Cypher Labs Algorhythm Duet
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #138 of 353
Have u seen the review for duet by headfonia and ohm image. They have the quite opposite review. How it happens.

Opinions and interpretations of the things we hear will differ from person to person, check the comments of Headfonia's Audeze LCD-XC. The websites other moderator and frequent writer, Mike, wrote a mini-review/his own impressions of the Duet. It's different from the two you've mentioned but leaning towards the one done by ohm-image (who is actually now also writing for Headfonia)

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #140 of 353
Where can I find Mike's review? I cant see it in the article.

Just read the ohm review and I dont find them too different. Headfonia says there is more focus on the bass and mids where ohm says they are more linear but they agree on the treble. I have the Duet and I do feel there is a bass and mids focus

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #141 of 353

Just read the ohm review and I dont find them too different. Headfonia says there is more focus on the bass and mids where ohm says they are more linear but they agree on the treble. I have the Duet and I do feel there is a bass and mids focus

You can check it out on the comments section of the LCD-XC review. Its just a short comment about the Duet compairing it to the MK 3B...

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #142 of 353

but ohm preferred duet than theorem but Lieven preference is quite reverse

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #145 of 353
  but ohm preferred duet than theorem but Lieven preference is quite reverse

I prefer DUET due to its slightly more laid back upper midrange and much less background noise. 720 is an awesome amp/DAC but if you use earphones, you will hear the hiss, no matter the make. The DUET is nearly silent and also has great control over the usable volume range through its volume pot. The 720 is more aggressive. If I was using headphones only, I'd probably prefer the DT880 with the DUET and the HD600 with the 720. But that is preference. Both are very high performance amps, but the DUET has a much quieter background. I can't pass that up. If you primarily use headphones either one will be great. Of course, if you don't need the DAC, or if you need it, there is only one choice for you. 

Me? I'm a DUET guy as most of my battery headphone amp listening is done portably, and with earphones. Lieven is probably more of a home listener. And my ears have been called 'hiss kings', meaning, I hear hiss with grave alacrity. It's a curse.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #146 of 353
  I prefer DUET due to its slightly more laid back upper midrange and much less background noise. 720 is an awesome amp/DAC but if you use earphones, you will hear the hiss, no matter the make. The DUET is nearly silent and also has great control over the usable volume range through its volume pot. The 720 is more aggressive. If I was using headphones only, I'd probably prefer the DT880 with the DUET and the HD600 with the 720. But that is preference. Both are very high performance amps, but the DUET has a much quieter background. I can't pass that up. If you primarily use headphones either one will be great. Of course, if you don't need the DAC, or if you need it, there is only one choice for you. 

Me? I'm a DUET guy as most of my battery headphone amp listening is done portably, and with earphones. Lieven is probably more of a home listener. And my ears have been called 'hiss kings', meaning, I hear hiss with grave alacrity. It's a curse.

How are you able to carry around a 3-stack (iphone -> clas db -> duet) in your pocket though? That's the main reason I prefer the Theorem for portable use, as the stack is smaller and the hiss with my IE800s is tolerable for portable use.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #147 of 353
I don't use a CLAS dB when out and about. And honestly, when I use stacks, it is from my bag. The DUET is large, but if you wear cargos it and a source do well enough. Truth be told, when I go light, I go with an iPod shuffle 512mb and my favourite earphones. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #148 of 353
Just curious - if you love the Duet so much, why are you selling it?

Regards, Ole.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #149 of 353
I agree. The duet is superb and the combo with the solo -db exceeds any previous portable experience I've had by quite a decent margain. Awesomely black background with iems- smooth, spacious and detailed with nuance. Very nice indeed. I just wish I could use more of the volume pot with iems on low gain; I use very little of it. Thank goodness it's balance is very good with sensitive stuff. My F111 has never sounded better.

Sorry - here is the original post I was referencing above. I am very intrigued with the Duet - just curious why shotgunshane is selling it if it is that good. 

Appreciate your thoughts.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #150 of 353
Sorry - here is the original post I was referencing above. I am very intrigued with the Duet - just curious why shotgunshane is selling it if it is that good. 

Appreciate your thoughts.

I'm selling strictly due to size. The solo>duet stack is transportable but not pocketable. Most of my listening is on the go (office, commute, front porch, etc) and I just find myself less and less willing to deal with the bulk, so I'm looking to replace it with something pocketable. Most likely a high end dap. If money were no object I would definitely keep it but must sell to fund a dap (solo alread sold). I'll miss how well the F111 scales with it, especially connected balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back