this one has just quietly gone about its business of providing users with a reliable, high quality sound, no constant up grades or new shiny stuff to make the previous stuff obsolete over night, no buggy issues or complex needs to simply hear music, just plug, play and revel in the music which is all it is about after all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back