Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo: A Game Changer - Head-Fi TV, Episode 003
May 22, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #107 of 122
Like you, my basic travel rig was iPod (classic) > (LOD >) Headroom Portable D.A. > IEMs/headphones. The aforementioned setup works well, is reasonably portable, and I was satisfied for several years.

However, the upgrade bug bit and now I am using:  iPod Classic > CLAS > TTVJ Slim > IEMs/headphones for travel. I utilize the ALO aftermarket CLAS interconnects, which bumps up the price associated with the CLAS.

Now would be a good time for my Standard Disclaimer: I am not an audiophile as most around here would define that term; I barely know impedance from impudence. However I do enjoy listening critically as I'd assume everybody who takes the time to be here does. I enjoy an eclectic array of music from classical to Jazz to electronic to rock to hip hop to... you get the picture. I listen mostly to Apple Lossless files on the iPod. OK with that out of the way, I will say that my upgraded travel rig blows the prior one out of the water IMO. A few specifics, remembering that I don't really speak audiophile and that these impressions are mine and mine alone:

1. The amps. The Headroom sounds "bigger" in the bass and lower midrange, but the TTVJ Slim is much tighter and seems quicker/more responsive to me. I hear more detail with the Slim. And speaking of slim, the TTVJ is quite a bit smaller than the HR. 

2. The CLAS. Waaaay more detail and clarity when used with either amp. Is it worth the price? To me, yes, but only you can answer that one for yourself. I will only say that I was very price-sensitive and therefore did a lot of thinking before upgrading.

3. The ALO interconnects. A lot of controversy surrounds this subject as I'm sure you know. All I can say is that I hear what to me is a big difference. I would go so far as to say that if you aren't going to spring for the cables, don't get the CLAS.

Again, only my opinions.

MHinGA, I completely agree. My perceptions are very much the same. The CLAS is worth the price for quality and portability.

May 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #108 of 122
Thanks, svertel, for your reply and the information. I will probably try the CLAS at some point. I'm not convinced that the ALO interconnects will make a difference because any reasonably well built cable will deliver the same audio signal; there is no real evidence for the audiophile cable being superior to a well-made, less expensive cable. However, I would like to try the ALO cables and test them in an objective double-blind test with a few listeners. I've read many good reviews about ALO and other high-end cables, and have considered them, but I'm skeptical about expensive cables. Which cables are you using specifically?

May 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #109 of 122

Quote:
Thanks, svertel, for your reply and the information. I will probably try the CLAS at some point. I'm not convinced that the ALO interconnects will make a difference because any reasonably well built cable will deliver the same audio signal; there is no real evidence for the audiophile cable being superior to a well-made, less expensive cable. However, I would like to try the ALO cables and test them in an objective double-blind test with a few listeners. I've read many good reviews about ALO and other high-end cables, and have considered them, but I'm skeptical about expensive cables. Which cables are you using specifically?

To my ears there was a huge difference, and frankly I didn't want there to be because of the cost. But I understand that others with far more knowledge than me may differ, and I have no wish to initiate the type of cables debate seen in the Audez'e thread! My experience is mine alone.

May 24, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #112 of 122
The amp is certainly marketed by ALO to go with the CLAS, and at least the exterior design was executed to match the CLAS. I preferred to sound of the TTVJ slim (think: more "analog" if that makes sense) with the CLAS. Jude is using the RSA SR-71B. You may find the following helpful as a starting point for comparing portable amps if you haven't seen it already:

Headfonia Portable Amp Comparisons.

May 24, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #113 of 122
Thanks again, svertel. I'd love to discuss the audiophile (high-cost cables, $50,000 speakers, etc.) issue with anyone who is interested. I'm sure there are many discussion about these issues in this forum.

May 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #114 of 122
I have a followup question. Isn't the Algorhythm Solo using a Wolfson DAC chip, similar to those found in the original iPods? My Headroom Portable Desktop Amp uses a CS4398 chip, so would the Solo be a DAC downgrade from my current system? 

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #116 of 122

So the SR-71A can drive LCD2's? From what I've read and experienced, they need at least 2W RMS to sound their best.
Does the SR output that kind of power?

Using them right now with my Sr-71A and Anedio D1 dac and ALO RW8-Cu 22AWG Cable. The sound is incredible. I'm guessing they scale up nicely with a powerful desktop amp, but there's nothing missing as far as I can tell. On high gain, I still can only get to around 11'oclock on the volume before it's too loud for me (med gain around 1'oclock). Bass is full and punches even at low volume.

I too was worried that the 71a wouldn't drive them. I'd been researching amps prior to their arrival and had all but convinced myself I'd need to buy one right away, that the Sr71a would essentially be useless with the LCD-2's. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Now that I've heard them together, I decided to put off desktop amp shopping and just listen to my music collection. 
o2smile.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #117 of 122
Jude, Youtube is blocked in China. I'm back vacationing in Toronto and one of the first things I did was to finally watch this video. Most articulate, sir. And I agree fully with your assessment of the Solo. It's a great component! Synergy is indeed key. I, like many others, am loving the Solo+Stepdance combo. With the ES5 in particular, it is stunning. Actually I just listened to that for much of the trip across the Pacific (where the isolation from engines is really nice). Sick? Oh ya, the combo is sick!.

Great video. I am off to watch the Phonitor episode..  :)

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #118 of 122

Quote:
Jude, Youtube is blocked in China. I'm back vacationing in Toronto and one of the first things I did was to finally watch this video. Most articulate, sir. And I agree fully with your assessment of the Solo. It's a great component! Synergy is indeed key. I, like many others, am loving the Solo+Stepdance combo. With the ES5 in particular, it is stunning. Actually I just listened to that for much of the trip across the Pacific (where the isolation from engines is really nice). Sick? Oh ya, the combo is sick!.

Great video. I am off to watch the Phonitor episode..  :)

Maybe he should make a download link available to those in China?

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #120 of 122
I have been playing with the clas for a while. Its a good sounding unit but don't compare it to some other well designed desktop dacs. To me clas sounds no better than 300$ micro dac from headroom however it has the portability rarely found on other dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back