Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo: A Game Changer - Head-Fi TV, Episode 003
Apr 20, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #76 of 122
Check out what I got in the mail yesterday!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #78 of 122
I know that the iPad can use a variety of external DACs through the camera connection kit, and of course the dream would be to extend this capability to the ipod family. Just wondering, as a cheaper alternative to the CLAS, is there a list of audio players (preferably HDD based) that have descent UIs and can use any (or most) external DAC or DAC + Amp Combo?

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #80 of 122
Quote:
I know that the iPad can use a variety of external DACs through the camera connection kit, and of course the dream would be to extend this capability to the ipod family. Just wondering, as a cheaper alternative to the CLAS, is there a list of audio players (preferably HDD based) that have descent UIs and can use any (or most) external DAC or DAC + Amp Combo?

In terms of portable players with a digital out, I'm only aware of the iRiver H1x0 line (optical out).  But if anyone knows of other portables that can be used as a digital transport, I'd like to learn about them.  I hope innovations like the Solo and the JH3A will lead to the release of more cheap, small DAPs that can be used as transports.

Quote:
I dont know if Ive missed, but what wolfson dac it uses?

It's being kept secret for some reason, I'm not sure why--could a competitor really replicate the Solo that easily just based on knowing which DAC was used?  The 6moons review had a picture with the chip blacked out. I'm not about to try to open my Solo, since knowing what the DAC is wouldn't mean much to me--I'm perfectly happy with the way it sounds.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #81 of 122

Quote:

Products mentioned in the video:

1. Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo battery-powered iPod/iPhone/iPad digital dock and DAC (digital-to-analog converter)
  2. beyerdynamic DT 1350 headphones
  3. Sennheiser / adidas HD 25-1 II Originals headphones
  4. Audeze LCD-2 planar magnetic headphones
  5. ALO Audio:  various dock cables and headphone cable (with adapter system) for Audeze LCD-2

What amp did you use along with the Algorythm Solo? You had the DAC you reviewed and then the amp, which I did not notice mentioned. I want to build this exact rig with the Beyers :)

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #82 of 122

Quote:

What amp did you use along with the Algorythm Solo? You had the DAC you reviewed and then the amp, which I did not notice mentioned. I want to build this exact rig with the Beyers :)

Nevermind I found it on page 3 i think but you still should put it in the products used list. Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B amp for those who read this post.

May 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #84 of 122
Hi !
My question is to anyone who can to help me, l'm not very knowledgeable about what audio equipment can do so here goes, at sometime in the future l'm buying the Esoteric K-01  SACD + D/A player, l'm also considering the Cypher Labs Algorhythm solo to go with my ipod + pico slim,  my query is, can music from an ipod via the solo that is connected to the K-01  using a RCA coaxial cable be heard from headphones via a headphone amp that is also connected to the K-01, if that makes any sense, l look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
                                                                                                           Thanks,
                                                                                                             Dave.

May 1, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #85 of 122
Quote:
Hi !
My question is to anyone who can to help me, l'm not very knowledgeable about what audio equipment can do so here goes, at sometime in the future l'm buying the Esoteric K-01  SACD + D/A player, l'm also considering the Cypher Labs Algorhythm solo to go with my ipod + pico slim,  my query is, can music from an ipod via the solo that is connected to the K-01  using a RCA coaxial cable be heard from headphones via a headphone amp that is also connected to the K-01, if that makes any sense, l look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
                                                                                                           Thanks,
                                                                                                             Dave.

Dave, the K-01 has (among other inputs) a digital coax (RCA) input.  If I understand correctly, you're asking if you could go iPod/Solo--(digital)-->K-01-as-DAC--(analog)-->headphone amp.  That is, in addition to its use portably with your Pico, you want to use the iPod/Solo as a transport for the K-01, correct?

If so, then, yes, you should be good with that.

May 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #86 of 122

Yes Jude, l believe that's what l'm asking,  my headphones are  Stax sr007mk1's and  have on order Justin's BHSE, what l'm hoping to do is listen to music through the BHSE from an ipod the way l was asking, but you put it  in a lot better way to understand than me Jude, l've got a few CD's and also some SACD's but l've got some song's on my ipod  l haven't got on discs, so as l say  l'm hoping to use the solo  with the K-01 and also the pico slim so l'll be killing two birds with one stone as the saying goes ,while l'm sending this message Jude l'd just like to say  the idea about the videos you do is an excellent one, in fact l really enjoy going on Head-fi.
                                                                 Thanks Jude,
                                                                            Dave.

May 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #87 of 122

With me being from England, which is the best place to buy the solo, the place would have to do paypal.

Dave.

May 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #88 of 122
Hi, what's the main difference between tha CLAS and other DACs with USB imput like, lets say, the iBasso D4 and the Fiio E7? In my understanding those last two don't bypass the ipod DAC so whats the main purpose for those having a USB imput? Thanks

May 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #89 of 122
Quote:

With me being from England, which is the best place to buy the solo, the place would have to do paypal.

Dave.                                                                      

Have you looked at the ALO website?  They deliver internationally and accept PayPal. 

Quote:
Hi, what's the main difference between tha CLAS and other DACs with USB imput like, lets say, the iBasso D4 and the Fiio E7? In my understanding those last two don't bypass the ipod DAC so whats the main purpose for those having a USB imput? Thanks

The Solo is specifically designed to accept USB input from an iDevice, whereas other USB DACs can accept input from any other source with a USB output (generally computers).  If you plugged in a typical USB DAC to an iPod, I believe you would just be re-converting the analog output from the iPod to digital and then back to analog.  Other USB DACs aren't able to extract a digital feed from an iPod.

May 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #90 of 122
I already have an iPod 4G, would the Solo add anything to the performance, or will it simply be an expensive toy for me to use the exact same DAC (or something similar)?

Also, if the solo does provide a step-up, would it make sense for me to go with an ALO amp, or go with an RSA amp like the Shadow or the SR-71a?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back